Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to validate Warranty information & options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: Is there a way I can validate the warranty status (as well as eligibility for warranty extension) and initial options purchased with a vehicle, through an official Tesla channel? Using VIN somehow?

Looking to buy a used S, non-CPO route. Some private party sellers and a lot of used car dealers seem to know very little about the cars, and in particular they just 'assume' that the vehicle has the factory bumper to bumper warranty, or is eligible for an extended warranty. This is a pretty hard criteria for me and it makes me uneasy getting shaky answers from sellers and dealers. Is there a way I can validate the warranty status and initial options purchased with a vehicle, through an official Tesla channel?

Also, if the warranty is on the VEHICLE, is it safe to assume that it will transfer to the next owner? Are there any situations where the warranty wont transfer?

Thanks in advance!

Factory warranty is for the vehicle and cannot be denied transfer to a new owner by law. So any used car within the 4 year/50k initial warranty window has that warranty without question.

Extended warranty (ESA) is a different story.

Read up here: Extended Service Agreement

A private party seller can transfer a warranty that THEY bought to you as part of the sale.

Sellers can NOT transfer an ESA to a dealer, so
any car you buy from a dealer most certainly does NOT have an ESA already.

The FAQ suggests Tesla will sell you an ESA as the new owner provided the car was not bought from a third party dealer (so private sale only).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vjacobs84
Appreciate the info.

If I'm understanding the language correctly, it sounds like buying from a 3rd party dealership at any point, voids the car from being eligible for an ESA?

So in the following case of, purchasing a vehicle from a 3rd party dealership, which is STILL under the original warranty, after I take ownership, I would NOT be eligible to purchase an ESA (even though I'm an individual non-dealer owner and the car is still under the factory warranty). This would suck greatly if this is the case

Appreciate the info.

If I'm understanding the language correctly, it sounds like buying from a 3rd party dealership at any point, voids the car from being eligible for an ESA?

So in the following case of, purchasing a vehicle from a 3rd party dealership, which is STILL under the original warranty, after I take ownership, I would NOT be eligible to purchase an ESA (even though I'm an individual non-dealer owner and the car is still under the factory warranty). This would suck greatly if this is the case

That is my understanding.

Tesla won’t talk to you as the prospective buyer, but you could call Tesla, or visit a service center together to confirm the cars status (assuming private 3rd party seller, I wouldn’t do that with a 3rd party dealer)

A Tesla can be designated as “not supported” for a few reasons, meaning no supercharging and very little dealer support. You want to avoid a car like that unless you are paying salvage price and expect to hack it.

When I bought my Tesla used from a private party, I wrote something about this into the sales agreement we both signed. Something to the effect of “...the car is “supported” by Tesla; it is covered by an existing warranty, is eligible for supercharging, and dealer support”.

Reactions: Boomski
Tesla won’t talk to you as the prospective buyer, but you could call Tesla, or visit a service center together to confirm the cars status (assuming private 3rd party seller, I wouldn’t do that with a 3rd party dealer)

A Tesla can be designated as “not supported” for a few reasons, meaning no supercharging and very little dealer support. You want to avoid a car like that unless you are paying salvage price and expect to hack it.

When I bought my Tesla used from a private party, I wrote something about this into the sales agreement we both signed. Something to the effect of “...the car is “supported” by Tesla; it is covered by an existing warranty, is eligible for supercharging, and dealer support”.
Hello, would you have a copy/template of the sales agreement please? would love to use it for my purchase. Thank you

Also, the 8-year warranty for the battery pack and drive units has changed slightly over the years. Here's the current warranty: Vehicle Warranty | Tesla Support

On older 85 models and a few others, it had unlimited miles (but still 8 years). It also did not have a warranty on degradation as it does now, only failure. That said, 70% degradation within 8 years was exceptionally rare.