Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get autopark to work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, how do you get the P to show up?
I have FSD
I've heard that there must be a car on each side of the parking space.
I've heard you must drive slowly past the space.
Then the P shows up.

Nope.

I've tried putting in reverse and/or backing up to the space. Nope
I drove by the spot close and further away.

Nada

But....today I was in Publix, got in the the car, put my foot on the brake to turn on the car and boom, there's a P. I was already parked, and the P was in the driving lane. Progress, I'll take it.

Mine MY has a 'P' batting average of 100, which is a swing & miss when I really need it. I have tried to get the MY to show a 'P' over and over again on available parallel parking spaces as I circle the block waiting for my spouse to end her shopping & returns. I guess I will have to rely on my natural parking skills!

1625688343449.png

• Funny
Reactions: Riguy and Watts_Up
OK, how do you get the P to show up?
I have FSD
I've heard that there must be a car on each side of the parking space.
I've heard you must drive slowly past the space.
Then the P shows up.

Nope.

I've tried putting in reverse and/or backing up to the space. Nope
I drove by the spot close and further away.

Nada

But....today I was in Publix, got in the the car, put my foot on the brake to turn on the car and boom, there's a P. I was already parked, and the P was in the driving lane. Progress, I'll take it.
That's the problem with the current software. You cannot manually activate the feature. It activates whenever it thinks you are parking, usually parallel or backing in. Yeah, it typically showed up after I've already halfway done with parking. Perhaps future software update will improve it.

Just like FSD, Autopark is half-baked. In my experience the “P” shows up about 30% of the time. And even then, the actual parking only works about 50% of the time.

Another reason why they will never get another $10K from me.

Since Tesla knows the exact GPS location of every supercharger stall, I would expect that

the coming Full FSD (with street driving capability), when you set an itinerary using the NAP (Navigation on AutPilot),

will be able to exit from a freeway and drive you to a Supercharger and park your car in reverse to any available stall.

Note: This is what a future Robot Taxi should be able to do anyway when some Superchargers will have self-charge capability using a snake or robotic arm.

Last edited:
Reactions: SalisburySam