Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many 70D's were made?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JPUConn

Aug 11, 2014
CT
how many 70D's were made?

There are a few private party but tesla has zero for sale so I'm just trying to figure out if this is a super small market size or the owners just love their cars so much they arnt trading them in yet.

There are a few private party but tesla has zero for sale so I'm just trying to figure out if this is a super small market size or the owners just love their cars so much they arnt trading them in yet.
It's probably a pretty small number. Besides that there are two kinds of 70D's out there: pre-refresh with actual 70 kWh batteries and post-refresh with software limited 75kWh batteries.

Very small I would expect. I bought my 70D in May 2015 and received it on July 2015. I bought it only 1-2 months after it was announced to replace the 60D model at the time. From what I've gathered, that was short lived until early 2016 when it was replaced with the 75kwh battery. So practically less than 12 months worth of sales I would expect.

We became the neglected baster child. All other battery size have a much longer life cycle, such as 60 kwh, 75kwh, and 85kwh.

I didn't expect it to be such short lived. If I had known I would just waited and get the 75kwh for the same price and being able to add 25-30 more miles to the range. Blah.

I wish Tesla would offer option to just add more cell to existing 70 kwh to make it 75 for a small nominal fee. I would pay upward 1k for that benefit. If up to 85 kwh/90 kwh, I would pay upward to 10k for it.

Reactions: JPUConn

I personally know of at least one pre-refresh 70D :) And it's true I have no interest at this time of trading it in.

you might be able to get a rough idea from the Model S Order Tracking google spreadsheet posted elsewhere on TMC:
Model S Delivery Update

of course it only has data for TMC members that bothered to enter their order info so not every possible Model S manufactured, but maybe you can get an idea of the ratio of 70D orders vs others from the data. I took a quick look and one of the summary sheets shows that 70D accounts for 31% of Model S orders reported between Apr~Dec 2015 (218 70D out of 712 Model S total). I didn't see a corresponding summary of 2016 orders, but the raw data is in there

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
I have a pre refresh 70D with AP1. I'm in no rush to sell it, and I love driving it or being driven by it.

Anecdotally I see that the last batch of pre-refresh cars have had the least issues.
I've had mine for a little over two years now, and the only issue I've had is when the free tesla service car wash left me a scratch, which they did promptly take care of.

@smilepak - I'm secretly happy that we don't have the option of upgrading to a 75D. The lowest I've ever gone on left range is around 80 miles. But if 75D for a small fee meant an improved 0-60, I might do it.