Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good is the air conditioning really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had brought it up long before that I suspected the Y's AC wouldn't be as good/fast as the 3 since if they are sharing the same system and with the Y's increased interior volume. But that was before we knew about the heat pump.

I've been wanting to do some testing/comparisons between my 3 and Y. It is supposed to get ~115 in the Phoenix area. I've already noticed that just sitting in my garage the "Climate/Interior" of the Y is usually 3 or 4 degrees warmer than the 3 in the app. A sunlight comparison might not be fair yet though since my 3 is tinted whereas my Y is not yet (appointment 7/15).
Where did you go for the window tint?

I have observed on other cars that if you put the temp on Lo, it automatically opens the outside vent, turning off the recirculation. Wouldn't be surprised if the Tesla's work the same way. It might be some kind of regulation for fresh air under those conditions.

So I always put it one step up from Lo with recirc on, if I want max cooling.

Agreed--I never use the auto setting in any vehicle as it's too annoying. The auto setting in the Model Y is no different.

I personally cannot stand the "auto" setting. The fact that the system will turn the fan up to full blast when you get in the car is what's unbearable. I never want the fan on full blast. I'd rather have the car take longer to cool down than get blown away. I have never had a car where I was happy with the "auto" mode.

Well AC has worked well until today. Intermittently blows cold then warm air. I checked with my temp gauge 55 degrees then 75 degrees. The coolest I can get the interior is 80 with it set to low for 1 hour. It’s a102 today. Any ideas?

@CaliX, did you recently get 2020.24.6.5? We had 2020.20.12 and never had an issue. Yesterday we got 2020.24.6.5, and now we're having the same symptoms. About 107º today in Las Vegas. Tried LO and 64º both on auto and manual, and simply got recirculated air, not being cooled. Couldn't get interior temp below 88º.

@CaliX, did you recently get 2020.24.6.5? We had 2020.20.12 and never had an issue. Yesterday we got 2020.24.6.5, and now we're having the same symptoms. About 107º today in Las Vegas. Tried LO and 64º both on auto and manual, and simply got recirculated air, not being cooled. Couldn't get interior temp below 88º.
My only work around has been to turn off A/C(button not blue) then crank the heat to full blast for a few minutes then bring temp back down to mid 60s and turn on A/C. Let me know if it works for you.

yes I did update to 2020.24.6.5 I was just thinking that might be the problem.

Just did a cross country road trip with our new MY...driving through Arizona, etc was brutal- especially when supercharging- cabin temp rarely cooled down (understandably the 100+F degree outside makes it more challenging....but we were sweating the entire trip through the warmer states. we had our dog, too, and he struggled in the back seat. Could it be the heat pump? Help! This is not cool (pun intended).

Just did a cross country road trip with our new MY...driving through Arizona, etc was brutal- especially when supercharging- cabin temp rarely cooled down (understandably the 100+F degree outside makes it more challenging....but we were sweating the entire trip through the warmer states. we had our dog, too, and he struggled in the back seat. Could it be the heat pump? Help! This is not cool (pun intended).
My X has a more traditional A/C and will freeze you out if you let it. It sucks power to do this, but I will trade range for a cooler cabin.

My X has a more traditional A/C and will freeze you out if you let it. It sucks power to do this, but I will trade range for a cooler cabin.

update: just got off phone w Tesla service. Apparently it’s showing that our A/C is not working properly on their end....so trying to get us in ASAP as we hit the road again in two days! Concerning that we did not get any notifications, though....

update: just got off phone w Tesla service. Apparently it’s showing that our A/C is not working properly on their end....so trying to get us in ASAP as we hit the road again in two days! Concerning that we did not get any notifications, though....
Did you tint your car, including the roof? Makes a big difference...

We just got back from AZ and SoCal desert, max temp 118F and AC kept cabin at 70F easily, even Supercharging at 110F. Power consumption, however, was 100Wh/mi higher than in comparable situations with our M3.

I spent the heat wave last week, out in the desert region. Same, +115F days and it kept a 70F cabin without issue. A/C kept the cabin consistently cool even after a 114F supercharging session. More surprisingly, we averaged 300Wh/mi while driving +70mph most of the time.

No window or roof tint, however we did use a windshield sunscreen whenever we parked or supercharged

I spent the heat wave last week, out in the desert region. Same, +115F days and it kept a 70F cabin without issue. A/C kept the cabin consistently cool even after a 114F supercharging session. More surprisingly, we averaged 300Wh/mi while driving +70mph most of the time.

No window or roof tint, however we did use a windshield sunscreen whenever we parked or supercharged
Overall, from Sedona to OC, consumption was 310Wh/mi, but the leg from Ehrenberg to Riverside SpCs was 369 Wh/Mile with average speed 71mph and max of 86mph.

The Y is definitely more power hungry than our M3, but what a sweet road trip car!

Reactions: captanzuelo

Submit a service ticket using your app, make sure to give them the dates and times your A/C failed as mine did, the Virtual Tech will want to pull your files.

They replaced the High Pressure Temp Sensor and the Super Manifold, also while it was there I requested the acoustic air compressor blanket. There is now a service bulletin on this issue. My service center had me up and running in less then 24 hours. We have 3 SC here in town and parts came from the other locations

Took my MY into 105 degree weather 2 or 3 days ago and the A/C held up 65 degrees for 7 hours. 3 hours to get to Yermo Ca from San Diego and 4 hours return and I mean Ice Cold.

In the mean time this is what you do to temporary fix this issue,

1. Reboot the car, 2 button steering wheel method

2. Turn the Auto button to off in the A/C screen so you run it manually.

3. Turn on Recirculate air so that you are not blowing hot air from outside.

4. Set the Air temp to 62 - 63 degrees and no lower and definitely not in the Lo setting.

We have found this to work well, also we have found that when setting the A/C to Lo, the cold air will shut down around 77 - 80 degrees and won’t blow cold air at all. You would have to do the reset and follow those steps above.

Fred