Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How pixalated is your dash cam footage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, but I see pixelation and green blocks on virtually every video. How often are you seeing pixelation?

When I look at my SanDisk Ultra flashdrive I see some green corruption on the videos, not all. Tends for some reason to appear more frequently on my left repeater files. I also have seen weird pixelation off an on. Sometimes when parked on even static portions of the video like the pavement or my garage door. On the garage door we've wondered if it's due to the LED lights at the sides of the garage door but have noticed it during the day at times too. Those garage lights are always on even during the day. I have a new Blackvue microSD card coming so will be interested to see how it performs in my Model 3 with TeslaCam. The Blackvue media has worked really well in our former DR650 and now DR900-2ch dashcams with no corruption essentially and we've run it 24/7. We did get corruption on the 650 during hot summer days where the camera was positioned with the sun on it--could have been the camera overheating and/or the card. The camera has an operating range that could have been reached. So many variables.

Last edited:
I have a MacBookPro (with the new USB-C connectors) so picked up this card reader to use with a Blackvue microSD card I have on order. I liked it's aluminum body among other features. My husband didn't want me to overwrite files on the card he is using in his dashcam now so haven't tested it out in my Model 3 yet but I did use his card to view in the card reader on my computer and worked just fine. Video loaded and played quickly. Expecting my own card by midweek and will use to record video from TeslaCam then.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1J88CF
Here's the product on UGreen's website: 2-in-1 USB 3.0 / USB C Card Reader | UGREEN

UGreen has Apple's MFi certification according to their website.

Not sure how you arrived at that bitrate but for the most part it's recording at apx. 4Mbit/s with a little variation depending on the video clip.

Here's why I'm saying that and based on videos I checked from my own driving and examining front, left and right repeater cameras. You'll also notice the choice they made to record at 36 fps (30/60 typical for dashcam video).

I see the problem.

I'm discussing MB, you're doing Mb.

It's 0.5MB/sec (or 1.5 for 3 cameras)- based on simply looking at the file size and the length of the clip.

each camera is recording about 30 MB for each 60 seconds clip.

that's 0.5MB per second.... or 1.5MB/sec total for all 3 cameras being written.

The slowest USB2 drives of any size out there are 4-5 MB/sec write speeds... most significantly faster.

As noted though, even folks using SSDs have the same issues, so it's not a write speed problem as those should be able to write as fast as the USB2 port on the car can handle.

I see the problem.
I'm discussing MB, you're doing Mb.

It's 0.5MB/sec (or 1.5 for 3 cameras)- based on simply looking at the file size and the length of the clip.
each camera is recording about 30 MB for each 60 seconds clip.
that's 0.5MB per second.... or 1.5MB/sec total for all 3 cameras being written.

The slowest USB2 drives of any size out there are 4-5 MB/sec write speeds... most significantly faster.

As noted though, even folks using SSDs have the same issues, so it's not a write speed problem as those should be able to write as fast as the USB2 port on the car can handle.

LOL it is called bitrate rate and typically expressed Mbit/s but yes, tomato - tomatoe. The confusion on my part was that in your orig post there wasn’t any unit specified just the number.

Last edited:
OK, but I see pixelation and green blocks on virtually every video. How often are you seeing pixelation?
i am having same pixilation issue on my videos...i have a 2017 MS with MCU1 and HW3. however i did get a message on the screen saying "Some clips not saved - USB too slow for Dashcam. Use USB Drive that writes 4MB/s or higher"

i am using the usb that can write 3MB/sec. 64GB sandisk.
not sure if getting a 4MB will make the pixles go away. i get the ame pixles and greenblocks.

i am having same pixilation issue on my videos...i have a 2017 MS with MCU1 and HW3. however i did get a message on the screen saying "Some clips not saved - USB too slow for Dashcam. Use USB Drive that writes 4MB/s or higher"

i am using the usb that can write 3MB/sec. 64GB sandisk.
not sure if getting a 4MB will make the pixles go away. i get the ame pixles and greenblocks.

Get a better flash drive or even better an endurance microsd card/usb adapter.