Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think it’s fair to suggest Tesla troubleshoot with you over the phone. Electricity is dangerous and faults can be deadly. Calling the electrician is the right call. Also, just because a power cycle got it working again doesn’t necessarily mean the fault is gone.

This was installed by a licensed electrician. How can you tell improper torgue from the picture, so that I might take this up with my electrician? Below is a picture before I splayed the wires for better viewing of the damage.
Thanks!

Can’t tell if it is 8 awg or 6 awg, but if it is 8 like i think it is, your output setting on the dipswitch is too high.

This is not a warranty item. The fail was due to the installation or one of the lugs not properly torqued/leads not properly terminated. Check for proper wire size also.

I agree.

It's pretty easy to screw up with these because you don't get to visibly confirm the wire is all the way through the lug when you crank it down.

Tesla still might honor replacing it even though I think it's install error too.

Just the fact one of the feed wires is cooked in a clear sign. And the lugs are plenty beefy and good quality. Just not easy to see what's going on.

Can’t tell if it is 8 awg or 6 awg, but if it is 8 like i think it is, your output setting on the dipswitch is too high.

What size breaker is on it? I'm not saying that is the cause, but that will likely tell you what size wire the electrician used.

It's easy to set the DIP incorrectly, Circuit Breaker Size vs Charging Amps (80% Circuit Breaker) by reading/using the wrong column.

Also if it was set wrong, the whole circuit was overloaded. Kind of a coincidence it decided to fail right at that lug.

What size breaker is on it? I'm not saying that is the cause, but that will likely tell you what size wire the electrician used.

It's easy to set the DIP incorrectly, Circuit Breaker Size vs Charging Amps (80% Circuit Breaker) by reading/using the wrong column.

Also if it was set wrong, the whole circuit was overloaded. Kind of a coincidence it decided to fail right at that lug.

fails at the weakest point.

Hey Everyone, I just joined the TMC and it's helpful to know that I am not the only one having issues with the HPWC and struggling with Tesla support. After a year of flawlessly charging my Model 3 at 44 mi/hr speeds, it just stopped one night. Apparently a box fire (see image) was the cause. I brought into my local dealership, and they directed me to onlinesales. It's been 2 weeks, 3 emails, and a phone call to Tesla Home Charging 888-765-2489 who informed that Support is busy and they would get to me soon (one week since that call).

I rely on a home charge for my driving usage patterns, so replacing this is a priority, and without knowing how Tesla will respond I am blocked on moving forward, and finding any written warranty info online is challenging. If they won't stand behind this product and I need to buy another one, I'll likely go for a universal charger with a published warranty (e.g. Juicebox 40).

I would greatly appreciate some help with any of these questions:
1) Has anyone had any luck with getting a HPWC replaced with just over a year since purchase?
2) Is there a better way to get through to an online support rep that can help? (someone mentioned chat, but I was unable to find this)
3) Where can I find a warranty for the HPWC?
4) Can you recommend any other high power charges for your Tesla?
Thanks!
-rob

View attachment 507931

I got a Juicebox and I love it. I didn't want a hard-wired Tesla setup. It doesn't look as fancy as the Tesla one, but it works perfectly and it's portable if needed. It can be easily plugged in and/or unplugged.

I would greatly appreciate some help with any of these questions:
1) Has anyone had any luck with getting a HPWC replaced with just over a year since purchase?
2) Is there a better way to get through to an online support rep that can help? (someone mentioned chat, but I was unable to find this)
3) Where can I find a warranty for the HPWC?
4) Can you recommend any other high power charges for your Tesla?
Thanks!
-rob

View attachment 507931
My first HPWC also generated excess heat at the service wire connector. In my opinion, this connector is the weak point of the HPWC design. Due to the design of the terminal block, it's hard to see if the wire is fully inserted, or correctly inserted (e.g. wire insulation is not clamped within the lug) The terminal block connector does not metallically encircle the conductor the way typical lugs in electrical service panels do, leading to a higher resistance connection. This is not critical at low currents, but can lead to significant connection heating at 30, 40, 50 A.
3) Warranty for HPWC is printed in the Wall Connector Installation Manual. You didn't throw that out did you?

Reactions: mswlogo and Rocky_H
The wire in red came loose or melted. It was likely nicked, loose, or not fully inserted. Or possibly undersized.

View attachment 507948

View attachment 507948
My first HPWC also generated excess heat at the service wire connector. In my opinion, this connector is the weak point of the HPWC design. Due to the design of the terminal block, it's hard to see if the wire is fully inserted, or correctly inserted (e.g. wire insulation is not clamped within the lug) The terminal block connector does not metallically encircle the conductor the way typical lugs in electrical service panels do, leading to a higher resistance connection. This is not critical at low currents, but can lead to significant connection heating at 30, 40, 50 A.
3) Warranty for HPWC is printed in the Wall Connector Installation Manual. You didn't throw that out did you?

Thanks for your reply. Here's the Gen2 HPWC installation guide which does not specify any warranty condiotions:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf
The Gen 3 warranty specifies a limited 1 year warranty however:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l-connector-installation-installation-a-b.pdf
From the diagram (pg 11), it appears that they corrected "terminal block connector does not metallically encircle the conductor".

After multiple attempts of reaching out with no response or even an auto-response email from support, I need to move forward and just purchase a new charger. At this point, the lack of any service response plus competing chargers offering 3 year warranties make this a no-brainer.

60amp

Reactions: mswlogo

Agreed and the Gen 3 Wall Connector is completely redesigned. But I think conductor is "metallically encircled", but it's just very hard to see/confirm it's nicely clamped. Also if you use the "riser" / "extension" you use their jumper wires from the back to the front, which have nice termination. But unless you route those wires perfectly one comes up short. I had to redo it several times to get them to reach and fully insert. The OP install here does not look like the riser was used (which is optional).

Agreed and the Gen 3 Wall Connector is completely redesigned. But I think conductor is "metallically encircled", but it's just very hard to see/confirm it's nicely clamped. Also if you use the "riser" / "extension" you use their jumper wires from the back to the front, which have nice termination. But unless you route those wires perfectly one comes up short. I had to redo it several times to get them to reach and fully insert. The OP install here does not look like the riser was used (which is optional).
I took a careful look at the terminal block after my first experience, and the wire connection is actually formed between two flat metal plates top and bottom of the captive wire, which are compressed by the terminal block screw. Definitely not "encircled" by metal, which would require metal on four sides, or a circular cavity into which the wire is terminated. I was not impressed with this terminal block for high current connections.

I did not use the "riser", and OP here did not either, as seen from his pics. The riser has square ferrules terminating the end of the highly stranded wires that are placed inside the HPWC terminal block.

I took a careful look at the terminal block after my first experience, and the wire connection is actually formed between two flat metal plates top and bottom of the captive wire, which are compressed by the terminal block screw. Definitely not "encircled" by metal, which would require metal on four sides, or a circular cavity into which the wire is terminated. I was not impressed with this terminal block for high current connections.

I did not use the "riser", and OP here did not either, as seen from his pics. The riser has square ferrules terminating the end of the highly stranded wires that are placed inside the HPWC terminal block.

I agree they are usually “cupped” and I didn’t notice they were flat, but I’ve seen flat ones before. It would be hard to come up with a cup size that works for such a wide range of wire sizes it supports. Even if cupped (and it would have to a shallow cup) it would still not contact much on the sides. Only way to get more contact would be a very narrow range of wire size. And have it confirm to that size.

Flat probably isn’t to bad with stranded wire as well. But wouldn’t be very good with solid.

I recall seeing some lugs for other applications where you had an assortment of “cups” flat on one side and cupped on the other that you pop in.

I did use the riser on every install so my terminations were all square (in that block). I thought you meant something was plastic in there or something.

Curious what the lugs look like in the riser now.

Faith restored!
I just got off of the phone with Tesla Home Charging who said they are replacing my Gen 2 HPWC with a Gen 3, and offering to reimburse installation costs as well (up to $250). The several week delay was a backup in the Online Orders department. The Home Charging department said the attached pictures were all they needed to authorize the replacement.

Reactions: Tessaract
I agree they are usually “cupped” and I didn’t notice they were flat, but I’ve seen flat ones before. It would be hard to come up with a cup size that works for such a wide range of wire sizes it supports. Even if cupped (and it would have to a shallow cup) it would still not contact much on the sides. Only way to get more contact would be a very narrow range of wire size. And have it confirm to that size.

Flat probably isn’t to bad with stranded wire as well. But wouldn’t be very good with solid.

I recall seeing some lugs for other applications where you had an assortment of “cups” flat on one side and cupped on the other that you pop in.

Circular lugs usually have a circularly-shaped hole in a block of aluminum, with a screw piercing at a right angle to the circular hole, and squeezing down into the wire. It has the advantage that the screw actually separates the strands and squeezes them against the circular wall of the aluminum block, thereby enlarging the contact area between wire and lug/screw, as well as increasing the local force on the wire strands, which also improves the contact area (because copper is somewhat malleable). A've attached a picture of an uncaptured lug from my electrical panel that's UL-rated for 00 to 4 AWG wire, a pretty wide range of wire size. Other similar lugs are rated for 6 to 14 AWG, also a pretty wide range of wire size. NeutralLug.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2843 copy.jpg
    IMG_2843 copy.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H