Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom lock sound file - where does it go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Need some help with custom lock sounds. holiday update 2023. I can't get a file to show up. My usb drive that came with the car is broken up into TESLACAM and BOOMBOX. My custom boombox sounds are all mp3 and do work in the car. This was formatted on windows way back when. I now have an iMac and am trying to add the custom lock. The sound im trying to use is now wav and have tried naming it lockFile.wav and just LockFile as some have suggested. Neither work. Does the file need to be in the boombox folder or teslacam folder or just placed on the usb without being in a folder? Since im using Mac now do I need to reformat everything as it's all currently windows exfat? I even tried it as an mp3 since all others are mp3 and work. Ive also tried moving the files in and out of the different folders but still no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks

Does the file have to be on the sentry mode? USB? I have a hub which has the sentry mode USB and then a bunch of light shows on another USB. Can I add a third USB that has the lockchime.wav file on it?

Also, I saw somewhere on YouTube, where someone plugged in the USB changed it to USB from the toybox, and was able to actually remove the drive and it’s still the file somehow anyone experience that?

Upvote 0
Does the file have to be on the sentry mode? USB? I have a hub which has the sentry mode USB and then a bunch of light shows on another USB. Can I add a third USB that has the lockchime.wav file on it?

Also, I saw somewhere on YouTube, where someone plugged in the USB changed it to USB from the toybox, and was able to actually remove the drive and it’s still the file somehow anyone experience that?
Can be on any USB. You can put it in with your light show USB or the dashcam/sentry USB.

Upvote 0
I was able to add custom sound for my X, but my Y still not detecting the file. Also, I had files in the boombox and that had worked briefly and disappeared from the list as well. It's very puzzling. I don't know if it's because Boombox and Teslacam are in separate drive. I noticed my X doesn't have Boombox drive. or the folder, so I'm wondering if boox folder and drive is somehow interfering.

Upvote 0
Correcte wav.file op USB gezet maar telkens ik USB wil selecteren krijg ik instructie hoe ik soundfile op de stick dien te zetten.
Om één of andere reden kan ik dashcam ook niet activeren zie ik: gevraagd wordt USB aan te sluiten maar die zit er dus wel degelijk in. Defecte USB-stick dan ? Formatteren lukt ook niet in wagen, knoppen bij dashcam blijven grijs zonder mogelijkheid aan te klikken dus ...

iemand raad ? alvast bedankt !

Upvote 0
So I've spent way too long mucking with this.. but here are a few pro tips I'll share:
  1. The types of sounds you might want for your Tesla share commonality with phone ringtones. I've been using MELOBOOM - миллионы рингтонов бесплатно! Найди свой рингтон >>> as a great source of ideas.
  2. MELOBOOM - миллионы рингтонов бесплатно! Найди свой рингтон >>> also then allows you to 'cut' (trim) the file down easily - important since we're limited to 1MB (and you can re-cut these when you find your files are too big after conversion to wav)
  3. That gives you an MP3 file which then needs to be converted into a wav file - Convertio — File Converter gives you 10min of conversion time per day and let's you see the ending file size even before downloading the finished producty
  4. If you click on the 'cog' before converting a file on Convertio — File Converter , there are some options. The best one is to change the audio to mono - this cuts the file size by ~40% typically and doesn't appear to impact the sound quality coming out of the Tesla. This is great for getting a long sample to play when your Tesla locks. You can also easily increase or decrease the audio level of the file via the same cog wheel which I've found helpful in tuning how loud it is since some of the files can be over (or under) -powering.
Happy LockChiming :)

Reactions: Pkmmte
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I’ve messed around with this for days, it’s driving me mad. I managed to upload 1 sound, on a usb with no other files other than the one sound. It shows up as USB in the lock list. I removed the usb to reformat and partition so I could save dashcam footage and the sound is still there even tho I’ve removed the stick. Is this right? It’s like the cars held on to the sound. I also can’t seem to replace it with another sound.

Reactions: Skavatar
Upvote 0