Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
48 hours passed after PTO and no updates from Tesla.. I had to call Tesla for them to manually update the system being granted PTO. It is now showing PTO granted in my Tesla.com account but the rep said I'd need to wait till Sat to see excess energy flow back to the grid.

Also, my system was installed in Oct but I lost the historical data in the app thru late Jan. They were not able to restore the historical data which is a bummer.

Sadly it's now one week after PTO and my system is still in self consumption mode.
I thought getting PTO would be the end to all the Tesla troubles but looks like I'm not out of the woods yet. Incredibly frustrating and loss for words. My case has been raised as a tier 2 incident but we all know how slow tier 2 is.

Here's my full timeline. I'm in Las Vegas, NV.

Jun 13 - ordered
Wasted weeks debating the design with them.
Sep 1 - signed proposal
Oct 13 - solar panel install
Nov 5 - powerwall & electrical install
Nov 11 - first revision permit issued
Dec 23 - second revision permit issued
Dec 30 - Tesla submit incentive app to NV Energy
Jan 7 - NV Energy asked for revisions to incentive app
Jan 10 - Tesla resubmitted NVE incentive app
Jan 27 - System activated in self consumption
Feb 4 - City inspector signed off
Feb 7 - Down payment requested
Feb 14 - Paid down payment
Feb 15 - Tesla submitted utility approval
Mar 3 - NV Energy approved
Mar 4 - NV Energy installed meters & PTO
Mar 11 - Tesla remove self consumption mode (after I call them and forward PTO email to rep)

Initial order was 8/5/20
SGIP Approved our Reservation Jan 21
PGE began Engineering Review Feb 21
400A Service Approved Nov 21
Revised permit sent to city Dec 21 as the old location didn't work for PGE.
City approves revised permit Jan 22
Disconnect/reconnect Scheduled Feb 22
Passed Final Inspection Feb 28
Permission to Operate Issued today March 16

Initial order was 8/5/20
SGIP Approved our Reservation Jan 21
PGE began Engineering Review Feb 21
400A Service Approved Nov 21
Revised permit sent to city Dec 21 as the old location didn't work for PGE.
City approves revised permit Jan 22
Disconnect/reconnect Scheduled Feb 22
Passed Final Inspection Feb 28
Permission to Operate Issued today March 16
Yay!

Any insights into the long SGIP approval?

All the best,

BG

Yay!

Any insights into the long SGIP approval?

All the best,

BG
They really made us prove everything to the T.

We had to show the need for 25 kW of demand, and with our existing 200A service and all the other loads we have it wasn't safe to run the car charging we wanted to do that. Had to get a car charger installed anyway to prove the need. I had charged off a 110V plug in my kitchen for 2 years already.

Then there was a local water club down the hill and they made us prove that we could not get water service by being part of the water club.

Our reservation went through eventually but I imagine that the administrators were looking more carefully at applications like mine in the second batch of SGIP funds due to complaints about the first funds going to inappropriate places.

If it is any consolation, they went through ours with a fine tooth comb as well, despite being five miles and a couple thousand vertical feet from the nearest collective water system. We had to demonstrate the max demand as well, which is silly as they have records. I didn't think to have the well running or the car charging, at the time, nor did I use the welder. My favorites were trying to explain to city slickers (more than once, I might add) that, no, unless they brought special gear, they weren't getting a photo of my well pump. It is underground, under enough water to drown someone. The well head, the well house, the motor controls, sure, but not the well pump itself. Just fascinating to go through the process. I loved walking the person in dress shoes for the final inspection out into a wet, muddy pasture because they insisted on another well head photo. (Seriously? No work boots for inspections?)

But having the Powerwalls is ...priceless. Not firing up and manging the generator is wonderful.

All the best,

Peter

If it is any consolation, they went through ours with a fine tooth comb as well, despite being five miles and a couple thousand vertical feet from the nearest collective water system. We had to demonstrate the max demand as well, which is silly as they have records. I didn't think to have the well running or the car charging, at the time, nor did I use the welder. My favorites were trying to explain to city slickers (more than once, I might add) that, no, unless they brought special gear, they weren't getting a photo of my well pump. It is underground, under enough water to drown someone. The well head, the well house, the motor controls, sure, but not the well pump itself. Just fascinating to go through the process. I loved walking the person in dress shoes for the final inspection out into a wet, muddy pasture because they insisted on another well head photo. (Seriously? No work boots for inspections?)

But having the Powerwalls is ...priceless. Not firing up and manging the generator is wonderful.

All the best,

Peter
I agree, we are sick and tired of managing our generator and it's maintenance.

Not to mention the fact that the well pump and pressure tanks only needs the generator for about 5 minutes every 30-45 minutes. Regardless, the generator would run and run with little load on it.

In looking at the e-Gauge data, the whole water system uses 4-6 kWh per day.

PGE also asked me for well pump pictures. I sent them pictures of the well head, 5k holding tank and pair of pressure tanks. They kept asking for pictures of the pump so I sent them the definition of a submerged well pump.

Getting increasingly frustrated by the day. PTO granted March 1. As of March 18 STILL stuck in self consumption mode. Total silence from Tesla. It's maddening.
I called their Customer Service number and asked for the Pre-PTO dept. for my State, but since I already had PTO from my Utility they were going to switch me over to another dept., but while I was on hold my system started exporting. Hmmmmm... BTW, I called 1 day after receiving PTO, so keep calling and bugging them!

Here's my timeline. I'm in San Luis Obispo County, CA

July 29, 2021 - Solar Panels & Powerwalls Ordered
  • 8.5kW Solar Panels (20 - 425 watt "Blackbirds")
  • 2 Powerwalls
  • 7.6 kW Tesla Solar Inverter
August 19, 2021 - Home Assessment by Tesla
August 25, 2021 - Installation - Not Complete
Tesla: We'll be back later to install the backup switch.
Me: What's that?
September 8, 2021 - Final Inspection by the County
September 8, 2021 - $10,000 down payment to Tesla
October 26, 2021 - Backup switch installation cancelled by PG&E
November 9, 2021 - Backup switch installed
System is operational under Self-Consumption Only​
Tesla: You should have your PTO in 5 to 9 weeks.
January 24, 2022 - Tesla asks me for photos of the electric meter and backup switch
February 1, 2022 - Surprise! PG&E will not approve the backup switch installation
This is the first time I heard of the 3 foot rule for gas meters.​
February 7, 2022 - Gateway 2 Installation cancelled by Tesla
February 25, 2022 - Gateway 2 installed
March 8, 2022 - Backup switch removed by PG&E
April 8, 2022 - Received an email from Tesla asking me to take part in a survey.
"Thank you for purchasing Powerwall. We value your feedback and would like to learn more about your purchase and installation experience."
I gave them a cold analytical evaluation with a healthy dose of honesty.​
It has now been one month since the removal of the backup switch. Radio silence from Tesla. Still no PTO.

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
SF Bay Area here.

Final Inspection: March 22nd
PTO Granted: April 5th

Tesla sent me several docs to electronically sign which they sent me thru the app. Tesla filled out all the info in the forms, After that they marked those steps as completed, they paid the filing fee, that was that! Super easy.

I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble :(

got my PTO within 2 weeks. i did it myself . Inspection docs is the only docs needed for my PTO.
Anyone know if I can do the PTO document submission in Illinois myself? My installation was approved by the county in January, still sitting on my hands waiting on the interconnectivity experts at Tesla to file the required paperwork. ComEd says they need a certificate of completion which consists of photos and some other paperwork. ComEd says it should take the installation company 10 minutes to get the documents together and submitted.

More than three months of compounded frustration while Tesla does nothing....I'd love to do this myself. Would welcome advice from any other Northern Illinois folks on the matter of getting ComEd what they need to get me operational.

Reactions: Ramphex
Anyone know if I can do the PTO document submission in Illinois myself? My installation was approved by the county in January, still sitting on my hands waiting on the interconnectivity experts at Tesla to file the required paperwork. ComEd says they need a certificate of completion which consists of photos and some other paperwork. ComEd says it should take the installation company 10 minutes to get the documents together and submitted.

More than three months of compounded frustration while Tesla does nothing....I'd love to do this myself. Would welcome advice from any other Northern Illinois folks on the matter of getting ComEd what they need to get me operational.
You shouldn’t have to do it yourself but just like many others, you’re probably better off. Did you try calling the number and pestering the people to see if they can get their sugar in gear? A lot of people seem to get things going with the squeaky wheel method.

Called again today.

My previous advisor is no longer with the company. :confused:

AND....the assistance I received today indicated that he was jacking me around for almost three months with complete and utter lies.

I was told today that my payment (in full) was not properly registered on my account and a switch needed to be flipped to get the connectivity team to submit my certificate of completion to ComEd. The advisor has, weekly, been telling me how backed up the connectivity team is, how the paperwork needed to be compiled, and just unimaginable BS when Tesla was NEVER going to submit that paperwork until the paid in full switch was tripped. All he needed to do was look at my account and flip the "paid" switch, which was done for me while I was on the phone with another agent today.

I've never mis-treated these guys, I never raised my voice, I never made threats, I always walked on eggshells when talking with the advisors...somehow it was easier to lie to me for MONTHS than take 10 seconds to fix the error on Tesla's end.

New advisor spent 30 minutes with me on the phone and tripped over himself apologizing. Promising start, but enough of me being Mr. Nice Guy. He'll be hearing from me every other day going forward....the wheel just got squeaky.