Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use FSD/autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About using FSD at night, I went recently for a trip in Yellowstone National Park. On a particular day trip,
I went back and forth from the West Yellowstone, MT, Tesla Supercharger to the Jackson, WY Tesla Supercharger.
Each leg is about three hours of driving. I did the first leg on the east throug the Park during the day.

I did the return west leg on the rural area outside the Park, at night
and I really appreciated having FSD helping driving me back after an exhausting day.

One thing for sure is that the car is constantly aware of the posted speed limit,
as there are a lot some small towns were you need to reduce your speed,
And at night, it is not always easy to spot posted signs.

On a long stretch, it is very helpful to have FSD keeping the car well centered on your lane,
as FSD is very good a finding the painted lines on the road, while I was myself more or less
blinded by the vehicules coming from the other direction, so using FSD was very relaxing.

About looking ahead, well at night this is a little bit difficult, but having the map displayed next to your eyes
was very helpful for finding either if there will be a curve with a large radius that FSD will easilly handle,
or if there will be some more difficult curvy road sections, where you will need to preferably adjust the speed
manually to keep your ride smooth. Overall, using FSD at night was surprisingly very helpfull and relaxing.

Reactions: WADan
About using FSD at night, I went recently for a trip in Yellowstone National Park. On a particular day trip,
I went back and forth from the West Yellowstone, MT, Tesla Supercharger to the Jackson, WY Tesla Supercharger.
Each leg is about three hours of driving. I did the first leg on the east throug the Park during the day.

I did the return west leg on the rural area outside the Park, at night
and I really appreciated having FSD helping driving me back after an exhausting day.

One thing for sure is that the car is constantly aware of the posted speed limit,
as there are a lot some small towns were you need to reduce your speed,
And at night, it is not always easy to spot posted signs.

On a long stretch, it is very helpful to have FSD keeping the car well centered on your lane,
as FSD is very good a finding the painted lines on the road, while I was myself more or less
blinded by the vehicules coming from the other direction, so using FSD was very relaxing.

About looking ahead, well at night this is a little bit difficult, but having the map displayed next to your eyes
was very helpful for finding either if there will be a curve with a large radius that FSD will easilly handle,
or if there will be some more difficult curvy road sections, where you will need to preferably adjust the speed
manually to keep your ride smooth. Overall, using FSD at night was surprisingly very helpfull and relaxing.
Same question as to the previous post, do you have a radar or vision only system? By the way, regular GPS can show you the road shape.

Do you use autosteer at night?

As I hinted before that I use it every chance that I got so yes, I do use it at night. As a matter of fact, I even tested it by turning off my headlights while on AutoSteer to simulate emergency evacuation operation in a blinded scenario such as fog, smoke, or a spy movie... and the AutoSteer would immediately be self-disenaged but the TACC still works so I could manually steer in the dark and the car would follow the lead car without rear-ending it (smart cruise still work in the dark thanks to radar.)

Reactions: MY-user
I use FSD on long trips. Around town, phantom braking is an issue but you can learn where those spots are and avoid them. Plus the updates have improved/reduced them. On highways, while on a long trip, FSD is mostly great (98%)! Having it center you in the lane actually helps reduce the fatigue I feel after a long trip. However, you still have to handle the phantom braking, if it happens, and more importantly cars merging on the highway. However, I have mine setup in Mad Max mode, which is a bit misnamed. Should be something like Mild Max as it is very careful about changing lanes. It also tries very hard to return to the original lane, if there is a car behind you. If you don't notice the car merging in front of you, it will aggressively slow down. If I see the situation about to develop, I simply turn on the turn signal to indicate that I want to be in the other lane, and if clear, the car will slide over. I actually think that the current FSD is fairly safe. It does react with caution in unusual situations (safety first). Work zones, it can have issues with. If it can't see a lane marking on your left and right, it disengages and you have to be ready for that. I always take over at the start of the work zone. TACC usually works fine in work zones.

Reactions: WADan and MY-user
I use FSD on long trips. Around town, phantom braking is an issue but you can learn where those spots are and avoid them. Plus the updates have improved/reduced them. On highways, while on a long trip, FSD is mostly great (98%)! Having it center you in the lane actually helps reduce the fatigue I feel after a long trip. However, you still have to handle the phantom braking, if it happens, and more importantly cars merging on the highway. However, I have mine setup in Mad Max mode, which is a bit misnamed. Should be something like Mild Max as it is very careful about changing lanes. It also tries very hard to return to the original lane, if there is a car behind you. If you don't notice the car merging in front of you, it will aggressively slow down. If I see the situation about to develop, I simply turn on the turn signal to indicate that I want to be in the other lane, and if clear, the car will slide over. I actually think that the current FSD is fairly safe. It does react with caution in unusual situations (safety first). Work zones, it can have issues with. If it can't see a lane marking on your left and right, it disengages and you have to be ready for that. I always take over at the start of the work zone. TACC usually works fine in work zones.
Thank you for a good description of your experience. It looks like I'm going to be ready to get FSD in a year or so when street driving is more or less developed.

Even in work zones where there are clear lane lines, autosteer works very well. You just need to make sure the car slows down (by using the right scroll wheel).

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020