Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does it take to get your plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife pick up her Model 3 at Vancouver, Washington location on Christmas Eve 2023. At this point, we haven't recieved our plate yet. My wife have called tesla numerous times and they claim they submitted the paper work 3 weeks ago. However, when my wife contact Oregon DMV, they can't find any information regarding our plates.

We already on our second trip permit and it is about to be expired this weekend.

This is the most frustrating part of buying a Tesla for us so far and feel like we are being push around and ignored. Tesla will not show us any type of proof to show they have submitted the paper (mailing to DMV).

I had the same issue, took two months... I just drove around with an expired trip permit. I got an excuse about purchasing out of state and that taking longer to process when I called and asked. I wouldn't sweat it... it'll show up.

I had the same issue, took two months... I just drove around with an expired trip permit. I got an excuse about purchasing out of state and that taking longer to process when I called and asked. I wouldn't sweat it... it'll show up.
We lived in Oregon and went across the river to pick it up in Vancouver, WA. In hindsight, maybe this was the mistake but I guess we dont have a choice to drive around with expired trip permit as DMW wont sell us another 3rd trip permit.

Oregon only have 20/21 days trip permit only.

Is Tesla going to provide you with another temporary license?

Unfortunately, with DMV, the paperwork could be sitting on someone's desk and they wouldn't know it until it was actually entered into the computer and a license plate assigned.

Edit, since I've now seen your replies... I assume a trip permit is different from a temporary license. Here, the car dealerships (even Tesla) provide a temporary registration valid for 30-90 days depending on the state.

Is Tesla going to provide you with another temporary license?

Unfortunately, with DMV, the paperwork could be sitting on someone's desk and they wouldn't know it until it was actually entered into the computer and a license plate assigned.

Edit, since I've now seen your replies... I assume a trip permit is different from a temporary license. Here, the car dealerships (even Tesla) provide a temporary registration valid for 30-90 days depending on the state.
That is our downside picking up in neighboring state. They gave us 3 days trip permit. This is truly the one Negative aspect of purchasing a Tesla.

We never had any issues getting a plate from buying from existing manufacture before for brand new vehicles.