Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much play do you have in your steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my Model S in for service due to a faulty on-board charger and got a AP1 rental. On the way home from service, I noticed how much less play the steering wheel had, which results in zero nags on the drive home due to the wheel being much more sensitive to torque.

On my car, you have to turn the wheel quite a bit for the nag to go away, enough so that you can actually feel the car "twitch" a little side to side when you tug on the wheel to get rid of the nag. I typically rest my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (palm facing down), which causes a nag every X seconds. On the AP1, it was non existent and I attribute it to the steering wheel play.

I asked service to look into this issue as well, we'll see if there is any adjustment here that they can make.

Took my Model S in for service due to a faulty on-board charger and got a AP1 rental. On the way home from service, I noticed how much less play the steering wheel had, which results in zero nags on the drive home due to the wheel being much more sensitive to torque.

On my car, you have to turn the wheel quite a bit for the nag to go away, enough so that you can actually feel the car "twitch" a little side to side when you tug on the wheel to get rid of the nag. I typically rest my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (palm facing down), which causes a nag every X seconds. On the AP1, it was non existent and I attribute it to the steering wheel play.

I asked service to look into this issue as well, we'll see if there is any adjustment here that they can make.
Really late reply!, but did you ever get a resolution to this issue?, my 75D seems to be suffering from similar excessive play in the steering system.

Even later request! My 75D has a little play, feels like you are bumping off a little rubber bump stop while the car is stationary. Only a small bit of movement and I do wonder if its always been there but strange to notice now!

Really late reply!, but did you ever get a resolution to this issue?, my 75D seems to be suffering from similar excessive play in the steering system.

Check this topic:

Reactions: NikoV6
Check this topic:

Thanks Gtech, thats a copy of the symptoms I am having!

Mine is a dual motor RHD car, will take a look but suspect it will be tough to get to!