Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much power idle powerwalls use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think this is a question that has come up before, and it was also a question that I had going into my installation. Since I finally got PTO and switched my powerwalls into backup only mode I’ve been keeping an eye on the amount of power that they draw. Since they are in backup only mode now, any power that is drawn by the powerwalls would be power used to make up for vampire drain as well as any temperature conditioning.

What I have observed is that typically every two days my 4 powerwalls will draw 1.7kWh to bring their SOC up to 99%. Over the next 48 hours it will slowly drop to 96% and then they will draw another 1.7kWh to get back up to 99%.

So, 1.7kWh over 48 hours with 4 powerwalls means that each powerwall continually uses about 8.85W, which works out to about .21kWh per day.

Lately the temp has been reasonably mild here in Florida, so I suspect that number might go up if the powerwall had to deal with more extreme heat or extreme cold.

• Informative
Reactions: All In and bmah
I posted here - PW drainage and ability to charge from the Grid questions - new install - that I found about 550W daily use for 2 PW in one month in August (for 2 PWs, installed in a basement.)

Checking the numbers for the last 3 weeks (since the last outage,) my numbers are consistent - 551W daily use after accounting for the PWs being at a slightly higher charge - 0.42% - at the end of the period versus the beginning). So, it seems like my numbers are a bit above yours.

• Informative
Reactions: All In