Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom lock sound file - where does it go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Need some help with custom lock sounds. holiday update 2023. I can't get a file to show up. My usb drive that came with the car is broken up into TESLACAM and BOOMBOX. My custom boombox sounds are all mp3 and do work in the car. This was formatted on windows way back when. I now have an iMac and am trying to add the custom lock. The sound im trying to use is now wav and have tried naming it lockFile.wav and just LockFile as some have suggested. Neither work. Does the file need to be in the boombox folder or teslacam folder or just placed on the usb without being in a folder? Since im using Mac now do I need to reformat everything as it's all currently windows exfat? I even tried it as an mp3 since all others are mp3 and work. Ive also tried moving the files in and out of the different folders but still no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks

You may also want to see this thread that I posted for issues with creating multiple partitions on a single USB:

Bottom line is that this seems to be very finicky and dependent on USB device, Tesla model and year, which port the Tesla has and if 2 ports (console and glovebox) which is being used, as well as the partitioning scheme (boot record). I tried many combinations and at the end of the thread you'll see the one that worked for me. Also had issues with sound files looking OK but sometimes not being recognized unless exported in a new format.

Upvote 0
I’ve messed around with this for days, it’s driving me mad. I managed to upload 1 sound, on a usb with no other files other than the one sound. It shows up as USB in the lock list. I removed the usb to reformat and partition so I could save dashcam footage and the sound is still there even tho I’ve removed the stick. Is this right? It’s like the cars held on to the sound. I also can’t seem to replace it with another sound.
Once you select the sound it gets uploaded to the car. You don’t need it on the USB after. Also it doesn’t need its own USB. You can save it on the same USB as the dash cam footage.

Upvote 0
Hello. Need some help with custom lock sounds. holiday update 2023. I can't get a file to show up. My usb drive that came with the car is broken up into TESLACAM and BOOMBOX. My custom boombox sounds are all mp3 and do work in the car. This was formatted on windows way back when. I now have an iMac and am trying to add the custom lock. The sound im trying to use is now wav and have tried naming it lockFile.wav and just LockFile as some have suggested. Neither work. Does the file need to be in the boombox folder or teslacam folder or just placed on the usb without being in a folder? Since im using Mac now do I need to reformat everything as it's all currently windows exfat? I even tried it as an mp3 since all others are mp3 and work. Ive also tried moving the files in and out of the different folders but still no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks
What worked for me is naming the file "LockChime" instead of "LockChime.wav", but still making sure the file type is a wave file (.wav). I had to trim down my clip under 1MB = 1000kb, and ended up being 933kb. Then I just put the file in the main directory of the USB, not in any folders like Boombox or Teslacam. It may still show up a message to add a file named LockChime but just keep trying to select USB and it should work.

Upvote 0
Put the new sound on the flash drive with file name LockChime.wav then put the flash drive back in the car. Enable the Lock Sound and select one of the built-in sounds. It should play. Re-select USB for the sound. It should play and be your new sound.
Just to add a data point, I just did this and had no issues at all. Updated the sound a few times, until I had the right volume, and I'm all set.

I preferred the subtle sound of the Lexus "beep" for door locks, so that's what I went with (for now). Except I used the double beep to ensure I can hear it. Even through it should be 1 beep for lock, and 2 for unlock. The default "chirp" sound is the same way and backwards as well. ;)

Upvote 0
Put it in the root of the USB stick. I didn't name it anything special and it works.

Upvote 0
Put the new sound on the flash drive with file name LockChime.wav then put the flash drive back in the car. Enable the Lock Sound and select one of the built-in sounds. It should play. Re-select USB for the sound. It should play and be your new sound.
So strange that I am unable to replace the sound. I made a custom lock sound, Mission Impossible which works great, and now my 2020 M3 doesn’t want to part from it. I’ve tried everything. I’ve reformatted the usb, I did a soft reset of the car, I powered down the car, and I did all of the above that you mentioned as well. I know the files that I tried replacing it are correct (I’m an audio engineer), but it just won’t part with Mission Impossible lol. Anyone else have this issue at all?

Reactions: Skavatar
Upvote 0
So strange that I am unable to replace the sound. I made a custom lock sound, Mission Impossible which works great, and now my 2020 M3 doesn’t want to part from it. I’ve tried everything. I’ve reformatted the usb, I did a soft reset of the car, I powered down the car, and I did all of the above that you mentioned as well. I know the files that I tried replacing it are correct (I’m an audio engineer), but it just won’t part with Mission Impossible lol. Anyone else have this issue at all?
It's probably over 1MB, had the same issue and was going mad, realized the file size was a hair over 1MB and kept playing the old sound.

Reactions: SergeyP
Upvote 0
It's probably over 1MB, had the same issue and was going mad, realized the file size was a hair over 1MB and kept playing the old sound.
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. No it isn’t more than 1mb. All of my files are less than 1mb, named appropriately, and when loaded onto the usb I load it to the root drive. . I’m an audio engineer by trade.. I edit audio for a living so I’m very aware of what file format, naming, and size required. Thanks.

Reactions: Skavatar
Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. No it isn’t more than 1mb. All of my files are less than 1mb, named appropriately, and when loaded onto the usb I load it to the root drive. . I’m an audio engineer by trade.. I edit audio for a living so I’m very aware of what file format, naming, and size required. Thanks.
One other small nit to check is that after putting the USB drive back in (with your new lockchime.wav), you have to select a built-in chime (like 'Chirp') AND let it completely finish playing before reselecting 'USB' or it doesn't appear to refresh the lockchime.wav with the updated version.

I use the 'Chirp' one because it's one of the quickest to play. Maybe that helps?

I've also had friends (experienced with computers ones) end up with a double-extension by accident. (eg., lockchime.wav.wav) - especially where they were trading lockchime.wav files via text message with iphones where a wav file that is shared has its file extension changed by default I believe.

...those are the only other two things I can think of that may still be an issue. I haven't had any experience with bit depth or anything else wav format wise...though I will say that the different between mono and stereo is indistinguishable to me...and so all of mine are mono which allows me to use longer duration wav files while still staying under 1MB.

Reactions: SergeyP
Upvote 0
So you got me thinking Fleer. I’m going to do some testing. The file that works is at 758kb. The two files that aren’t working are at 950kb, which is less than 1mb. Perhaps the “less than 1mb” isn’t totally accurate, since it’s not seeing the 950kb files. I’m going to play around to see what I come up with.

Upvote 0
One other small nit to check is that after putting the USB drive back in (with your new lockchime.wav), you have to select a built-in chime (like 'Chirp') AND let it completely finish playing before reselecting 'USB' or it doesn't appear to refresh the lockchime.wav with the updated version.

I use the 'Chirp' one because it's one of the quickest to play. Maybe that helps?

I've also had friends (experienced with computers ones) end up with a double-extension by accident. (eg., lockchime.wav.wav) - especially where they were trading lockchime.wav files via text message with iphones where a wav file that is shared has its file extension changed by default I believe.

...those are the only other two things I can think of that may still be an issue. I haven't had any experience with bit depth or anything else wav format wise...though I will say that the different between mono and stereo is indistinguishable to me...and so all of mine are mono which allows me to use longer duration wav files while still staying under 1MB.
Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
Ok so it seems the “less than 1 mb” isn’t totally accurate. As I stated earlier, 950kb files were not recognized. So I used an 858kb file and that worked. When I have time, I’m going to try and do some further tests to see how close I can get to 1mb before the file isn’t recognized. I now know that 950kb isn’t recognized, so I’ll work from there.

At least I got it working now. Appreciate all of the input here. Also some tips when editing your file to make it smaller. If your wav file is close to the limit size but not working, you can always try resampling the wav file from 44.1khz, to 32khz, or even 22khz. That will help shrink the size as well. Don’t worry about losing fidelity because the outside speaker isn’t high fidelity anyway. I’ve done this and it sounds fine.

Upvote 0
How do you increase the volume of this sound file as mine just does not seem to be loud enough for me to hear it while walking away. Thanks
I have not done anything with the volume. I downloaded the original from Zedge and cropped it. However, I remember reading a post on this forum with instructions how to increase volumes of a recording (but I cannot find a link to it).

Upvote 0