Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good is the air conditioning really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had no issues with AC following a road trip where exterior temperatures were between 110 and 120F, we also had to supercharge a couple of times during the trip. Yes, cooling would slightly decrease after supercharging while additional cooling was diverted to the battery, however it was still very pleasant in the car given what was going on outside.

Reactions: Dennisis
Mine defaults to only having the driver's side vent on if I'm driving alone.

THANK YOU Jcanoe! Turning the passenger vent on made all the difference in the world. My drive home was cool and comfortable. It's a big annoying that this isn't the default setting though.
Tesla turns off the passenger side vents, rear vents by default to save energy. (You can aim the passenger side dash vent towards you.)

In my experience, the AC has adequate capability most of the time, but how the car controls the AC and responses to external environment changes are sometimes lagging. It is very apparent to me that when I drive from shade to full sun exposure, I immediately feel heat on my body but the interior air temperature does not change immediately to make the AC or fan go higher. The all-glass roof makes this a bigger problem than other cars. But to be fair, this is a challenge that you can find with any car.

Reactions: captanzuelo
I just finished a trip from the SF Bay Area to Seattle and back during the heat bubble...temps well over 100 all the way through Oregon and Washington. The AC kept us cool the entire time...had it set between 68-72 because at times 68 was too cold.

Reactions: MY-Y
In my experience, the AC has adequate capability most of the time, but how the car controls the AC and responses to external environment changes are sometimes lagging. It is very apparent to me that when I drive from shade to full sun exposure, I immediately feel heat on my body but the interior air temperature does not change immediately to make the AC or fan go higher. The all-glass roof makes this a bigger problem than other cars. But to be fair, this is a challenge that you can find with any car.
Remember, the same heat pump that cools the cabin also cools the battery. The battery generally gets the priority.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The AC works fine on my Model Y. I am in So Cal, I set mine to 68-70, and it keeps the car cool, I have the fan speed set at speed 3-5. I do use the Climate cooling remotely when the car has been parked outside under the sun. Drove from LA to Roseville area and did not have issues with the AC keeping the car cool.