Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Will You Keep Your MS?

How Long Will You Keep Your MS?

• 4 years or less

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Between 4 and 8 years

Votes: 66 38.8%
  • 8 years or more

Votes: 79 46.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you're describing is someone selling an unfinished product and delivering the rest of what they already sold you over time. Wouldn't you rather have had all these things when the car was delivered, like all other car manufacturers?

No other manufacturer offers these things, so no, that's not the alternative. The alternative is never buying those things, or waiting until they're available to buy them. You have both of those options with Tesla.

Reactions: thecloud
Until I can buy one that comes without a steering wheel. That's the dream.

I agree. "Joules" has >27K totally trouble-free (not so much as a squeak or rattle or anything else requiring attention) miles in about two years. Never even been a passenger in a car that I admire so much as my S75. My hope is to keep Joules until my mid 80s (another 11 years or so), at which point I will purchase another S with Version 9.6 autopilot (no steering wheel, no foot controls). While I enjoy driving Joules - a lot - there will come a point at which I will no longer be able to do so safely. Nice to know I will be able to get about even after my competence diminishes.

It seems like there are a couple of aspects to this topic:

1. The "when" (will you replace your S)
Looking back, and on average, I own my cars for about 6-7 years before I sell them. Upon further reflection, there's a correlation with how many miles I typically drive per year and wanting to sell a car before it reaches/greatly exceeds 100K miles. Right or wrong, this has been my MO and what I'm comfortable with. I suspect that there's a possibility that if I drive less in the future, I may be more comfortable keeping a car longer. But as things stand, I would anticipate that I will stay true to form w/r/t the ownership period stated earlier.

That said, for my S specifically, I plan on doing a re-evaluation in 3 years time (I've owned it for almost a year now) in case the technology evolves so rapidly as to effectively make my S pretty outdated. If this happens, I suspect my S at that point (and at the right price point) will still be attractive to some people (perhaps first time future Tesla owners), but I plan on staying on top of the latest game-changing tech as much as possible.

2. The "what" (will the replacement be)
As mentioned above, I've owned my S75D for almost a year now and I still have a grin in my face every morning as I see and walk up to it in my garage before driving it to work (when people would ask me why would I pay so much for a car, I would in turn list all the benefits but also ask them, how do you quantify happiness?). I want and hope my future cars to be Teslas as well. I'm a shareholder and cheering hard for them every day to succeed. I think they have a huge head start and are well positioned to continue to be the leader in BEVs, but they have to execute and do so smartly. In about 2-3 years, the competition is going to get super intense, which is why Telsa needs to be even more on top of their game.

Among any planned cars from any other manufacturers, the only one that has even come close to be drawing my attention is the Porsche Taycan. But the reason why I love my S so much is the combination of how it drives, the whole tech, the minimalist yet modern dash and interior, ease of traveling due to extensive SuperChargers coverage, and last but not least, the overall mission of the company. Tesla has set such a high bar in my mind that for me to consider any other car company, they will have to clearly beat it in at least 4 of those 5 things.

My original thought was 8 or more years. My MS75D was born in May 2016 and adopted into my family in Sept 2016 with 538 miles on her. "Gas No Mo" now has 58,000+ after two years with extremely little maintenance. The ONLY reason for trading up is "happy wife - Happy life." My wife felt cramped with 4 adults on our 6,000 miles trip from Ohio to Montana this summer. And after driving GM Suburbans for 35 years she likes a little higher view point. Easier to get in and out of for an older gal. The MX100D in same color and finish is on order and expected around her birthday (Nov 3). We have driven several MX as loaners for a day. The extra range and interior room will be welcome additions and NOW I expect to keep the new version of "Gas No Mo" for ten years or more. Will miss the sun roof a little but nothing else. Only getting $55,000 on the trade in, so it is available if anyone wants to deal. Hate, absolutely HATE the times I have been required to drive an ICE recently. No apologies for the cost. I'm blessed and living my life to the full.

What you're describing is someone selling an unfinished product and delivering the rest of what they already sold you over time. Wouldn't you rather have had all these things when the car was delivered, like all other car manufacturers?

My view is that this is mostly a positive not a negative. There was a “finished” product (Model X) that @Uncle Paul and others were obviously willing to purchase but the Tesla owners received incremental improvements (better wipers, maps, etc.) along the way that traditionally an owner would receive only by buying the next refreshed model of the car.

I thought this was a really long term car and used that to justify the high cost when I purchased it in 2017. I love the car, but find myself already having missed out on several changes and upgrades in the short 15 months I've owned it. While I do not have to have EVERY small item or improvement that comes out, if I'm suffering the massive depreciation schedule and I do not have the equipment in the car only 15 months after purchase to run current features it's annoying. I can only assume that around the 4 year mark this will become unbearable for me personally and I'll either upgrade the Tesla or look elsewhere for something that is not constantly being updated. While I love the software updates and new/different features coming out, the obsoleting of hardware sometimes 30 days into ownership is not something I like.
I’m worried about this as well, but the reality is you have the car you have, and are likely happy with it. BUT, when you find out what newer versions have, one may feel like their car is inferior. Just a matter of comparison. If you own a 42” that you paid $1000 for, and 6 months later costco sells a 60” for $500 all of a sudden you feel like your TV sucks. But the reality is you the same TV you’ve been happy with the whole time

I have an August 2016 S75D and love it........of course. 3 year lease and at this time not real sure what i'll do. Leaning towards buying out the lease at $49.8k. I can live w/o the FSD which came out 60 days after purchase date. OK with me though, I knew what I was getting into. It will not be an easy decision. Probably will hem and haw right up to the last date

No other manufacturer offers these things, so no, that's not the alternative. The alternative is never buying those things, or waiting until they're available to buy them. You have both of those options with Tesla.
Hmm... Let's see, my wife waited 6 months for automatic headlights, a year for automatic wipers (which still don't work well), a year+ for EAB (which still doesn't work as well as Subaru, not even by Tesla's own definition how it works), 2 years for blind spot detection (my wife's car just got v9 so haven't had a chance to see how well it works, but considering it's camera based it will not work well in the dark, like auto-wipers. It will also likely have a problem with dirty cameras which don't have any self-cleaning features). I bought my AP1 with blind spot feature explicitly listed in the specs, but never got it and never will - that feature was deleted from Tesla website and it went from "coming over the air vaporware" to "radio-silence" stage a while back. I had \cars in the past which had all these options working well btw, and yes, other manufacturers still offer them in cars today.

That said, there is one thing which Tesla offers which other manufacturer's don't yet offer - EV drivetrain in a highly safety rated, performance oriented car. All the other things are offered by others and often done better. Not just that, the other guys have things Tesla doesn't, like phone integration. Once the other manufacturers will get an EV drivetrain into their cars, Tesla will have a hard time competing. One thing which stands out in Tesla's favor is the supercharger network, but the other guys are catching up and faster Tesla was building it out, and people still bought Teslas back then - my first Model S didn't even see a supercharger or any fast charger in its 2 years with me - no supercharger within driving distance of my house and the ChaDeMo adapter was delayed by over a year and half (was supposed to become available 2 months after my car was delivered, came just as I was selling it). And remember, today there is a lot more other EV charging other there than there was when Tesla was starting out.

Did Tesla really say you have to do all scheduled maintenance to get FSD support?
Not explicitly, however if they are going to take liability for any damage your car causes while driving by itself, they will absolutely require the car to be 100% maintained up to their specifications. But don't worry, there is no way on this green Earth AP2.x cars will be able to drive themselves in real world situations (let's use Elon's summon across the country as a good yard-stick), so this is purely hypothetical.

Reactions: Chopr147
Our plan is to keep our Tesla vehicles for 8 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first.

That's what we did when we traded in our 2012 S P85 a few months ago for a 2018 X 100D. The S P85 had 95K miles, reasonable battery degradation, and still looked great.

We currently plan to use the same strategy for our 2017 S 100D and the new X. Though with the 8 year, unlimited mile, warranty on the battery pack and motor, and if Tesla really can get EAP/FSD fully operational when we approach 100K miles, it may be tempting to keep one or both of the vehicles for 8 years...

Until the drivetrain/battery expires at least.
But I've noticed that I was going to drive long with my 4C alfa Romeo (had it 3 months), Mercedes V-class (had it 1 year), Porsche Panamera Hybrid (had it 2 years) ....so let's see if this MS will really stay longer...

Several have mentioned the popular 100k mile threshold from ICE cars. Not sure it will apply to resale value on EV's though, as there's no engine/tranny/exhaust to go bad (the chief trouble spots on ICE cars after 100k). I guess we'll see after we have more longevity data, but it may take some time for buyers to realize they need to reset their reliability expectations with EV's (at least ones with proper thermal management).

While that's true, change is happening faster anyway. Humans adapt at a linear rate, but technology is changing at a geometric rate. We're already seeing our laws not able to keep up with technological change. AI, massive replacement of labor with robots, etc are just around the corner. It's going to be a bumpy ride!

Human physical growth is linear, but the capacity of our mind is not - we barely tap it’s capacity as a species (10-12%). I always wonder what that other 88% is up to.

The biggest hendrance to change is not the capacity of our mind, but the capacity of our heart (fear of the unknown). I certainly respect fear, but it doesn’t mean we are incapable of handling change - just unwilling.

My original (slightly sarcastic) comment was just acknowledging that the pace of change will only continue to be exponential. The progress of change for the rest of our lives will feel like constant leap-frogging rather than iterations, especially once AI truly cracks.

There is an exceptional book called Life 3.0 (written by an MIT prof and, though I didn’t know when I bought it, endorsed by Mr. Musk himself) that goes in-depth on the current academic state of AI and tech that most of us never see in the news. Also explains the state of philosophical and academic thinking around AI safety, regulation, etc. I think for those of us who own autonomous vehicle robots, it’s really helpful perspective to have.

Link: Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence https://www.amazon.com/dp/1101970316/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8r-YBbAQR6DDW

My current plan is to keep it for 7 - 7.5 years, so I can enjoy at least 1 year without car loan payments, and sell it before the drivetrain warranty expires.

Having said that, 7 years is a very long term for the exponentialy growing EV industry. The technology will change dramatically in the next few years. There is a good chance I will have an urge to upgrade much sooner. On the other hand, if the 2.5 AP Hardware proves to be sufficient for FSD, Tesla continues to support and update this car and the long-term repair statistics is great, I may decide to keep it for 10 years or more.

Last edited: