Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Does the Model 3 Handle Extreme Heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done quite a bit of research (I'm no expert) on the Model 3 I'm ready to make the jump in the next month or so. However I still have a few questions with regards to Florida and similar climates that I'm hoping some here might shed some light on.

• How does the Model 3 handle the extreme heat & humidity in the summer in Florida or anywhere with extreme heat/humidity?
  • What type of battery loss should I expect with it being in the sun for up to 12 hours a day while I'm working?
  • My insurance quote for the M3 is only $100 over what I'm currently paying is this normal as I heard it can be significantly more. I've had auto insurance do this before then say opps and raise it after the fact. No accidents, perfect credit and virtually no debt beyond a mortgage.
  • What are people here in Florida roughly paying to recharge their M3?
  • I've noticed there's no Florida tax credits/breaks or rebates and nothing from the local power utility beyond the federal tax credit.
I'm probably going to get a Model 3 SR+, I've love a LR but just can't justify the extra $9,000 for an extra 70 miles. I'm in a new home with a garage, charging and electrical at here isn't an issue luckily. For 99% of my trips I can get there and back charge at home. There are a few places I go and finding no nearby super chargers does concern me. Lots of charging in and around the main metro areas and along the interstates but the middle of the state next to nothing. I've heard mixed reviews on other charging options e.g. chargepoint. I know the few that are in this area don't ever work. Most of them where taken out. I'm saying all this knowing fine well that a changing of thinking from driving a traditional vehicle is needed and will come.

Saint Petersburg here.
How does the Model 3 handle the extreme heat & humidity in the summer in Florida or anywhere with extreme heat/humidity?
Very well, the AC is one of the best I've had. It cools fast, and then once the cabin is at temp, seems to be barely working. I set mine to 72-74 and forget about it. That said, there is evidence that storing batteries at higher temps hurts their longetivity.

What type of battery loss should I expect with it being in the sun for up to 12 hours a day while I'm working?
This is unknown. @RockStar about said no loss in 6 years. That's encouraging. I've only had mine since April but that's the entirety of the Florida summer and I have none reported (still 310).

My insurance quote for the M3 is only $100 over what I'm currently paying is this normal as I heard it can be significantly more. I've had auto insurance do this before then say opps and raise it after the fact. No accidents, perfect credit and virtually no debt beyond a mortgage.
I had the same experience with USAA. My M3P was only about $30 more than my 2013 Audi S5. That being said, I've read horror stories of Geico and other companies which are now charging crazy rates due to what they perceive as "higher than the industry norm repair costs". From a safety standpoint, you items related to safety will be low.

What are people here in Florida roughly paying to recharge their M3?
Progress Energy. My costs are (7.633+3.698+0.249) are 11.58 cents for <1000KWh and (
9.259+4.698+0.249) 14.206 cents thereafter. (Those numbers are energy charge, fuel charge, and some junk charge). I just say I'm at 14.2 since I was always over 1000KWh. So a full tank for a 75KW battery is $10.65 plus maybe a few percent for energy transfer inefficiency or about 3.4 cents a mile.

I've noticed there's no Florida tax credits/breaks or rebates and nothing from the local power utility beyond the federal tax credit.
Sucks. Same here with Progress Energy.

Reactions: George75
Hi George,
I had the same thoughts about buying the SR+ vs LR and ended up with the SR+. I couldn't justify the extra price. I'm in Florida (near Jacksonville) and have had no issues with heat. Turning on the A/C 5 minutes before getting in the car if left out in the sun all day is helpful, as well as a windshield visor.

I have Progressive and policy went up $100 every 6 months.

I took a trip to Orlando last month. Charged at free public chargers during the trip (outlet malls, Millenia) and our hotel, and returned home with 30% without needing use of a supercharger.