Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to have a wheel replaced (thank you Chicago streets!) last December. While my MYP was there, they took off all the tires for an inspection. Fast forward to Late April/early May, Im having serious problems with the tires. Lots of vibration, alignment going off, among others. It turns out the technician out the tires back on the wrong wheels. The MY performance has staggered wheels, (larger tires in the back than the front) which means they can’t be rotated. But to add to that problem if faster wearing, the technician putting both of the bigger tires in the right side and the smaller on the left made the rear tire kn the left (smaller one) had the inner tread was almost worn through. It was starting to have a problem holding air. Which is what make me realize the issue.
So now the service department has offered to take $200 dollars off the labor
Charge, making the new tire purchase $1800 instead of the $2000 estimate they gave.
My question: shouldn’t I be getting much more of a discount? They have almost 30k miles on them (I drive it for work, for the first 14 months I’ve put in lots of miles), but the tires should have lasted to 45k miles. I’m thinking they should give at least $500 if not $1k.
Suggestions would be appreciated in how to proceed with the service manager.
Thank you.

Reactions: DWtsn
but the tires should have lasted to 45k miles

I dont think very many people have had MYP OEM tires last 45k miles, nor do I think they are rated for that so I am not sure where you are getting "they should have lasted 45k miles".

Why thats relevant, is because you drove 30k miles on those tires like that. I dont know what the right compensation is though, since you drove 30k miles, but if Tesla did what you stated (which I am not disputing at all), then you have a valid complaint that they should likely be more apologetic than "here is a $200 credit".

Last edited:
Upvote 1
My question: shouldn’t I be getting much more of a discount? They have almost 30k miles on them (I drive it for work, for the first 14 months I’ve put in lots of miles), but the tires should have lasted to 45k miles. I’m thinking they should give at least $500 if not $1k.
On EVs the tires don't last anywhere near as long as tire manufacturers claim. 30k sounds good to me. In your situation I'd be furious with Tesla too (and I frequently am, because their service has been horrible every time, on two cars) but I'd take the $200 as a win. That's more of an apology than most of us get, most of the time.

Upvote 0
On EVs the tires don't last anywhere near as long as tire manufacturers claim. 30k sounds good to me. In your situation I'd be furious with Tesla too (and I frequently am, because their service has been horrible every time, on two cars) but I'd take the $200 as a win. That's more of an apology than most of us get, most of the time.

I think I might ask Tesla for a free alignment thrown in, along with the $200. That seems like a reasonable request, and is relevant to the "they installed tires wrong" situation too.

I might go to the service manager and say something like "Thank you for the offer of $200 for the situation, I do appreciate that you are trying to work with me on this issue. What would make me very happy and satisfied with this resolution, would be if you could also provide a wheel alignment for no charge in addition to the $200 credit. "

Reactions: Oparide
Upvote 0
I had to have a wheel replaced (thank you Chicago streets!) last December. While my MYP was there, they took off all the tires for an inspection. Fast forward to Late April/early May, Im having serious problems with the tires. Lots of vibration, alignment going off, among others. It turns out the technician out the tires back on the wrong wheels. The MY performance has staggered wheels, (larger tires in the back than the front) which means they can’t be rotated. But to add to that problem if faster wearing, the technician putting both of the bigger tires in the right side and the smaller on the left made the rear tire kn the left (smaller one) had the inner tread was almost worn through. It was starting to have a problem holding air. Which is what make me realize the issue.
So now the service department has offered to take $200 dollars off the labor
Charge, making the new tire purchase $1800 instead of the $2000 estimate they gave.
Thank you.
They swapped my tires front - back and back - front, they are different sizes on the front and back for a reason, and my tires wore through in weeks! To a point where I had a flat while driving and found the tire had worn through to the inner "tube," causing it to go flat.

Upvote 0
Had something similar on a bmw. I don’t remember the exact final config, but I purchased new tires and they mismatched the rims so they had a wide tire in a wide rim and the other wide tire in a narrow rim. I didn’t notice for 20k miles.

They didn’t apologize or do anything.

Upvote 0
They swapped my tires front - back and back - front, they are different sizes on the front and back for a reason, and my tires wore through in weeks! To a point where I had a flat while driving and found the tire had worn through to the inner "tube," causing it to go flat.
Your tires were already heavily worn. This rotation didn't do anything to accelerate tire wear at all. Some MYPs are lucky to get 15K out of rear tires.

Reactions: Scubamikey
Upvote 0