Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good is RWD in the winter

If you were to buy a new Tesla, would you still buy a RWD or change to an AWD

• Stay with RWD

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • Change to AWD

Votes: 28 36.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a good video with various tire(s) having traction compared to an Audi Quattro. The last ones show only one tire with any grip.

While the system is good at putting power to the tire that needs it, eventually, it is slower than I expect given it’s design. Drive the car hard with the stock tires on snow and ice and you immediately see the shortcomings. Getting stuck is not really a concern for me, that just about never happens. However, the vehicle being stable and controlled is a high priority for winter driving, and I don’t feel the AWD system offers that much of that. Electronic systems are great when they’re implemented very well, but Model 3 is sluggish at pulling power out of an axle that’s slipping, and it’s even slower at putting power to the other axle that’s currently sitting idle. The car does this weird wiggle when you hammer the throttle around a corner with low traction. Power surges front to back, it’s kinda strange. In a straight line this is mostly fine, and it’s a technically competent system. But I still find it a bit annoying. When you give the car enough feedback, it works brilliantly. The driving dynamics with the stock tires on wet roads I think are brilliant. But on snow and ice there’s just so little resistance, the tires light right up before the car catches it. If you’re cornering while this happens, the car slides way more than I’m accustomed to with modern stability control. And of course you can’t turn any of these systems off, or force a full time 4WD with even power split, which would be stellar.

While the system is good at putting power to the tire that needs it, eventually, it is slower than I expect given it’s design. Drive the car hard with the stock tires on snow and ice and you immediately see the shortcomings. Getting stuck is not really a concern for me, that just about never happens. However, the vehicle being stable and controlled is a high priority for winter driving, and I don’t feel the AWD system offers that much of that. Electronic systems are great when they’re implemented very well, but Model 3 is sluggish at pulling power out of an axle that’s slipping, and it’s even slower at putting power to the other axle that’s currently sitting idle. The car does this weird wiggle when you hammer the throttle around a corner with low traction. Power surges front to back, it’s kinda strange. In a straight line this is mostly fine, and it’s a technically competent system. But I still find it a bit annoying. When you give the car enough feedback, it works brilliantly. The driving dynamics with the stock tires on wet roads I think are brilliant. But on snow and ice there’s just so little resistance, the tires light right up before the car catches it. If you’re cornering while this happens, the car slides way more than I’m accustomed to with modern stability control. And of course you can’t turn any of these systems off, or force a full time 4WD with even power split, which would be stellar.

I’ve driven every combo drivetrain in the snow..each with all season, performance snow tires, studless snow tires and even summer tires on a wrx....caught off guard with a freak snow. My latest awd’s having been audi avant, wrx’s and a g35x. Love driving in the snow....been known for driven through blizzards to get some fresh powder on the slopes lol. I haven’t driven my p3d with blizzaks in a blizzard yet but have driven it in a couple mild snow storms...and it’s just as capable as any of the awd cars I’ve had. What you have to realize is that considering the amount of rear bias, instant torque being put down and the amount of HP the p3d puts down....the TC imo does a great job. I wouldn’t consider it slow to respond.. looking at the roller tests it doesn’t take longer to get off the rollers....in fact it is even quicker than other awd systems. That being said it comes down to the tires...and from what most people say...the all season tires on the awd are definitely not confidence inspiring in the snow and ps4s are useless.

As far as hammering it in a corner with low traction....I haven’t noticed the wiggle, but If you’re not spinning out than I think TC is doing it’s job. You shouldn’t be hammering it in a corner anyway...unless you want to drift. Which in that case throw it in track mode and you can have plenty of fun!

Another anecdote with SR+ here. Traction control in snow/slush while moving is surprisingly good even with stock tires (MXM4). Starting from a standstill uphill (which happens a lot here) is dismal. Fortunately I did not get stuck on a public road. Car slid backwards in a parking spot and didn't have traction to get back into place. Struggled a while with slip start trying to wiggle out of my own damned driveway and decided to just stay home for that day. Some extra traction (chains or winter tires) definitely required. Sadly it rarely snows more than a week out of the year here (if at all) so doesn't make a lot of sense to own an extra set of tires.