Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does AP handle cross winds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While heading down a cold windy highway last week with a tight grip on the steering wheel I was thinking (as I do quite often now) how would FSD handle this? So I was curious how well AP currently handles crosswinds at highway speeds.

While heading down a cold windy highway last week with a tight grip on the steering wheel I was thinking (as I do quite often now) how would FSD handle this? So I was curious how well AP currently handles crosswinds at highway speeds.
I drive across bridges daily, so I frequently get hit with some pretty good crosswinds. AP handles it better than I would, which surprised me.

Just as Autopilot can react to an obstacle in your path faster than your meager human reflexes could ever hope to match, so to does it handle crosswinds pushing it the car off track and the cessation of those crosswinds. Where a human driver would have to correct after realizing the push of the wind and then correct again after shooting over in the other direction after the wind stops, Autopilot (and, presumably, FSD) can make those corrections in real time.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
I took mine out right after Hurricane Matthew passed Cape Canaveral on I-95 with 40-50 MPH crosswinds and doing 80 MPH and while it wasn't perfect, it never concerned me. Much better than I would have done. Also, I have put my kayak on top multiple times with crosswinds and I don't even notice that it is on there.