TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How well does AP handle cross winds?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Sonny Daze, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

While heading down a cold windy highway last week with a tight grip on the steering wheel I was thinking (as I do quite often now) how would FSD handle this? So I was curious how well AP currently handles crosswinds at highway speeds.

2. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

I drive across bridges daily, so I frequently get hit with some pretty good crosswinds. AP handles it better than I would, which surprised me.

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Just as Autopilot can react to an obstacle in your path faster than your meager human reflexes could ever hope to match, so to does it handle crosswinds pushing it the car off track and the cessation of those crosswinds. Where a human driver would have to correct after realizing the push of the wind and then correct again after shooting over in the other direction after the wind stops, Autopilot (and, presumably, FSD) can make those corrections in real time.

• Like x 1
  4. Steve1081

Steve1081 Member

One of the times I have been uncomfortable with AP involved passing a semi where there were relatively high cross winds. The combo seemed to make the car really twitchy.

Just my .02...

5. FPLPowered

FPLPowered Member

I took mine out right after Hurricane Matthew passed Cape Canaveral on I-95 with 40-50 MPH crosswinds and doing 80 MPH and while it wasn't perfect, it never concerned me. Much better than I would have done. Also, I have put my kayak on top multiple times with crosswinds and I don't even notice that it is on there.