Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to put my plates on my car when it gets back from the service center. Are you recommending I use different screws to attach it? Sounds like once that plate is in there I won't be able to remove it for a new registration sticker?

Was trespass trying to improve on this system because it sounds like they made an even worse system than the standard one.

Reactions: Hamilton C
What I did was use 10 x 3/4 stainless steel sheet metal screws and applied a bit of anti-seize to the screw threads. I wanted to prevent the reported issue where people couldn't remove their license plates when installed by the Service Center.

If there are any issues, then it's on me.

I was able to find a size at the local auto parts store that fit snuggly into the existing holes and came with the proper size screws for the plastic fasteners. They sold various sizes and I purchased several not being sure exactly what size I needed. The smaller one worked well.

I was able to find a size at the local auto parts store that fit snuggly into the existing holes and came with the proper size screws for the plastic fasteners. They sold various sizes and I purchased several not being sure exactly what size I needed. The smaller one worked well.
Which autoparts store? UPC or part number? Pictures of the bag? Any details appreciated.

I did this back in May when I received my tags so I don't have the bags or parts info. I purchased them at either O'Reilly Auto Parts or Autozone as those are the two closest auto parts stores to me. Both located on University Ave. in Riverside, Ca.

EDIT:
Because I purchased several I went out in my garage to see if I kept the ones that didn't fit and I found one set made by Pro Elite. I think that was the brand of the ones that did fit too but I can't be certain. It might have been the Hillman group as they make ones for European metric sizes.

Last edited:
I had this same problem with my Model S years ago. I held the screw anchor from rotating with a small awl while I unscrewed the screw (as shown).

upload_2018-11-13_17-45-5.png

With the license plate removed and the trunk fully up, I applied a few drops of Superglue to the screw anchor while slightly rotating it back and forth with a flat screwdriver to spread the glue. 5 seconds later the anchor was solid. Doing it with the trunk fully up stops the glue from running.

I’m waiting for our metal plates to arrive. Yippee. For once you would think Tesla would use standard American size parts. Go to Autozone and see what the square hole is sized at, make the car’s plate holes a standard size, and give the SC’s those. :D

Hoping Tyson’s used screws that were the right size!

I had this same problem with my Model S years ago. I held the screw anchor from rotating with a small awl while I unscrewed the screw (as shown).

View attachment 352403

With the license plate removed and the trunk fully up, I applied a few drops of Superglue to the screw anchor while slightly rotating it back and forth with a flat screwdriver to spread the glue. 5 seconds later the anchor was solid. Doing it with the trunk fully up stops the glue from running.

Thank you!
That’s all I needed to get the screw out.