Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get Sirius/XM in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SiriusXM Tour gives a Bluetooth tip on its touchscreen: "You may be able to connect your cellphone to the SiriusXM radio via bluetooth. The SiriusXM radio will pass a call through the vehicle's head unit. Consult the user guide at www.siriusxm.com/guides for more information."

Nothing mentioned in the user manual as far as I can see. I tried it but my Pixel 3 phone would not stay paired to the Tour for more than a second. Anyone have idea on how this could be made to happen?

Also noticed today you can stream SiriusXM using Web connectivity but as soon as the vehicle moves the streaming stops--odd??

SiriusXM Tour gives a Bluetooth tip on its touchscreen: "You may be able to connect your cellphone to the SiriusXM radio via bluetooth. The SiriusXM radio will pass a call through the vehicle's head unit. Consult the user guide at www.siriusxm.com/guides for more information."

Nothing mentioned in the user manual as far as I can see. I tried it but my Pixel 3 phone would not stay paired to the Tour for more than a second. Anyone have idea on how this could be made to happen?

Also noticed today you can stream SiriusXM using Web connectivity but as soon as the vehicle moves the streaming stops--odd??

I had seen the same thing, but I also can't keep a bluetooth connection with my iPhone for more than a couple of seconds. Looks like a promising option but can't get it to work

I enjoy XM quite a bit and I don’t want to get the hardware or use my phone for the streaming service. Any clue why Tesla doesn’t have the XM automatically installed?

Sure - because the receiver and antenna have a cost associated with them.

I’m hoping they get around to developing a SiriusXM streaming app for the Tesla interface, but there hasn’t been any evidence to date of that.

Reactions: RedWhite19
Yes, and is the same reason that Homelink is now an additional option. It is enough of an expense when multiplied across millions of vehicles.
Millions? Tesla only hit their million vehicle in March 2020.

In comparison, the largest automakers in the world (e.g. Toyota and VW) produce ~10 million vehicles/year and they ship vehicles w/SiriusXM radios (Automotive Partners A – K) on their various brands (e.g. Toyota, Lexus, VW, Audi, Porsche, etc.)

Reactions: hcdavis3
Your point is ‘so far, they’ve only made a million vehicles’. I made no claim of time in my statement. The simple fact is, if there is an expense that is unnecessary in a vehicle that sells in large numbers, it need not be included in all built, especially if it can be added later. One wonders how much profit the largest makers of automobiles in the world have lost including devices that only a percentage of their purchasers use.

At this point, while Tesla is doing better than other niche automobile makers, it still seems wise for them to be cautious about their profit/loss in each vehicle.

In comparison, the largest automakers in the world (e.g. Toyota and VW) produce ~10 million vehicles/year and they ship vehicles w/SiriusXM radios (Automotive Partners A – K) on their various brands (e.g. Toyota, Lexus, VW, Audi, Porsche, etc.)

To date, I don't think Tesla has made it their business to do things simply because that's how the other guys do things.

In fact, I'd say part of their raison d'etre has been to NOT do that.

Your point is ‘so far, they’ve only made a million vehicles’. I made no claim of time in my statement. The simple fact is, if there is an expense that is unnecessary in a vehicle that sells in large numbers, it need not be included in all built, especially if it can be added later. One wonders how much profit the largest makers of automobiles in the world have lost including devices that only a percentage of their purchasers use.

At this point, while Tesla is doing better than other niche automobile makers, it still seems wise for them to be cautious about their profit/loss in each vehicle.
It would be nice if Tesla gives you options. Their limited options is a major downer. Yeah, yeah, efficiency...

You want XM? Well, you need to buy an S or X.
You want premium sound? Well, you need to buy a LR.

I wouldn’t mind paying a little extra if they offered it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1100MCM and cwerdna
I also use my iPhone app it works great why go threw the headache of hooking up a the unit and antenna its so simple just to use the streaming service. Plus I am always using it in my big truck now and don't want those type of headaches with my Tesla

I also use my iPhone app it works great why go threw the headache of hooking up a the unit and antenna its so simple just to use the streaming service. Plus I am always using it in my big truck now and don't want those type of headaches with my Tesla

On screen details, steering wheel controls, voice commands... plenty of reasons to want it integrated.

Reactions: 1100MCM
also not tying up your phone and using it’s data. Tesla needs a major ui update and add more streaming services.

If you’ve seen the refresh of the SiriusXM client on the Mindel S &X, it sure feels like streaming is coming. Just the way it’s laid out with a “Subscription” tab ..... I have no inside knowledge, just taking a guess.

I’m now delving into this thread to try and find a way to add XM to my MY. I went for my first drive in the canyons with the Y and immediately noticed I lost all connectivity shortly after beginning my drive. Couldn’t stream from the car, couldn’t stream from my phone due to no cell signal, I do have a hard drive in the car but for some reason that was acting up as well (loading error when trying to play songs). This left me pretty frustrated and missing my former car which I’d taken on many adventures in the woods while listening to XM on the factory head unit. So since I do have a current subscription, I’m hoping to add a discreet unit to the Y to achieve a similar goal. Lot’s off good ideas so far, thanks!

Reactions: crackers8199