TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How long did it take for the shop to paint your calipers?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by oldgodzilla, Jun 14, 2018.

1. oldgodzilla

oldgodzilla Member

While calling around and speaking to various companies that paint brake calipers, I am getting 2 different timeframes.

1) calipers r us - They say they will paint my calipers in 3-4 hours, heating the paint between coatings and applying the decals before putting clear coat on.

2) Alloy Wheel Repair of Gaithersburg and Kwicksilver - They say it will take 2-3 days to paint the calipers

How long did it take for all of you to get your calipers painted? I'm a bit concerned about option 1 where it's 3-4 hours where they are heating the paint to dry it so they can add multiple coats in a short amount of time.

2. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

I did my own in about 4 hours....that includes letting the red dry before applying the decal and clear. You only have to paint the front part of the caliper. It takes longer to mask than to paint. I used hi-heat paint spray from Amazon. About $40 total.

3. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

I had a shop paint my calipers and it took them around 3.5 hours. Cost about $500.

4. KArnold

KArnold Member

Quite a difference - just did mine as well, $500 (you don't want to see my painting skills), but 5 days! It's not like they are lagging around - they had specific tasks per day.

5. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

I did my own , took 2 days since I had to sure the paint before applying the clear coat

6. DSaul

DSaul Member

I was told 1 day. $300. Will do it tomorrow.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

Ugh, I'd have to rent a car for those days...

8. Cram collision

All depends taking them off the and removing the pads 6 hours includes bleeding the brakes. 2 hours if your just masking them on the car.

9. Maaz

Maaz Member

Like 3 hours and cost me $300

10. Stan Moraski

Stan Moraski Brownout

IMG_0169.JPG

• Like x 2
  11. Stan Moraski

Stan Moraski Brownout

Took $50 with a DIY brush on kit from ForMyTesla. Very easy, and I think it looks fantastic.

• Like x 1
  12. DSaul

DSaul Member

Got done in Chicago at Prestige Auto Spa (@Windy City S recommendation), $300 and took 1 day. IMG_9186.jpg IMG_9187.jpg IMG_9200.jpg IMG_9201.jpg IMG_9193.jpg

• Like x 1