Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you have to reset?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the MY since March 6, and I've had to reset 3 times because the touchscreen was unresponsive. Is that normal? Is it just like your phone, and it's to be expected that we'll have to reset from time to time?

What was interesting is that even though the touchscreen didn't work, I was able to still control things through my phone like open up the trunk/frunk and change the climate controls.

It was just a little disconcerting because I didn't realize the touchscreen was unresponsive until after I was already on the move.

• Helpful
Reactions: Reborn and FlyF4
Owned since late June 2020, and over 7200 miles, have reset (with the steering wheel controls - not a hard reset) approximate 5 times due to unresponsive screen controls. It was partial unresponsiveness (some items worked, some didn't, typically the radio) and only 1 time it was full screen unreponsiveness. I have never had a full crash/reboot on its own. For as complex as any software and operating system is, I think resetting 5 times over close to a year is completely acceptable. I've owned an iPhone 12 Pro Max far less time than my MY, and have rebooted at least 10 times due to unresponsiveness, losing cellular/WiFi without recovery, and other random software failures/freezes.

I typically do this after any update, but that is just for good measure. Yes, the system reboots after an update but I've found this works for me and I then don't have any issues. Owned for close to 2 years now. I only recall issues with older versions and perhaps this approach I take helps but probably isn't necessary. Only takes a few minutes though. I experienced issues with LTE dropping out from time to time on my side. With occasional screen funkiness.

Reactions: jpfive
I typically do this after any update, but that is just for good measure. Yes, the system reboots after an update but I've found this works for me and I then don't have any issues. Owned for close to 2 years now. I only recall issues with older versions and perhaps this approach I take helps but probably isn't necessary. Only takes a few minutes though. I experienced issues with LTE dropping out from time to time on my side. With occasional screen funkiness.
I do the same thing after updates. I've had my 2020 LR MY since 8/2020 and have only rebooted at my initiative (after OTA updates) never because of software glitches. Guess I've been fortunate.

I've had the screen unresponsive when the car boots up after sleeping for a while. I'm talking 15-30seconds, after which it works fine. Are you in this situation? If so, just leave it some time.
I've had the screen misbehave or otherwise not take my inputs when it was very dirty or when the screen protector caused trouble, somewhat simulating multiple presses at the same time. Make sure your screen is clean and your protector is very well installed, if you have one. I needed to reset once after the protector install.
If you are not in any of these conditions, then something might be wrong.

Its done that twice with me. Owned the car for 3 weeks so far.

Both times was entering the car. First time was getting in the driver seat and needed to go to work but heard the chime but no screen. Decided to try putting it in gear to Drive, pushed the accelerator pedal and it moved without the screen being on. I put it in park, got out and got back in and the screen came up.

Second time was when I needed to program a new key, I got into the passenger side, sat down and no screen but heard the chimes. I got out and walked to the driver side and sat down and the screen came on.

I reset (Held down the two toggles on the steering wheel) only once.

Once, and I've owned it since late Oct '20. It has reset itself while driving twice over 7300 miles.

To be honest, the updates usually come every about every 3 weeks or less, so the car is rebooting itself within that time. Teslafi lets me know the time between the updates, it says the average is every 11 days, and the last one has been 16 days... that might be the reason.

I've had the MY since March 6, and I've had to reset 3 times because the touchscreen was unresponsive. Is that normal? Is it just like your phone, and it's to be expected that we'll have to reset from time to time?

What was interesting is that even though the touchscreen didn't work, I was able to still control things through my phone like open up the trunk/frunk and change the climate controls.

It was just a little disconcerting because I didn't realize the touchscreen was unresponsive until after I was already on the move.
We’ve had our MY for a little over a year. Once about six months ago the screen went black while driving on the expressway. It reset itself before I had a chance to pull over to reboot it. In the past 2 weeks the screen was black two separate times. I couldn’t wake the car to leave our garage. So I had to do a hard reboot both times (pressed both scroll wheels and the brake pedal). It took about 5 minutes each time. I’ve read on other threads that recent software updates are buggy. So I’m not sure if I should continue to expect this to occur after updates.