Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good of a deal is Performance AWD for 50k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
32E3454E-FF8E-4F97-9C11-98430CF2A2D6.jpeg

I’ve literally been responding to 100s of request for these $50k Sleeper models and talking to over 10 OAs al over the US the demand is insane. Tesla denies they exist and you can only order them via an OA only. If you guys are interested send me a PM and I can share with you local OA to score one as I don’t understand why it’s not posted.

I also run Teslashowroomdeals.com so that’s how I am getting the data.

Last edited:
I provided vin to insurance and they asked me to select a model. The top of the line ludicrous S was 2x the rate of a s100d for me.

They didn’t verify anything, but I did have to sign a paper that showed the selected model and the vin. I did tell the truth - and did get a regular S due to the insurance cost.

Everyone is different, companies are different, and models are different. Pays to check before purchase. I brought a bunch of vins from the Tesla inventory list to my agent.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
In order to confirm you actually received a M3P- vs. M3D I assume you would look for Track Mode in the menu and perform a 0-60 time?

Easiest is look for a red underline on the display, track mode probably next easiest, since neither even requires taking car out of park :)

0-60 is a distance 3rd method and only if you have enough experience/reference to tell or a relatively reliable measuring device.

• Informative
Reactions: raptor5244
Uh... no.

You provided 100% of the info they asked for, accurately.

There's no fraud there at all.

You'll be paid exactly what you should be based on the actual car you have.

You would be paid on the Actual car and coverage noted in the policy

If that’s wrong it’s on you.....

If there is a Difference between the Actual Claim And The Policy

Best case You don’t have the coverage you think you have, lower payout.
Worst case Refund Of Premium Or Fraud

Take it up with your States Insurance Commissioner And arbitration

You would be paid on the Actual car and coverage noted in the policy

If that’s wrong it’s on you.....

But it wouldn't be wrong. I gave them the VIN, which is all they asked for.

The actual policy lists that VIN as covered.

If they failed to ask additional details they thought they might need later that's on them

Now if they HAD asked if it was a P and I said no, that would be fraud. But they didn't.

They just said "For this VIN we will insure you for X premium and Y coverage" and I paid X premium so they are obligated, legally, to deliver Y coverage.

Best case You don’t have the coverage you think you have, lower payout.
Worst case Refund Of Premium Or Fraud

Literally none of that is true.

But it wouldn't be wrong. I gave them the VIN, which is all they asked for.

The actual policy lists that VIN as covered.

If they failed to ask additional details they thought they might need later that's on them

Now if they HAD asked if it was a P and I said no, that would be fraud. But they didn't.

They just said "For this VIN we will insure you for X premium and Y coverage" and I paid X premium so they are obligated, legally, to deliver Y coverage.

Literally none of that is true.
You are correct. If that’s all they asked, you’re good. In my case the specifically asked me to select from a list of models.

When I purchased the S100D right when it came out it wasn’t in the system. My choices were s90d or p1000dl. They felt the 100 was the important part of the match, so had to refer it all back to the underwriting department to get it all resolved.

The 3 had a model match and wasn’t an issue.

My insurance company asked me how much I paid for the car and presumably factored that in to the cost of insurance. I suspect that is more relevant than how fast the car is to establishing pricing for the premium. Some insurance companies may raise prices if they classify the performance model as a race car but I wouldn’t expect that to be universal across all insurance companies. The Model 3 is still classified overall as a four door family sedan. It’s not in the same category as a Corvette or other race car.

I can confirm these exist. On Friday, I purchased a white Model 3 LR AWD Performance for $49,990. It was one of three available at the Nashville store. The consultant said they thought it was a factory mistake when the three vehicles arrived. After talking with HQ, they were told that 1400 of these were produced. It has 18-inch aero wheels, the standard (smaller) brakes and rotors, and dual motor badge. I'm picking it up tomorrow, so I'll try to post my impressions.

I can confirm these exist. On Friday, I purchased a white Model 3 LR AWD Performance for $49,990. It was one of three available at the Nashville store. The consultant said they thought it was a factory mistake when the three vehicles arrived. After talking with HQ, they were told that 1400 of these were produced. It has 18-inch aero wheels, the standard (smaller) brakes and rotors, and dual motor badge. I'm picking it up tomorrow, so I'll try to post my impressions.

The front tires on my M3P+ get loose and wander a bit left and right under hard acceleration as the weight transfers to the rear. I am curious what you will experience with the 18s when you really get on it.

The insurance question is one that I will need to figure out before deciding. My rates are already a bit high, so that might be a dealbreaker.

Insurance on our P3D- versus a newer Chevy Volt went up by $11 per month. I provided VIN and price paid. There is nothing that indicates to the insurance company that it is a Performance model.