Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make plaid accelerate faster ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have acclimated to the 2021 model s plaid stock acceleration on the 21 inch wheels and now want more! What is the best bang for the buck? 19 inch stock wheels ? Any electrical updates to make faster? Any kit cars using the plaid components to save ~ 1,000 pounds of weight? Any aftermarket companies that specialize in making teslas accelerate faster? I don't yet want to remove the interior, but am curious of the results of those that have (there is a stipped tesla plaid channel on youtube). Thank you for your input! I really love that 0-60 launch!

Reactions: GSP
No there's no performance upgrades to be made outside of hardware via weight reduction. The plaid record is something like 8.83 1/4 mile. Start with light weight forged wheels and carbon ceramic brakes (unspring weight). That's about all you can do beside starting to gut the interior like the record setting car.

Definitely lighter wheels and brakes will help, but even with other weight savings like gutting the interior, you reach a point of diminishing returns because the acceleration is ultimately limited to tire grip. As soon as the car senses tire slip, it dials the power back a bit to prevent it, resulting in max acceleration for available traction. Track surface prep helps this, but the best way to beat the traction limiting effect would be something that provides forward thrust without spinning the wheels. The earlier poster joked about it, but SpaceX cold gas thrusters would work. That's why Elon wants to use them on the roadster. I also saw a video of someone who put gas turbines on the back of an older model s. They work great and he literally smoked someone who tried to roll coal on him.

I have acclimated to the 2021 model s plaid stock acceleration on the 21 inch wheels and now want more! What is the best bang for the buck? 19 inch stock wheels ? Any electrical updates to make faster? Any kit cars using the plaid components to save ~ 1,000 pounds of weight? Any aftermarket companies that specialize in making teslas accelerate faster? I don't yet want to remove the interior, but am curious of the results of those that have (there is a stipped tesla plaid channel on youtube). Thank you for your input! I really love that 0-60 launch!

If you're talking about building a kit car from a $130k car, I'm assuming you have a very large project budget. Contact @UnpluggedP and they can probably work with you. You could effectively remove the entire top of the car and weld a cage on it if you wanted to.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and Laddcruzer
MG- So probably 0-60 mph sprints the full torque is not available to the tires as they will spin regardless if 19 or 21 inch, but at higher speeds the higher polar moment of inertia of the 21 inchers reduce vehicle acceleration as compared to the 19 ers assume tires aren't slipping. So to improve acceleration has anyone devised a system to induce a vacuum on the underside of the plaid which by my calculations could possibly add 2,000 lbs of downforce to aid tire grip and thus acceleration making the full torque available from at least 0-60 sprints?

Sam- I built a factory five cobra kit car using a wrecked 5.0 mustang powertrain (to save money) as a base donor , and could probably do the same with a salvage title plaid. Thank you for Unplugged lead. I may end up designing something myself to shave 1,000 lbs and which with a molded body/vents allow a large vacuum under the car at times to aid traction during desired maximum accelerations in straights or turns... hold my can of beer and now watch this!

Sam- I built a factory five cobra kit car using a wrecked 5.0 mustang powertrain (to save money) as a base donor , and could probably do the same with a salvage title plaid. Thank you for Unplugged lead. I may end up designing something myself to shave 1,000 lbs and which with a molded body/vents allow a large vacuum under the car at times to aid traction during desired maximum accelerations in straights or turns... hold my can of beer and now watch this!

You're not going to be able to do much with changing the 'vacuum' under the car, considering it is nearly perfectly flat from the battery pack. I'd recommend you look up unplugged's plaid build, they've maxed pretty much everything out while still letting it be technically street legal.

You're not going to be able to do much with changing the 'vacuum' under the car, considering it is nearly perfectly flat from the battery pack. I'd recommend you look up unplugged's plaid build, they've maxed pretty much everything out while still letting it be technically street legal.
Here is another approach using vacuum to aid performance: T.50 | Gordon Murray Automotive I just need to decide i will engineer and improvement... and then get to task as there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket, yet!
Unplugged didn't turn a 1/4 any faster than a stock plaid and they don't offer the upgrades i am after (see 1/4 timeslip in video)
They offer forged wheels to save weight.

I wonder if there is a program update elon will offer for a fee to unlock more performance as he has done on the model 3...

You can make fan car from Plaid, make your own ECU and give it much more acceleration 0-60.

• Helpful
What performance are you getting now? You need to figure out if you are power or traction limited. My guess is that it is traction. You could try these:

The red plaid with no interior, mt slicks did 1.36 60ft, 5.67@126mph. so still room for improvement. :) author ran: Congrats on the 5.94 @121!! Most of gains from weight reduction???

seems the nitto drag radials had a slightly slower 1/8th mile time! Maybe because on 20 inch wheels?

Thanks! I am now on their waitlist for when selling the street legal version! Think it will be out before the Tesla Roadster?!!!
I can't imagine street legal fan car, tbh. All the pebbles flying up from it...

Also, I wouldn't want to drive one - large enough bump during high G turn and all the traction is gone.