Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to prioritize Powerwall recharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you set your configuration to Advance and Cost Savings, then this behavior may be correct as it's only going to try and charge the PW to eliminate peak pricing, and send back as much as it can. The goal of Cost Savings is to reduce your overall spend with your electrical provider and not necessarily get you off the grid.

Never had this problem... when the PW needs power it goes there first. Now, in my case it’s only the few top-off percent of daily or so ‘running usage’.

I would still think it would all go to the PW and not externally until you are back to full or at least the backup level.

Have you called Tesla Energy? Called the Tesla support number and picked Energy, I assume. Be interesting to see what they say.

I'm confused to why the GW is exporting 50% of my solar production when my PW is below the back-up threshold I have set (50%). Shouldn't all solar go to the PW, at least until the backup threshold is met?
As @zanary stated it could do this based on Cost Savings mode but it should not dip below your reserve.

Did you by chance just change the settings? Some users have stated it can take a few hours for new settings to take effect.

In my case I have mine set to 60% in Cost Savings and it never goes below that but it can sometimes continue to discharge even when the net cost is neutral.

I'm in self-powered myself. I'll try toggling around the settings and see if I can force something better.

Now that's weird. Self Power means that nearly all generation should be stored in the Powerwall, and only excess sent back to the grid...

Maybe a call into Tesla support to see what they can see would be a good start, because clearly the behavior of the gateway for the "Self Power" setting is not correct.

I'm confused to why the GW is exporting 50% of my solar production when my PW is below the back-up threshold I have set (50%). Shouldn't all solar go to the PW, at least until the backup threshold is met?
Show us the intraday chart with all 4 targets selected so we can see the power flows over time. I may not be understanding your situation correctly, but it's possible if you have two solar inverters that the Powerwall is only measuring one and the production from the other one is going to the grid.

Here's what it looks like. Home usage appears to go to zero when solar comes up (it should be around 0.4kW) and it starts exporting around 40% to grid rather than PW.
I'm on a single inverter system.
IMG_8019.PNG IMG_8020.PNG

Here's what it looks like. Home usage appears to go to zero when solar comes up (it should be around 0.4kW) and it starts exporting around 40% to grid rather than PW.
I'm on a single inverter system.
View attachment 520034 View attachment 520035
The Home quantity should never go to zero. That means that the system is misconfigured somehow. Show a chart like this one by pressing the charting icon at the upper right of the Power Flow screen.

2019-08-01.jpg

Spoke to Tesla support and they moved it to Tier 2 so said they need a part (?) and it'll take a week. While the Tesla app shows zero home consumption the GW internal web interface shows a negative draw from my home! I assume the Tesla app just zeros that and that's likely the reason for confusion and it pumping to the grid some load.