Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to put the maintenance panel back on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) The manual says to jump the 12V battery, there is a small round access port on the left side of the front bumper. No need to take out the maintenance panel. 2) I haven't tried to remove the MY maintenance panel, but whenever I removed the plastic engine compartment cover in my Lexus to get to the air filter I replaced the clips with new ones. Reusing the old ones doesn't work well. For the Lexus they cost $1.50 each. Perhaps new clips will solve your problem.

The round access port is to allow you to supply power to the system which will then unlock the frunk. After that you can access the battery to either jump or replace the 12v battery.

By the way. Here is what’s underneath the panel.

Attachments

• E2A7D2A5-F203-4CB4-A380-D319E5385F2E.jpeg
    E2A7D2A5-F203-4CB4-A380-D319E5385F2E.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 177
  • 01AD9832-1A37-49B3-AD73-2A6834AEEA5E.jpeg
    01AD9832-1A37-49B3-AD73-2A6834AEEA5E.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 137
I read all the replies and had already spent plenty of time trying by reaching under, trying front edge first, etc. Nothing seemed to work. Then I read about pushing back of frunk toward back of car and pushing down. Wow! In less than 10 seconds all 3 center clips in place as neat as can be. I pushed about 2 inches below top of frunk and approximately where I felt the clips were-the person who mentioned that is brilliant. THANKS!

Reactions: ArtK and na5m
It took me 20 minutes to get mine fastened correctly. I had to start with the clips closest to the storage area in the frunk, holding the back up slightly, and at the same time pushing from the inside of the frunk storage area to create upward stability of the point where the fasteners must click into place. All in all, it was a major PITA, and too much effort to secure. However, there was a marked difference in noise coming from the front of the vehicle on the highway and over bumps now that it is firmly attached all around. I did break one of the small black plastic side clips where the frunk storage black plastic cover and the maintenance cover meet, but it really didn't seem to have any effect on stability. Maybe my mobile service appointment next week will have one or can bring one with them?

I will want to take this back off when RPM or another aftermarket company makes a filter for the under-hood cabin air intake as they do for the M3, because I've seen the videos/pics where a ton of debris gets into this area. I can't believe there isn't at least a screen to stop leaves from going into this area.
This is exactly how you have to do it. Today is July 31 2022. I took my 2021 MY maintenance cover off to access the windshield cleaner sprayer. When I tried to reinstall the cover, some of the front facing connectors wouldn't grasp. But like this guy says, I figured out that if you shove rearward on the front tub whilst simultaneously firmly pressing down, the fasteners will engage. Not the best setup, indeed. Here is a pic of the fastener involved: BTW, does anyone now where to get spares of these types of fasteners??????
mainFast.jpg

Picked up my MY day after the snow storm. The SC where I picked up said they are checking the coolant as the car was showing message but no leaks. Driving home with snow on the sides and wanting to clean the windshield so turned on the wipers and tried to spray washer fluid. But no fluid. I thought maybe the lines froze as it was cold. Got home and opened Frunk to check the fluid level. The trim was coving almost half of the cover for the washer fluid tank and could not be opened. Had to remove the trim, took, my chances and carefully removed the trim and found the SC did not put any washer fluid in the car (brand new just picked up, and drove home) So I added the washer fluid. No big deal. Spent 30+ minutes trying to figure out why one side of the trim would go in and the other wouldn't as the trim holes didn't match the body holes therefore the trim was off centered and defective. Made a SC appointment and they changed the trim with a new one in spec...

So yes, you need to know how to remove/put back the trim for various reason.

Quality & consistence is not the first priority for Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ