Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you expect your 21in tires to last

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is notoriously known for excessive tire wear, based on my research. I’ve heard of them wearing down as fast at 10k miles. That’s over $1500 a year for most ppl.

I wonder how long these 21in tires on the performance MY will last with casual-moderate driving?

it’s a staggers setup so tire rotation is out of the question, someone correct me if I’m wrong

• Informative
Reactions: klandersnitrox
my guess is 12-15k miles - i have a BMW M4 with 20" wheels and very low profile tires that last around the same with casual-moderate driving - i think it's the price we pay to "look good" and unfortunately comes with the territory.....

my guess is 12-15k miles - i have a BMW M4 with 20" wheels and very low profile tires that last around the same with casual-moderate driving - i think it's the price we pay to "look good" and unfortunately comes with the territory.....

yeah, that sucks! I replace my 335i 19in tires every 2 years and its always a pain. For the model Y, those 21 in wheels aren't cheap to replace. At least $1500, and its every year I assume, but if I can push 2 years, ill be a happy camper.... oh well. Pay to play..

The only tires that are currently on Tire Rack that fit are Michelin Pilot Sports for about 350 a tire, so yeah looking at 1400+. I have pirelli P Zeros (same model as the what we get OEM from Tesla) on my BMW X3 with 20" rims and they've lasted over 20K, so I think you can hope for about 20K depending on the types of driving conditions you face. The good news is I can attest the P Zeros do handle quite nicely, however, I'm hoping we can get some ultra high performance all season options given the volume of Model Ys that will be sold with this tire size, i.e. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ would be fantastic, so that those of us in middle-altitude clients who want some winter traction but certainly do not need to switch to winter tires would have a good option, and they would last a bit longer and be likely be a bit cheaper than summer tires. As it is I'll live with the P Zeros until they wear out (it didn't snow at all here in Maryland this winter so perhaps global warming will negate my need for all season tires, though if we would all drive EVs it won't :)).

The only tires that are currently on Tire Rack that fit are Michelin Pilot Sports for about 350 a tire, so yeah looking at 1400+. I have pirelli P Zeros (same model as the what we get OEM from Tesla) on my BMW X3 with 20" rims and they've lasted over 20K, so I think you can hope for about 20K depending on the types of driving conditions you face. The good news is I can attest the P Zeros do handle quite nicely, however, I'm hoping we can get some ultra high performance all season options given the volume of Model Ys that will be sold with this tire size, i.e. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ would be fantastic, so that those of us in middle-altitude clients who want some winter traction but certainly do not need to switch to winter tires would have a good option, and they would last a bit longer and be likely be a bit cheaper than summer tires. As it is I'll live with the P Zeros until they wear out (it didn't snow at all here in Maryland this winter so perhaps global warming will negate my need for all season tires, though if we would all drive EVs it won't :)).

wheels look nice They are pricey. That’s what we have to sacrifice for, I was wondering if we can get rid of this staggered set up and put 265 all around that way we can save money and rotate the tires because I’m not a race car driver and I want to be as economical as possible while having the most fun

My '18 BMW X3 M40i has Bridgestone Alenza 001 RFT 21" tires in the same size as the Y and I got almost 18k out of them before they were bare. I do look forward to going with the Michelin PS4S as I've really liked how they perform on other vehicles. Had them on my '17 Camaro ZL1 and they did well in both the rain and dry.

My experience with my prior cars with low profile, large size is that they fail prematurely. I had two fail and crack the side wall on 2in pothole at < 5 mph stop/go traffic. This was just one example and one brand. Similar experience with various brands and cars. The side walls are just too solid and take a huge hit with heavy cars and any drop; they just split.

And if we talk wear; I only have a 5 mile round trip commute and the wear was crazy as well. Sure it's prorated / insured but you have to pay the difference and it just adds up. On my ICE cars tires was the biggest expense will low profile / large size.

Until tire tech changes radically, ie airless or otherwise I'll take smallest stock size available from here out.

I am want to buy a performance Y, I’m hoping by the time I’m ready there will be a performance all season 21” tire option just for the temperature range and better tread life. I drive 18,000/year just back and forth to/from work.

Yeah I hope so as well. I picked my Y up with the 21s and its def a head turner, got a big booty. Sure ill be saving on gave but I doubt these summer tires will last 10-12k miles, even with normal driving. Its just a heavy care. I am looking into alternative tire sizes that are all season and can fit without issues.

I saw in a close-up photo of a LR AWD with the 20" wheels that the Goodyear tires have a UTQG treadwear rating of 500. I know there are limitations of using that rating for anything more than just a "nice to know," but it made me feel a bit better since my 4Runner's OEM Bridgestones were rated at 360 and those lasted about 30K miles (ironically, the week after I changed tires, I got the "your Model Y is on the way" email).

Anyone with the 21" tires know what the treadwear rating is on the OEM tires?

I saw in a close-up photo of a LR AWD with the 20" wheels that the Goodyear tires have a UTQG treadwear rating of 500. I know there are limitations of using that rating for anything more than just a "nice to know," but it made me feel a bit better since my 4Runner's OEM Bridgestones were rated at 360 and those lasted about 30K miles (ironically, the week after I changed tires, I got the "your Model Y is on the way" email).

Anyone with the 21" tires know what the treadwear rating is on the OEM tires?

I believe they are 220 treadwear.

I wonder why Tesla couldn’t offer the induction wheels with the performance Y..

the 21s look sick, and they sticky. I mean def a head turner, makes it look aggressive, big booty but that comes with the cost. I’ll just eat it for now until I find some nice forged 20s with beefy tires