Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to rationalize buying a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only rationalization is that you want the car and can afford it. Savings wise, you can buy a new Prius and have enough left for 30 years of fuel at $5/gallon, so the Model S obviously can't compete with a hybrid if your only rationalization is fuel savings.
True. But for me, your comparison is entirely inapt. I was never, ever going to drive a Prius. Since I've been able to afford it, I've driven cars that blend high performance and luxury. If your menu of acceptable vehicles consists of cars in the $65k and up range (or should I say, zero to 60 in under six seconds range), then my comparison makes more sense. If you're willing to drive anything, it doesn't; in that case, not even a Prius makes sense.

True, and shouldn't really need saying. If you are already in the luxury market, then the Model S makes perfect sense and may save you money. If you are just looking for a car to drive that gets good gas mileage for work and the occasional trip, not so much. Hopefully gen 3 will take care of that.

I think there are different motivations among different people.

I just hate gasoline with an overwhelming passion, and swear every time I have to go to the gas station. I've been saying "I want my electric car... they promised we would have electric cars" (visualize Avery Brooks in the IBM ads) for, actually, I believe it's 12 years now, and my family will be very happy to see me stop doing so.:wink:

That's enough motivation for me.

The Model S attracts a very diverse group of buyers. I've owned over 5 cars, all used. The aggregate purchase price of them all is < what I am paying for Model S. I would never have considered a high-end vehicle such as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. Probably would have gone with a used Volt, Prius or Ford Hybrid. The Model S speaks volumes. Hopefully, it will continue to do well and revolutionize the industry.

Today was a fine winter day here in coastal Massachusetts. I've had a busy and successful week so far, so I took the afternoon off to drive my beautiful Model S along the coast, enjoying the crisp winter light and brisk automotive performance. I didn't burn a drop of gas but instead enjoyed listening to Rubenstein play Chopin. That experience doesn't fit into a spreadsheet, but it's why I'm delighted to own a Model S.