TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HP V CP advice please

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by sam48, Jun 12, 2019.

1. sam48

sam48 Member

struggling to decide between contract and hire purchase.

If I go via HP I can get the 35k interest free loan. If I add another 10k to the deposit monthly cost comes in at around £1300. I work as a sole trader so would get roughly £400 a month as a tax break bringing cost to around £900. That would be my absolute limit. The advantage is that interest costs would be around 6k and at the end I would own the vehicle.

Contract purchase with a 10k deposit and the above tax break brings cost down to £720 a month. That feels like a more comfortable number but interest payments over the same 4 year period is 15k and there is a large balloon payment at the end.

Apart from monthly cost HP looks like a better option. Anyone’s advice of experience of either option would be early appreciated.

Cheers

2. Yev000

Yev000 Member

would help if you list which car you are looking at

3. pjuk

pjuk Member

Since you are based in Scotland can you not apply for this interest free loan for EVs?

Electric Vehicle Loan

4. sam48

sam48 Member

Performance model X. White, 7 seats. I wouldn’t go for FSD or ludicrous

5. sam48

sam48 Member

estimated cost is 96k. Estimated residual value 30k!

6. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

There are some really good 'deals' Tesla are pushing on inventory cars. Wouldnt surprise me if you can nab a LR X for under £70k brand new as end of Quarter approaches.

DON'T pay list price on a S/X at the moment.

7. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

It would be a no-brainer for me to take the interest free loan and HP. A saving of £9k on finance and the whole of the balloon payment makes it well worth an extra £180 per month along the way.

8. sam48

sam48 Member

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated