Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'21 Model Y SR - Thoughts/Considerations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! First time caller, long time listener here, and I'd love some feedback on my potential decision to purchase a new (to me) MY.

I snagged what felt like a good deal through Tesla's Pre-owned inventory (here in Ontario). Details as follows:

2021 Model Y SR RWD
19" Gemini Wheels
FSD
Accident-Free
40,000KM
$42,600
CPO Warranty until 03/2026

The car will be used primarily for daily driving, with our total daily KMs being between 20-120 depending on the day (most of this driving is done on empty-ish suburban roads at 50-90km/h). I'd be charging the vehicle overnight at home on a 40 amp circuit (which should give me 50km/per hour), but also happen live about 2 KMs from a 150w supercharger.

As for road trips, we generally don't take more than 1-2 longer trips a year (usually Montreal or Detroit).

Now here's my question. With the reduced range of the MYSR, am I likely to run into issues with range or frustrations around how far I can get without charging? I'm not acutely aware of what real world range looks like on the '21 MYSR as it doesn't have the more common LFP battery.

All in all, is there anything about the vehicle and it's abilities that would prevent me from enjoying it fully? Should I shell out a considerable amount more $$$ for a MYLR? ($20k+ at this point)

Reactions: Soul Surfer
From everything you described, the car will be perfect for you. No concerns whatsoever. With home charging, the Supercharger near your house is irrelavent. It's the ones 200 km+ away from your house on your commonly travelled routes that actually matter so you have enough charge to get to distant destinations and back home again. Where you live, Superchargers are abundant.

If I were to do anything, I'd get a set of 18" wheels and put winter tires on those, leaving the 19" wheels for the summertime. That's it. Enjoy the car!

Reactions: Soul Surfer
The supercharger network in Southern Ontario and the rust belt is sufficiently built out that you shouldn't have any issues with range. I would check and see if your vehicle has CCS support, as that gives you the option of using 3rd party chargers, either immediately with a CCS adapter, or in the future when plugs are converted to NACS.

I found that my 3 SR+ with an advertised range of 384km was only good for ~290km at highway speeds (110km/h) in ideal weather (20C), but started to drop off a bit running the A/C and a huge amount in cold weather, although your Y will have a heat pump, which is a lot better than resistive heat.

Last edited:
Hey all! First time caller, long time listener here, and I'd love some feedback on my potential decision to purchase a new (to me) MY.

I snagged what felt like a good deal through Tesla's Pre-owned inventory (here in Ontario). Details as follows:

2021 Model Y SR RWD
19" Gemini Wheels
FSD
Accident-Free
40,000KM
$42,600
CPO Warranty until 03/2026

The car will be used primarily for daily driving, with our total daily KMs being between 20-120 depending on the day (most of this driving is done on empty-ish suburban roads at 50-90km/h). I'd be charging the vehicle overnight at home on a 40 amp circuit (which should give me 50km/per hour), but also happen live about 2 KMs from a 150w supercharger.

As for road trips, we generally don't take more than 1-2 longer trips a year (usually Montreal or Detroit).

Now here's my question. With the reduced range of the MYSR, am I likely to run into issues with range or frustrations around how far I can get without charging? I'm not acutely aware of what real world range looks like on the '21 MYSR as it doesn't have the more common LFP battery.

All in all, is there anything about the vehicle and it's abilities that would prevent me from enjoying it fully? Should I shell out a considerable amount more $$$ for a MYLR? ($20k+ at this point)
Wow, what location was this deal from? Do you have a app or site you use to get updates on used vehicles?