Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom lock sound file - where does it go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Need some help with custom lock sounds. holiday update 2023. I can't get a file to show up. My usb drive that came with the car is broken up into TESLACAM and BOOMBOX. My custom boombox sounds are all mp3 and do work in the car. This was formatted on windows way back when. I now have an iMac and am trying to add the custom lock. The sound im trying to use is now wav and have tried naming it lockFile.wav and just LockFile as some have suggested. Neither work. Does the file need to be in the boombox folder or teslacam folder or just placed on the usb without being in a folder? Since im using Mac now do I need to reformat everything as it's all currently windows exfat? I even tried it as an mp3 since all others are mp3 and work. Ive also tried moving the files in and out of the different folders but still no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hello. Need some help with custom lock sounds. holiday update 2023. I can't get a file to show up. My usb drive that came with the car is broken up into TESLACAM and BOOMBOX. My custom boombox sounds are all mp3 and do work in the car. This was formatted on windows way back when. I now have an iMac and am trying to add the custom lock. The sound im trying to use is now wav and have tried naming it lockFile.wav and just LockFile as some have suggested. Neither work. Does the file need to be in the boombox folder or teslacam folder or just placed on the usb without being in a folder? Since im using Mac now do I need to reformat everything as it's all currently windows exfat? I even tried it as an mp3 since all others are mp3 and work. Ive also tried moving the files in and out of the different folders but still no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks
Name the file LockChime.wav and place the file on the usb drive.

Upvote 0
Interestingly enough, lockchime.wav works fine for me...so wonder if it's multiple file names? (or lock*.wav or something?)

I've also taken to putting folders in my Boombox directory with the name of each lock sound (as the folder name). That way, I can have lockchime.wav in each of the folders and makes it easy to just copy it to the root of the drive when I want to change it.

One note I remember reading somewhere is that wav files are limited to 1MB. Haven't tested that yet though...

Reactions: drewshady
Upvote 0
Yup, go to NotATeslaApp. It says to do what you did:
1000025847.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: drewshady
Upvote 0
Yup, go to NotATeslaApp. It says to do what you did:
View attachment 1001578
Thanks again everyone. Somehow in the middle of all this renaming, swapping folders and trying to leave the wav part out of it, my exhausted brain somehow forgot its called lockchime.wav and I kept renaming it LockFile for some reason lol. Also in the middle of choosing the sounds I wanted, I think my iMac killed an old usb thumb drive I had which had literally every single phrase Kitt AND Karr had said in the entire Knight Rider series that I bought on ebay many years ago and of course there are no more for sale. I was stressed to death losing that thing. Some of my favorite files from that were saved on other devices thankfully and now the "LockChime.wav" file just sits on the Tesla usb in the car without being in the Teslacam or boombox folder and is working. Thank you all!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I found some neat "Star Trek" sounds on THIS website. I snagged the following to try out:
  • ds9_odo_console_2
  • energize
  • forcefield_powering_down (I might reverse this sound)
  • holoemitter_emh
  • padd_2
  • transporter_beep
Please note that these will download as .MP3 files and you will need to convert them to .WAV files before adding them to your thumb-drive. Also, be sure the file size is < 1 MB.

Upvote 0