Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Service install non standard tire sizes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's coming up on winter and the summer tires for my M3P won't cut it in my area so I grabbed a good deal on a set of all seasons in 245/35ZR20 XL. The problem I'm having is nobody will install them for me. Seems all the tire shops around me are too afraid to install tesla tires, or say their machine can't handle that tire, or they can't jack the car even with me supplying the pucks.

Ive been following this forum for a while so I know the tires will fit but as I'm running out of options, does anyone know if Tesla Service will install them since the the standard size is supposed to be 235/35R20?

If you've done your research and are sure that the tires will have clearance, won't rub, etc. then depending on how many jacks you have, jack the car up and take a couple of wheels/tires in and have the swap made at the tire store off the car. Come back and put those two on and take off the other two and do the same thing. I did that once with 2 used almost new tires I got from a friend and the tire shop swapped them and balanced them for $20 per wheel...

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
If you've done your research and are sure that the tires will have clearance, won't rub, etc. then depending on how many jacks you have, jack the car up and take a couple of wheels/tires in and have the swap made at the tire store off the car. Come back and put those two on and take off the other two and do the same thing. I did that once with 2 used almost new tires I got from a friend and the tire shop swapped them and balanced them for $20 per wheel...
I mentioned this to the last place I tried and they said they would do that but I was hoping to avoid all that hassle if possible. I didn't want to put a ticket in with Tesla Service yet without hearing if anyone has tried this OP scenario with any success. It just amazes and frustrates me these places turning down business out of unfounded fear.

It may be a little extra hassle, but if a tire place is unsure about working on Teslas, then you probably don't want them doing it. They could damage the battery if they lift it incorrectly. If they are saying a 20" wheel won't fit their machine (when other cars have larger wheels), then you probably don't want them working on your car...

If you look on the Tirerack.com website, who do they deal with in your area to install tires? Go to that shop...

I have non-standard size tires (245/40/19) and as long as the tires equaled for exceeded load rating as original and fit they were OK to install. I used the Tire Size Calculator to compare factory sizing to what I wanted to check if enough to cause clearance issues. Did the same thing with MY using 265/40/20. Use the tool to compare width and height difference.

I have non-standard size tires (245/40/19) and as long as the tires equaled for exceeded load rating as original and fit they were OK to install. I used the Tire Size Calculator to compare factory sizing to what I wanted to check if enough to cause clearance issues. Did the same thing with MY using 265/40/20. Use the tool to compare width and height difference.
You did through Tesla Service?

It may be a little extra hassle, but if a tire place is unsure about working on Teslas, then you probably don't want them doing it. They could damage the battery if they lift it incorrectly. If they are saying a 20" wheel won't fit their machine (when other cars have larger wheels), then you probably don't want them working on your car...

If you look on the Tirerack.com website, who do they deal with in your area to install tires? Go to that shop...
That's the thing, I used one of their recommended installers. Had them shipped there and made the appointment. When I arrived they said it showed a BMW in their system lol. At least they were honest with me saying they couldn't do it vs trying and messing up my rims and they let me take my tires with me.

So it's coming up on winter and the summer tires for my M3P won't cut it in my area so I grabbed a good deal on a set of all seasons in 245/35ZR20 XL.

First of all, your tires will fit just fine, nothing to worry about from fitment/performance perspective.
In fact, I'm running 245mm wide winters, though in 245/45R18 size (I bought a set of winter 18" wheels to make swaps easier, and tires cheaper).

The problem I'm having is nobody will install them for me.

Try one of these shops (type in your zip):

Seems all the tire shops around me are too afraid to install tesla tires, or say their machine can't handle that tire, or they can't jack the car even with me supplying the pucks.

Two competent high-end shops in my area refuse to deal with tesla OWNERS, not the cars. Sadly, I can't blame them.
Both display hysterical reviews on Google Maps / yelp from Tesla owners bitching about having their cars lifted without pucks, or by jacks, or for some other comically irrelevant reason. Basically, they don't want to deal with an average Tesla nut.

So, I bring a set of wheels and tires separated from they car, and have them install them and bring the wheels home to throw on the car in my garage.
I could go to Firestone, which will be happy to screw up any wheel for any car, but would rather deal with competent tire shops instead. Unfortunately, doing so requires some subterfuge. I wish it didn't, but a few rotten Tesla owners have spiked the punch bowl for the rest of us.

Ive been following this forum for a while so I know the tires will fit but as I'm running out of options, does anyone know if Tesla Service will install them since the the standard size is supposed to be 235/35R20?

In my area, the answer is "no".
Nor would I trust a Tesla SC (or any OEM dealer, for that matter) to install and balance the tires competently. Even if I was willing to be over-charged.

Good luck,
a

In the past I’ve gone the route of removing all wheels, and taking them in another vehicle to have new ties installed. I find it avoids a lot of hassle, upsells, pushing alignments, telling you “we found this wrong on your car,” etc from these tire places.

I appreciate all the input everyone! I'll grab another set of jackstands so I can just take care of it in the future myself.

In the mean time I had a local Tire Discounters tell me they could do it. I showed up this morning and explained what I wanted and my questions to them were answered with no hesitation and they had their own Tesla pucks for their lift without having to borrow mine. They did a fantastic job with not a single scratch. They definitely have experience with Teslas at least at the one I went to.

Oh and btw the 245 tires look great on the uberturbines. Seems like they should come factory with at least that if not even wider since there is still a slight curve on the sidewalls, just less pronounced than the 235. 1% difference in speed is negligible.