Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Will You Keep Your MS?

How Long Will You Keep Your MS?

• 4 years or less

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Between 4 and 8 years

Votes: 66 38.8%
  • 8 years or more

Votes: 79 46.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until I get sick of it which could be tomorrow or in the next 3 months or next 3 year's who know's. My P85D is near running 5 year's of being on the road (been about 4 and a half, I think). 85D will be gone soon (unless we decide to keep it, once again who know's) and replaced with a leased MS so wife will be getting a new one every 3 year's. I on the other hand will be getting a new one whenever I want (whenever wife allows) .
The P85D was only announced 4 years ago (October 2014) and production didn't start until November, so it only feels like 5 years. :)

Reactions: P85DBeast
Already two years down, and I'll probably keep my S for another 2 - 5 years. No way do I want to take a chance on it after powertrain warranty expires. Also, waiting to sell it at close to 8 years will probably result in a terrible resale value, because it'd be too close to warranty expiration and will likely give potential buyers extra anxiety. So getting rid of it after 6 - 7 years is probably best.

Having passed the 4 year mark with my Model S, I can easily see it going another 4 without major issues. Prior to its warranty expiration, I had planned to buy the extended warranty, but then decided against it. Since the battery and drive unit are covered for 8 years, the only potentially large expenses would be if the MCU (center screen hardware) or A/C system needed complete replacement, and if all door handles decided to fail (so far, none have.) And since the extended warranty now requires paid annual service visits plus a deductible per visit, it just didn't seem like I'd come out ahead that way.

After I reach the 8 year mark? Not sure yet. It depends on whether Tesla offers something far superior to what I've got now. :)

At the end of this year, our Model S will be replaced. The combination of the warranty ending and the HOV stickers expiring are the two key factors. The next car will be either Cayenne or a GLE S Coupe. Our Teslas have been very good cars but the styling is dated and electric cars aren't very good in many circumstances. So back to ICE for us.

• Disagree
Reactions: fallen888
At the end of this year, our Model S will be replaced. The combination of the warranty ending and the HOV stickers expiring are the two key factors. The next car will be either Cayenne or a GLE S Coupe. Our Teslas have been very good cars but the styling is dated and electric cars aren't very good in many circumstances. So back to ICE for us.

Certainly do what is best for you, but I could never go back to an ICE after driving a Tesla. My wife has a Lexus RX 450h hybrid which is a very nice car, but every time I drive it, I feel like I am taking a huge step backward. While the interior is much more luxurious than my S 100D, everything else about the Tesla is far superior.

Reactions: fallen888 and robby
Certainly do what is best for you, but I could never go back to an ICE after driving a Tesla. My wife has a Lexus RX 450h hybrid which is a very nice car, but every time I drive it, I feel like I am taking a huge step backward. While the interior is much more luxurious than my S 100D, everything else about the Tesla is far superior.

Glad you're happy with your vehicle. Every vehicle has its plusses and minuses, including BEVs.

So back to ICE for us.

That's a sad sentence to read, but I understand everyone has individual situations. For me it is the opposite. I don't know how long I will keep my late 2016 S90D. That will depend on end of warranty, reasonable cost and parts availability, and the ability to work on the car myself in it's later years (service manual availability). One thing for certain, I will never buy an ICE vehicle again. The Model S will be replaced by an EV of some type, as will all my other vehicles when the time comes.

What circumstances? Road trips when you’re in a hurry? What else?

While I applaud progress and change, there is a limit to what the human body/mind can adapt to in such short periods of time. Our minds are beings bombarded with faster technological and economic change than ever recorded in history...and our bodies still crave Palio diets from thousands of years ago to simple hikes through the wilderness from the caveman days.

I concur that the pace of change isn’t accelerating however may not be entirely beneficial for a stress free existence.

Change is good...too much is not.

While that's true, change is happening faster anyway. Humans adapt at a linear rate, but technology is changing at a geometric rate. We're already seeing our laws not able to keep up with technological change. AI, massive replacement of labor with robots, etc are just around the corner. It's going to be a bumpy ride!

What circumstances? Road trips when you’re in a hurry? What else?

In my case, there are several circumstances. As an example, I have a house in Montana and land that is quite a bit north of town (Bozeman) that I go to often. Especially in winter, I'd be lucky to get to the land with some range to spare, but there are no superchargers between my land and Bozeman, and my land is totally off grid with only a small generator. That makes pretty much every electric car unworkable.

In urban areas and along the main travel routes, charging isn't an issue. If you travel to remote areas on a regular basis, charging can be a pretty serious issue.

That's a sad sentence to read, but I understand everyone has individual situations. For me it is the opposite. I don't know how long I will keep my late 2016 S90D. That will depend on end of warranty, reasonable cost and parts availability, and the ability to work on the car myself in it's later years (service manual availability). One thing for certain, I will never buy an ICE vehicle again. The Model S will be replaced by an EV of some type, as will all my other vehicles when the time comes.

Agreed. In my case I highly value autopilot and driving without need for gas and gas stations. In 5 years when I look to replace my Model S I assume range and charging availability not to mention legitimate competitors to Tesla will be much more abundant. However for moving the industry toward pure electric I will always give Tesla some preference in my buying decisions.

Reactions: fallen888

I've always said I'd never go back to an ICE vehicle but I can't stay true to that statement as I have no idea what the future may hold and if my needs may change and if a MUCH MUCH better car comes along (I highly doubt one will anytime soon). Although I do know one thing and that is that RIGHT NOW I only want a Model S and that's that. The S is the only car that satisfies me right now and hopefully forever.:)

Until the FSD that I pre-paid for is enabled or Tesla swaps me out for a shiny new FSD enabled Model S just because I’m stubborn like that. Hahahahaha
You are a dream customer for Elon. Doesn't complain and patiently waits, while continuing to support Tesla by paying to keep the car in road worthy condition (for FSD it has to be 100%, so all maintenance must be done, everything must be repaired/replaced with new OEM parts by Tesla). I wonder what it will cost to fix a 15 year old Model S to original Tesla specifications. ;)

I have received so many significant enhancements since I got my X in Jan, 2017 that it makes me believe I will keep the car for many many years to come.

Auto windshield wipers, greatly improved self driving maps and features, auto lane changing, enhance 0-60 times from 6.1 to 4.9, faster opening/closing Falcon Wing doors, a mesh upper windshield heat/light shield, better performing sound system, auto headlight dimming,

What you're describing is someone selling an unfinished product and delivering the rest of what they already sold you over time. Wouldn't you rather have had all these things when the car was delivered, like all other car manufacturers?

Reactions: kavyboy
You are a dream customer for Elon. Doesn't complain and patiently waits, while continuing to support Tesla by paying to keep the car in road worthy condition (for FSD it has to be 100%, so all maintenance must be done, everything must be repaired/replaced with new OEM parts by Tesla). I wonder what it will cost to fix a 15 year old Model S to original Tesla specifications. ;)

Did Tesla really say you have to do all scheduled maintenance to get FSD support?