Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How intelligent is the Tesla Wall Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case I have an HPWC installed in my garage set to 40A max as it comes off of a 60A sub panel because it was too much hassle to come of of the main panel, I decided that the 40A rate would suffice, My FAU is the highest demand on the panel plus a few other low draw circuits, still because of the 125' run after going from main to sub to HPWC I get excess voltage drop even though we have 6 gauge from the main all the way to the HPWC, I typically vary the charging speed on the touch screen, I set it to 20A and if it is extremely low then ill set it to 32A, I always set it to start charging after 9pm when the TOU rate drops.

Separate circuit breakers does not necessarily mean a separate circuit. If they combine into one circuit after the individual breakers, it's still on the same circuit. But I understand your point.
What? No. Each breaker is meant to handle a separate circuit. You can’t rejoin the wires after the breaker to combine multiple breakers in parallel back into one circuit.

Gen 3 wall connector requires separate breakers with dedicated wiring to each wall connector if you have multiple.

By that logic, everything connected to a subpanel would be on one circuit.
Correct, but not the same branch circuit. A branch circuit goes from the last breaker to the load. Each Wall Connector requires its own branch circuit.

NEC allows sub panels to feed sub panels. Each sub panel has a main breaker, and everything downstream from that main breaker is in the circuit of that main breaker, and so on.

Each Wall Connector can be on its own sub panel, and still be in the sub panel circuit that feeds the wall connector sub panels.

The Tesla wall connector manual states "...power sharing allows a single electrical circuit to support multiple Gen 3 Wall Connectors..."

Electrical curcuit and branch circuit is not necessarily the same thing.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Thanks for this recommendation - was not aware this was an option! :cool:
If you do set up a 3rd party app to control charging, keep that in mind in case you think charging is starting or stopping when you don't want it to. Your first reaction might be that something is wrong with your wall charger, or with the car, but it could be the 3rd party app.

What? No. Each breaker is meant to handle a separate circuit. You can’t rejoin the wires after the breaker to combine multiple breakers in parallel back into one circuit.

Gen 3 wall connector requires separate breakers with dedicated wiring to each wall connector if you have multiple.
Sure glad I ran each of my charging wiring to a separate breaker, with 6 gauge, thhn, 125c wiring I believe.
Just want to know if a gen 4 is coming soon, before I spend the month on wall chargers. (Just for the fun of it)

Reactions: HitchHiker71