Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hub Centric Rings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Model 3 come with plastic rings around the center of the rotor, or did my winter tire installer add them?

Black plastic with grooves (I think I snapped it installing back my regular tires)

20190504_140127.jpg

The model 3 doesn't come with hub centric rings. Your installer added with with your winter set (which was the right thing to do.)

Looks like they forgot to remove the rings (sometimes they stay on the wheels as you take them off. Sometimes they stay on the hub.) when they put your stock wheels back on.

What are hub centric rings ?

For proper installation, wheels have a center hole that matches the hub that sticks out from the brake rotor. When mounting the wheel, you press the wheel onto the hub and line up the bolt holes, then install the bolts. Wheels made specifically for the car have center holes exactly the size of the hub so there is a very tight and precise fit.

Aftermarket wheels frequently are made to fit on a variety of vehicles with different size hubs. As a result, the wheels often need adapters that fit over hubs that are smaller than the corresponding hole in the wheel. The adapter is made to fit precisely over the hub and is made thick enough to fit precisely in the hole in the wheel.

Hub centric means fitting precisely on the hub.

• Informative
Reactions: M109Rider