TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How many watts is the onboard sound system and what types of speakers does it have?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bottomsup, Aug 27, 2018.

1. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

2. Adam3

Adam3 Member

Dont think it mentions watts but this might help

3. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

The sub is only 150 watts if i remember correctly but the system is probably quite cleverly matched.
    The dude in the video above is mostly making stuff up to sell his aftermarket parts.

• Like x 3
  4. oldpueblo

oldpueblo Member

The model 3 audio sounds awesome, however not going to lie I do wish it had more power. I feel like I had more bass frequencies from the $200 powered sub I put in my last car. Maybe I just need to figure out better EQ settings.

5. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

well yeah 150 watt subwoofer....Saying that, if you are simply after more subbass there might be an aftermarket swap kit. Not sure if Tesla used thick enough wires to power a higher wattage subwoofer. With a Sedan imho 300-400watt is minimum.

6. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Too much bass is a bad thing. When I am sitting in rush hour traffic, and the car behind me is playing some dumb "music" and the bass goes so loud it vibrates my whole car, I do not think of what an awesome sound system the guy behind me has. Rather, I think of how big of a jackass the person behind me is.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 2
  7. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

There is of course always a limit but in a Sedan you have on the one hand the issue of phase cancelation as well as trunk sound isolation which makes the bass sound a lot quieter inside the main cabin and also that the whole trunk acts like a giant speaker to the outside.
    Not much which can be done about it. A 200W subwoofer is enough to make the neighborhood shake when the trunk is open but will sound relatively quiet while driving.