Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make custom Boombox audio files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this but...

I tried to do a writeup about my Boombox testing with custom audio files. I could pull audio from youtube, and make a custom sound clip, and then play it on the car, but I think there is currently an inconvenient bug in the Boombox code. Hopefully, you can get your own custom Boombox sounds to work, by using this writeup. And, maybe some people can verify/disprove my bug finding... and clarify/make any of these steps below better... or offer better suggestions on how to accomlish this stuff. Feel free to leave comments below if my writeup desnt make any sense, or you need help... I can try to help if I have time (or some kind reddit person might help as well)

Create a boombox usb drive:
1. format the usb to "exFAT" (everything on the drive will be deleted. I dont know which format the drive has to be, but exFAT worked)
2. name the usb drive "Boombox" (this might not be required)
3. create a folder named "Boombox"
4. put .mp3 files in the folder (there might be a limit of 5 files)
5. plug the usb drive into car
6. the files should show up at the bottom of the boombox files list

Boombox custom sounds bug?
I think there might be a software bug in the Tesla Boombox code, which is preventing custom Boombox files from being automatically played over the outside speaker.

The steps I had to do to get the Boombox sound to play through the outside speaker were:
For a pre-loaded sound:
1. initiate the Boombox sound (press Preview, or honk, or put the car in Drive/Reverse, or Summon... if those are toggled on)
2. Boombox sound is now playing on the outside speaker
For a custom sound:
1. initiate the Boombox sound
2. increase or decrease the car's volume by 1
3. Boombox sound is now playing on the outside speaker

For step 2. the Boombox code seems to do this automatically for the pre-loaded sounds, but you have to manually press the car's volume up or down for a custom Boombox sound

I would guess that the Boombox code is decreasing the car's volume by 1, and then increasing the car's volume by 1, after a Boombox sound is initiated. For the custom sounds, I would guess that the Boombox code is NOT changing the car's volume, after the Boombox custom sound is initiated.

Example Test steps:
1. turn car volume to 0
2. press Preview (or initiate a Boombox sound)
3. press Stop
car volume is still 0, if it was a custom sound
car volume is at 1, if it was a preloaded sound

I tried testing by starting with the car's volume at 2-3 (non-zero/non-mute)... I got the same results with the custom Boombox audio. If I initiated a custom Boombox sound, it didnt play on the outside speakers, unless I pressed the car's volume up or down.

How to get custom .mp3 files from youtube: (for windows 10) Feel free to use your own methods/software at any step here, because I dont really know anything about audio/editing audio or whatever. And, I have no idea how safe youtube-dl and ffmpeg are so...
a. I downloaded youtube-dl.exe
youtube-dl: Download Page
click the "Windows exe" link to download the .exe file
b. I downloaded ffmpeg
(this was need to download straight to a .mp3 file, rather than a .mp4 file)
I referenced this video to get ffmpeg:
The steps are basically:
1. go here: Releases · BtbN/FFmpeg-Builds
2. download this one: ffmpeg-n4.3.1-26-gca55240b8c-win64-gpl-4.3.zip
3. move the file to where you want it
4. extract all files (and feel free to rename those long folders)
5. go into the folders and find "bin"... and make sure ffmpeg.exe is in there
c. I created a "youtube-dl_mp3.bat" file (you will at least need to change the 3 variables at the top of this file)
(the -x command will only work if you add the ffmpeg to your environment variables.)
(you can also replace -x and everything after it with "-f mp4", to download a .mp4 version)
set url=
set output_filename=test_full
set output_directory=C:\Users\eight\Desktop\Boombox\mp3_files\

youtube-dl.exe -o %output_filename%.mp3 %url% -x --audio-format mp3
copy %cd%\%output_filename%.mp3 %output_directory%
del %cd%\%output_filename%.mp3
d. I created a "mp4_to_mp3.bat" file (you will at least need to change the 4 variables at the top of this file)
set filename=blues_horn_7
set ffmpeg_exe=C:\Users\eight\Desktop\Boombox\bat_files\ffmpeg\ffmpeg-n4.3.1-26-gca55240b8c-win64-gpl-4.3\bin\ffmpeg.exe
set input_directory=C:\Users\eight\Desktop\Boombox\mp4_files\
set output_directory=C:\Users\eight\Desktop\Boombox\mp3_files\

%ffmpeg_exe% -i %input_directory%%filename%.mp4 %output_directory%%filename%.mp3
e. add ffmpeg to environment PATH variable:
1. press the "windows key" on keyboard
2. type "environment"
3. press enter ("Edit the system environment variables" should be selected)
4. click "Environment Variables..." button
5. In the top box, find "Path" or "PATH".
6. click the line that has "Path" or "PATH"
7. click edit
8. click new
9. paste in your path the the bin folder in the ffmpeg folder.
(It should be something like this: C:\Users\eight\Desktop\ffmpeg\ffmpeg-n4.3.1-26-gca55240b8c-win64-gpl-4.3\bin)
10. click ok, ok, ok

If the entire youtube video's audio is exactly what you want, then you should be able to simply run the "youtube-dl_mp3.bat" file, and then move that file on to your Boombox usb drive.

If you want to slice/trim/cut out a specific part of the audio... then you have to use some editing software to slice out the parts you want/don't want. I was using OpenShot Video editor for this (OpenShot Video Editor | Free, Open, and Award-Winning Video Editor for Linux, Mac, and Windows!). My rough steps of using OpenShot were:
1. I added the .mp3 or .mp4 file to a track in OpenShot
2. play audio/move the marker on the track to where I wanted to slice
3. right click the marker -> slice all -> keep whatever side you want
4. continue slicing until you have your clip good
5. click + drag the audio all the way to the left on the track
6. File -> Export Project -> Export Video
(name it, and choose a directory, and click "Export Video")
7. I ran my "mp4_to_mp3.bat" file to get the .mp3 file.

There seems to be a few bugs with custom sounds playing outside. I noticed having to change the volume to get the custom sounds to play outside that you mentioned. Also, if you have the button selected to "play current media" outside and then honk it will play the custom sounds outside without adjusting volume, but then turns off the "play current media" option and just goes silent.

2022 MXP: I used .wav files and in the menu the custom horn sounds seems to work but after the car parks or is turned off all those buttons on that menu go back and my horn is just the factory sound. Im sure its something Im doing wrong, but what?

Also there has GOT to be a way to use that existing thumbdrive to store camera files AND use the existing usbdrive as a boombox folder for custom horn sounds... but it just doesnt work?? any other tricks there?