Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did you spend at Service Center for Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pick up my M3D AWD today and was wondering how long you spent at the Service Center during the delivery process? Also curious how much of that time was Tesla trying to upsell you on things like extended warranties, pre-paid maintenance plans and other margin padding stuff? What actually happens during the delivery process?

September 2018:

Spent about 30 minutes waiting for it to be my turn. I was able to see the car in the parking lot so I was able to look her over, no issues found. Then I was called inside, signed two or three documents (I was also trading in a car). They put me inside the M3, showed me how to pair the keycard and my phone and I was off. I didn't need a walk-through of the car's systems, etc.

No up-sell, no warranties, nothing pre-paid was offered. Nothing but buying the car, which was already basically paid for online besides my bank check, etc.

I did need to call the Delivery Advisors after the fact to get a PDF of my Maroney sticker. I ordered a Model Y, so the process overall was clearly acceptable.

Last edited:
No time at all - Tesla (or more specifically a delivery truck) dropped off my Model 3 in my driveway, I signed a paper saying I received it and the truck left.

Only contact from Tesla one call setting up the delivery and another checking a few days after delivery that the delivery went fine.

Excellent delivery experience in San Diego today. 26 min start to finish. 5 min max for paperwork and then walk around inspection and full tutorial for my wife who has never driven or even been in a Tesla. I wish I could have captured better pictures of her reaction to various features.

About a half hour. 15 minutes of waiting and paper work and 15 minutes of showing me around the car.
I live about 150 miles from where I picked up and it wasn’t charged enough for me to get there. So I had to stop at a super charger. That was slightly annoying but nice to track it down and immediately get to try that out.

Don't you think it would be better if they just mentioned the 'up-sells' at some point?
Like if they said "would you be interested in any accessories for your car?"
If "no" then leave it at that, if "yes" then they can go into more detail for the benefit of the new owner, without being pushy.
This would benefit the bottom line for Tesla, and give a better equipped car for the owner without detracting from the experience. Win-win.

Almost 4 hrs. They had an "issue" with processing paperwork from Fremont. Apparently all the trade in paperwork for the entire country is done through one location which seems odd to me. Wife and 4 yr old started getting impatient so I asked for more SC miles on my account to compensate for the inconvenience and the delivery lady agreed verbally but I have never seen them show up on my account.

My delivery took about 3 hours. This was mainly due to the Delivery Advisor not wanting to put anything on my Due Bill, he kept telling me everything was "within spec" (even though he finally admitted he didn't know what the actual "specs" were). They did try and buff some defects out of the paint, but only made it worse. Finally gave up and took delivery. Called Tesla to complain about the Customer Service and they said all my concerns would be taken care of and not to worry. Had to wait 2.5 months for the Tesla approved body shop appointment, but the car looked better than delivery day when I got it back. Overall, the worst car buying experience I have ever had.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
What are the up sells? Charging cables and perhaps FSD?

Don't you think it would be better if they just mentioned the 'up-sells' at some point?
Like if they said "would you be interested in any accessories for your car?"
If "no" then leave it at that, if "yes" then they can go into more detail for the benefit of the new owner, without being pushy.
This would benefit the bottom line for Tesla, and give a better equipped car for the owner without detracting from the experience. Win-win.

Mine was about an hour. The car looked good...I didn’t notice anything obvious. My DA went over the charging, paired our phones, setup profiles, went over the interface, and much more. It was way more than I expected. Afterwards, we signed the papers. It was a very pleasant experience. We weren’t rushed probably bc we were the last delivery of the day and there was no one else around.

10 minutes, it was so refreshing. I am used to spending 6-8 hours at the stealerships.
This reminds me of buying my Camry in 2017. At the Toyota dealer in SE FL - I noticed people/customers waiting around like they have been there for hours. I drove up in my trade, they assessed trade and we agreed on price, showed me a car I wanted, road test and paperwork, handed them a VISA, drove out almost exactly 1 hour from arrival time.

It helps when you've in the car business most of your life and know what you want. I'm fortunate to not have to deal with financing and most certainly put the brakes on any pushy car salesmen before they get any traction with tactics. They were easy to deal with and I cut straight to the point to assist in expediting the process.

Said Camry is now moving onward somewhere in the country as my new M3 replaces it.

My delivery last Friday on a LR AWD was about 35-40 minutes. Had to sign some loan/registration paperwork which they had ready and only took about 5-7 minutes. 90% of the remainder of the time was for my wife to get the information that made her comfortable with the overall function of the car. I spent that time going over the car to highlight any issues, there were only 1 small nick in the paint. If you have been spending hours on YT and know how the car works and are somewhat tech savvy, you could be out of there in 10 minutes.

Not 1 word was spoken to upsell or promote anything I did not already own. 100% making us comfortable with the primary functions of the car and answering questions. The car was about 75% charged from the on-sight supercharger.