Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long before I receive my plates from DMV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to go into the DMV to receive our plates for our Model 3. We received the car around January 10. By May 15, still no plates. We had called Tesla twice, and we were assured that the plates were in processing by DMV. Har-dee-har-har!

I went to an outlying DMV on May 18 or so, showed up thirty minutes before opening, and I emerged with plates around 10:30. The agent had no idea why we never received them.

I will try to order stickers without plates then

You cant order the stickers without a permanent registration according to what I read. "Permanent" registration is signified when you receive your plates.

To answer your original question, I purchased my Model 3p on 12/04 (paid by bank draft check and cashiers check). I got my permanent plates on 12/22. I was surprised it came that fast, actually.

I only mention how I paid as I have no idea if form of payment effects when tesla completes its processing of title, etc. As in, if you finance, how long does it take for tesla to actually get paid (and thus start the title process)? When I picked up on 12/04, as I mentioned I used a bank draft and cashiers check. The bank draft is basically a loan from a credit union but a blank check you fill out. I picked up on the 4th as I said, and I could see that the bank draft had been paid by my credit union on by 12/6 as the loan showed up in my account.

Timing of such things may effect how fast you get your plates.

Reactions: Elmexiken and Zorg
This is going back to end of September but we picked up our car on 9/23, received our license plates and registration card from DMV on 10/11 and on 10/17 received our Title from DMV. And that was end of third quarter rush. Might be longer DMV processing time now due to all the cars purchased in December thanks to Telsas due to Fed tax credit and otherwise popular time to buy a car as a "Christmas" present for the family.

You cant order the stickers without a permanent registration according to what I read. "Permanent" registration is signified when you receive your plates.

To answer your original question, I purchased my Model 3p on 12/04 (paid by bank draft check and cashiers check). I got my permanent plates on 12/22. I was surprised it came that fast, actually.

I only mention how I paid as I have no idea if form of payment effects when tesla completes its processing of title, etc. As in, if you finance, how long does it take for tesla to actually get paid (and thus start the title process)? When I picked up on 12/04, as I mentioned I used a bank draft and cashiers check. The bank draft is basically a loan from a credit union but a blank check you fill out. I picked up on the 4th as I said, and I could see that the bank draft had been paid by my credit union on by 12/6 as the loan showed up in my account.

Timing of such things may effect how fast you get your plates.

I paid pretty much the same way, on 11.30, and still haven't received my plates. I imagine something is wrong????

I bought our used Tesla on 1/3 out of state in Arizona. Temp tags are good through 4/30/19 and I'm hoping to the plates soon. The Delivery/Service Center in Tempe said they'd handle everything with the DMV in Ca, so I will keep waiting. I've purchased a private sale VW TDI in AZ about 15 years ago. I test drove the car, wired the money, and had the title exchange notarized in less than an hour. Drove it home and picked up Ca plates at AAA the very next day. I also bought a used Lexus at a dealership in AZ 7 years ago and got the plates through the mail in about a week.

I'm wondering if Tesla is just sitting on the paperwork.

I bought our used Tesla on 1/3 out of state in Arizona. Temp tags are good through 4/30/19 and I'm hoping to the plates soon. The Delivery/Service Center in Tempe said they'd handle everything with the DMV in Ca, so I will keep waiting. I've purchased a private sale VW TDI in AZ about 15 years ago. I test drove the car, wired the money, and had the title exchange notarized in less than an hour. Drove it home and picked up Ca plates at AAA the very next day. I also bought a used Lexus at a dealership in AZ 7 years ago and got the plates through the mail in about a week.

I'm wondering if Tesla is just sitting on the paperwork.

UPDATE: My wife motivated me to find out what's going on, ASAP. I called the Tempe delivery center and directed myself to "Sales" this morning but was forwarded to Tesla in Fremont. Tempe was not open at 9:20am, so I left a message with Megan in Fremont to be contacted in regards to title and plates. She made it sound as though a delivery rep was expected to follow-up with me a day or two after deliver...that did not happen.

An hour later I received a call from Christian (Tempe) and he apologized for the delay and assured me that they expedited my paperwork to the top of their list. I should expect both the plates and title to be mailed to me in 2 weeks. So it seems like Tesla dropped the ball and had my paperwork lost in the ether, but the process could take as little as 2 weeks for out of state title and registration.

Took me about a month to get my regular plates.
Then it took exactly 3 months to get my custom plates.

As for the carpool lane sticker, you guys not in Los Angeles are so lucky.
Fast Track has taken over all the carpool lanes now, so HOV sticker only gives you a "discount" and not a free pass on carpool.
I guess a discount is better then nothing, but honestly i try to avoid driving as much as possible now because traffic is a nightmare and id rather be stuck in slow traffic with AutoPilot then in a fast moving carpool lane with it and hit a fire truck, since our cars seems to HATE fire trucks.

California plates came in last week and from the Tesla Center in Buena Park. I just received the title yesterday. Now I'm just waiting for the carpool decals. From the other's experiences, it takes over a month and the best way to gauge it would be to see if/when your check gets processed.