Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system cutting out...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed recently the sound system on my 2022 Model 3 Long Range cuts our to the front only speakers for a brief second or two. It's never done this before. My M3 just got 2023.20.4.1 and I haven't a chance to drive to see if it's now resolved. I primarily listen to only Apple Music (when it's working)

Anyone else have something similar?

Thanks

Yeah, something similar started happening to me in the last couple weeks (basic streaming, not apple music). Feels like the sub and its amp shutdown and restart as the sound gets tinny for a second or so. Seems to happen just a few seconds after I leave home, at a location similar to the wifi/lte switch. If I try to skip to the next song in the first few hundred feet of driving away from home it jams forever, and this glitch happens around that cross point. I have no idea if the two are related, just describing events.
I will try a reboot soon.

started experiencing a similar problem. It appears that they act up when I receive an alarm over the speakers. I've also experienced screen flickering issues. Additionally, schedule a meeting to see what transpires.

I've found that mine does this when you move your butt on the driver's seat sensor. If I'm parked, watching something and move my butt weight in the seat slightly, triggers the problem fairly dependibly. Seems the system syncs when certain sensors are triggered. Mine also does it when disconnecting from wifi.

started experiencing a similar problem. It appears that they act up when I receive an alarm over the speakers. I've also experienced screen flickering issues. Additionally, schedule a meeting to see what transpires.
This happens from time to time. Rebooting the infotainment system (two scroll wheel reset) solves the problem for a while. My theory is the computer is running out of memory, and it hiccups when trying to play alert sounds. This problem has come and gone with various software updates.

I concur with @Big Earl, it just happens at the start of a drive every once in a while. On very rare occasions the external speaker might even fail to make pedestrian warning sounds or will cut in/out but usually it's just a momentary lapse of interior speakers.

I only experience this when I throw the car into reverse just seconds after waking it from a deep sleep so I'd guess that the processor is just busy with more important things at bootup and skips some lower priority audio processing.

Last edited:
Having the exact same issues, been going on for a while now. I opened a service appointment for it yesterday.
Mine clicks on occasion, most typically when the car is making other sounds (but not always). Reminds me of listening to a scratched CD.
Oftentimes the bass/rear speakers seem to cut out momentarily as well. Will let you know what I find out, if anything.

Reactions: PaulSu
Glad I found this. Mine has been doing this for a few versions. I'm on 2023.20.9 and it's still doing it... I think more than ever. EXACT same symptoms as above: almost always when I first enter the car. Never in the middle of a drive.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
have the same problem in Austria, since Januar.
PDC, Radio, Spotify. Exact the same. Sound Cut out, cracks, Front Speaker and then all normal.
But One more, when i click on next song, from previous song to the next song i have the same crack sound.

8 Months and no Solution

Agreed. But interestingly enough, I had a 2018 loaner last week while my 2021 was in for service, and it had the same issue.

Yeah, it seems really common. I've learned to just try to ignore it because it only happens within about a minute of "start up" and doesn't seem to happen while driving. I keep thinking the most likely time for it to happen is when the music first comes on (I use streaming music) and you are putting it in gear or something else like the parking sensors are trying to make noise at the same time. But I can't really "prove" it.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Yeah, it seems really common. I've learned to just try to ignore it because it only happens within about a minute of "start up" and doesn't seem to happen while driving. I keep thinking the most likely time for it to happen is when the music first comes on (I use streaming music) and you are putting it in gear or something else like the parking sensors are trying to make noise at the same time. But I can't really "prove" it.

That matches my observation as well. There was a time where it was doing it at other times as well, but recent patches have minimized it to “startup time” now.

Tim

I don't want to jinx it but I have not heard the cut-out in 2023.38.9 yet. I haven't driven much since I got it but the 4x I have since I got that version, no cut-outs. Might need more data though: too early to tell for sure.