Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How stiff is the Performance Model ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone.

For the folks who have the stealth model, did you order an AWD/P3 first and then ask your SA to find a stealth, or did you reach out to your local SC before ordering ?

Thanks again.
I ordered the AWD end of June 2018. It was delayed, and delayed, and then September came and delayed again. So I asked my local SC if they have any in stock, he said “No”. I said, hell with it, you have any Stealths in stock anyway near me? He said “Yes”. I said, Hell Yes! I’ll spend that 11k more (idiot). So in a matter of 1 minute on the phone, i paid 11k more.

Do i regret it? Hell No. Did my wife think I was an idiot? ... {Your Guess Here}.

Anyway, what is interesting is that the stealth in October was the worst deal Tesla offered, because originally, the 5k rebate was only for Perf+, not for stealth, then Elon changed his tune.

but now the Stealth is the most sought after car, from what I have read personally on boards.

Does my wife think I’m an idiot, now? Did she before? News at 11.

• Funny
Reactions: Ravenous21
For the folks who have the stealth model, did you order an AWD/P3 first and then ask your SA to find a stealth, or did you reach out to your local SC before ordering ?

Original Stealth order, the first day they (Performance) became available in June of 2018, delivered to me Aug 8. Those days they only came with 18" because the added package was the bigger rims, brakes, etc. As others said, all Performance have Track mode though it was a weird bumpy road getting there

It's cool Tesla finally allowed some of them to be available with 19s, would have been easier if they came that way in the beginning but I know why they didn't

It's a firm ride but not jarring even with some serious bad roads around here, also no broken rims on a couple nasty potholes

Reactions: hcdavis3
I ordered the AWD end of June 2018. It was delayed, and delayed, and then September came and delayed again. So I asked my local SC if they have any in stock, he said “No”. I said, hell with it, you have any Stealths in stock anyway near me? He said “Yes”. I said, Hell Yes! I’ll spend that 11k more (idiot). So in a matter of 1 minute on the phone, i paid 11k more.

Do i regret it? Hell No. Did my wife think I was an idiot? ... {Your Guess Here}.

Anyway, what is interesting is that the stealth in October was the worst deal Tesla offered, because originally, the 5k rebate was only for Perf+, not for stealth, then Elon changed his tune.

but now the Stealth is the most sought after car, from what I have read personally on boards.

Does my wife think I’m an idiot, now? Did she before? News at 11.

The Stealth, when I bought mine in August the year of our Lord 2019, was $2000 more than the LRAWD. Just sayin'..........

That's a curious statement. What's necessary for performance then? What kind of performance?
Maximum cornering forces are mostly related to the rubber compound, the placement of the rubber on the surface during cornering (i.e.: the alignment) and weight transfer. Excessive sidewall can impact the placement of the rubber, but other approaches can reduce that impact. (Stiffer sidewalls, rounder shoulder on the tire, high amounts of negative camber[1], etc).

Maximum acceleration is a function of power to weight, including rotating mass. Reduced moment of inertia in the tires will lead to faster acceleration times. Smaller wheels typically have lower moments of inertia, but carbon-fiber wheels might manage to be lighter than rubber.

Maximum deceleration is mostly a function of grip (see cornering, except negative camber hurts you here: you want the tire to be flat while braking) and the ability of the brake surfaces to dump heat. Bigger rotors have an easier time dumping heat, and this is the first place where larger wheels are a material benefit: they allow space for larger rotors. Similar to the other elements, it can be compensated for in other ways, but it's quite hard to compensate for in a way that's cheap (carbon ceramics fail here) and works at a wide temperature range (race pads fail to work well when cold).

The remaining argument for minimal sidewalls is when entering the corner or switching between corners. Smaller sidewalls tend to make it easier to have the car setup for the next corner.

It's been way too long since I last read it, so I might be thinking of the wrong book, but I recommend "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez. If it's the book I think it is, it goes into a ton of detail about how weight transfer and alignment settings impact cornering speeds.

TLDR; most track-dogs I know tend toward the smallest wheel option that fits over the largest brakes, when given the choice. An inability to properly change the alignment may affect this decision, but I understand there are products for that.

[1] my understanding is that you can't really dial in a ton of negative camber with the stock setup?

My Model 3 Performance replaced my 2016 340i with 20" 361 wheels running stock run-flat performance tires. The Model 3 rides smoother than the BMW did with the 20" wheels. For winter driving the BMW was equipped with the stock 18" 400 wheels with stock all-season tires and the ride of the Model 3 with my 19" winter setup on the Model 3. Overall I like the ride of the Model 3 better.

GLM

I really want to get the Performance Model, but my biggest concern is the 20" wheels.

#1 - Will the ride be too stiff? (coming from a BMW 3 series)
#2 - Will the wheels break/tires pop the first time i hit a pothole ? There are many where i live.

Thanks in advance.

Ride is most definitely not too stiff. Of course that all depends on your concept of what constitutes a stiff ride. As everyone has documented, 20 inch wheels have some significant trade-offs in terms of weight and vulnerability to damage and cost for that matter both for the wheel and the tire to achieve a certain popular aesthetic. I happen to like the way the car looks with 20 in wheels, and I bought some lightweight VS Forged in the VS 14 Style. These drop 7lb a corner of unsprung weight - which is a lot compared to the OEM wheel. While these are not cheap they are actually less expensive than replacing the OEM wheels, and in my opinion they're an excellent value. See Josh at getyourwheels.Com

I also invested in the Mountain Pass Sports coilovers. Even though they're a bit firmer than stock the ride is still very comfortable, and the handling is very significantly upgraded. You can dial in your ride height as well. Overall I think the ride is remarkable for a car with this little sidewall. I suspect that that's because Tesla did a really good job with bushing tuning, and they also changed I suspect shock valving a bit after early complaints about the first model 3 is coming off the assembly line in early 2018. My wife hates stiff riding cars (complaining bitterly about a track modified Lexus IS350 where you needed a kidney belt) and I think she feels that the performance model 3 rides really well.

20200108_113423.jpg