Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to set Max Height of Falcon Wings in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I set my Falcon Wings to Auto. Every time I get home and park inside the garage the falcon wings does not open all the way up on both doors. I have about 3-4 feet spaces on the top. I force it to goes up all the way and hold it until it beep. But next time I open these wings again, it partially open again. Anyone know how to set to Max height on this home garage location all the times. I did not see any setting on the Quick setting to set the max falcon wings to this location at all. Is this feature been removed? How do I set manually so it will always open to the max height at my garage.

If I recall, I pushed and held the animated 'open' button on the Center Console display, and forced it to override ultrasonic indications of low clearance above. I also built a custom range-finder, attached to the back wall, that illuminates a bunch of LEDs when the car backs-in fully below the garage-door opener -- so I know that the car is in far enough.

For bonus points, I also programmed the range-finder to show the forecasted intensity of renewable energy on the grid for each of the next 3 nights. That way, we know if it even makes sense to charge on any given night (I'm trying to go on a low CO2 diet). Hmm, looks like Kansas is going to have low winds the next couple of nights.
Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 1.48.45 PM.png

Yes. I do not find this option. I have the latest software update but l am not able to find this selection on the center screen. Am l missing it? Does the car have to be on?
OK, here is probably the easiest way to do it. Assuming NOTHING is above the FWD as you say, open the FWD, and the car will appear showing the position of the door. Press and HOLD the button on the display for that door until it opens fully. Lastly, there will be a message on the display reading something like "Open fully at this location". Click that text to confirm. Next time you are at that location and open the FWD, it will open fully. BUT you better be sure nothing really is above it.

Reactions: KerryOH
My 6/2018 build also does not show this option anymore. I haven't seen it available in over 6 months over different software versions.
OK I am confused and maybe someone else knows. It is in my 3 year old model X and has been in every version of the firmware from delivery even up to 2019.12.1.1 Did you try my recommendation in the previous post?

Last edited:
I try it on the Center screen to move the FWD all the way up but nothing show up on the screen for me to set this height on this location. Is this option been removed for model X?
Maybe you missed my comment. I have a model X for 3 years now and it is still an ability to do that feature even with the most recent firmware, so I would say no, it has not been removed for the model X. And just to clarify, the text to "Always fully open at this location" will appear only AFTER you have completely raised the FWD all the way up. Try again. :)

I try again manually pressed the button to open FWD all the way up and when it stop I saw on the screen show object shadow near top. And there is not indicator for me to check "Always fully open at this location". Maybe I need this check by Tesla service.

I try again manually pressed the button to open FWD all the way up and when it stop I saw on the screen show object shadow near top. And there is not indicator for me to check "Always fully open at this location". Maybe I need this check by Tesla service.
Hmmm, yes, check with service. I am puzzled. I will try to take photo. I tried it again yesterday (with 2019.12.1.1) and it was still there.

FYI, here is what I see on the console. Note in the "before.jpg" that message appears and is highlighted only after the door is fully manually opened. Then you can click the blue text. After clicking it, you will always see the after.jpg even if the door is closed. It confirms that the door will open fully.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 341
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 339
Topic is almost a year old but my 2 weeks old X LR does now show the „save this FWD height at this location“ thingy either. In my garage, the ceiling is not quite high enough for the FWD‘s to open fully. So they always open up in „lame duck“ mode, I then force them open to say, 95% of full height (barely not touching the garage’s ceiling) but there is no way to save that. The manual says it should show the said button but nope. I use the FWD „auto“ setting and not the „low“ setting.

Maybe that button only appears after the doors forcefully opened to 100% and not 95% but I need to find a place where I can test that.
Does anyone know? I run the very last 2019 Firmware (2020.4.1 is not available for my car yet).

I need to find a place where I can test that.
If you are limited to 95% in a garage that has driveway outside, you can probably test just outside the garage. I can open one side fully with maybe an inch to spare in my garage, but I don't turn on that setting since the other side would hit the wall. However, this suggestion comes from the typical experience just outside my garage; the doors don't open fully until I press the button again (at which point they will open all the way), and the option to always open fully will appear there as well.

Alright I found a parking-garage with enough clearance to safely open the FWD's to 100%.
They opened in lame duck mode as usual, but I forced them both all the way open. Result: no button to save this location. There is absolutely NO danger to the car.

Tesla STOP REMOVING functionality from our cars gawdammit !

Attachments

• IMG_3626.jpg
    IMG_3626.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 263
Reactions: Elixir
If you are limited to 95% in a garage that has driveway outside, you can probably test just outside the garage. I can open one side fully with maybe an inch to spare in my garage, but I don't turn on that setting since the other side would hit the wall. However, this suggestion comes from the typical experience just outside my garage; the doors don't open fully until I press the button again (at which point they will open all the way), and the option to always open fully will appear there as well.

I was worried about the same thing. But tried it anyway, very carefully. Go just outside the garage open FWD FULLY, you may have to hold the up button on the pillar. Once fully up there should be a button to click that says open fully this location. Button won’t appear if it’s partially open. Then pull into garage, after closing doors ;). Now open again and they will not hit walls but will open further (less paranoid).

For rear gate do the same thing but lift the gate fully while outside garage. Hold button in on the close button on the gate until it screams. Then pull in and try it.

I think 99% of folks are restricted on opening fully on both sides in the garage.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I was worried about the same thing. But tried it anyway, very carefully. Go just outside the garage open FWD FULLY, you may have to hold the up button on the pillar. Once fully up there should be a button to click that says open fully this location. Button won’t appear if it’s partially open. Then pull into garage, after closing doors ;). Now open again and they will not hit walls but will open further (less paranoid).

For rear gate do the same thing but lift the gate fully while outside garage. Hold button in on the close button on the gate until it screams. Then pull in and try it.

I think 99% of folks are restricted on opening fully on both sides in the garage.
I actually had it on at one point and both doors still stopped well short of opening fully. I guess I was a bit terse in why it's off. The fact of the matter is that they both still stopped short of fully opening by design in spite of that setting, so there was no benefit, only potential additional risk of a door not stopping because of that setting where impact might be a result. I understand that impact is unlikely in my scenario unless a sensor fails, and in that scenario, impact may occur regardless of the setting, but since I don't know how the setting would interact with a failed sensor and I wasn't benefitting from the setting anyway, I don't have it on anymore.

Don't make the same mistake that I did a while back. So it's not that the driveway is long, but near the end of my driveway I did the FWD override so I was able to clean the inside and door jams. Then days later, I opened the doors in the garage and well, let's just say it was a very close call. So, the GPS marker must be set at a large radius.

Don't make the same mistake that I did a while back. So it's not that the driveway is long, but near the end of my driveway I did the FWD override so I was able to clean the inside and door jams. Then days later, I opened the doors in the garage and well, let's just say it was a very close call. So, the GPS marker must be set at a large radius.

4 out of 5 doors are at risk in my garage. I set every door to max just outside the garage door (well within and GPS radius, on purpose). It has not come close to hitting anything. It depended on sensors with or with out any overrides. It’s just a little less paranoid than it was. Now if you have a poll or beam or something you have to be really careful.

BTW, I have a tennis ball on a string centered on windshield so the car it parked consistently by me or my wife. I also put foam on the bottom of garage door tracks and added a couple rollers on garage door itself to help minimize damage due to mistakes or glitches. Also never use automated HomeLink.