Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Hilary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to @power.saver for linking me to these threads. I wanted to post a link here to the process of jump starting your powerwalls, just in case anyone needs it:

A good description from @tmpope is here.

The Tesla video of the procedure is here.

The information from the first link is:

I'm a layperson and using this and another TMC thread I was able to jump my powerwall today.
The first 12v powerbank I tried wasn't able to jump it - it just turned off when I connected it. I eventually tried with a more powerful power station that had a 12v cigarette lighter and it started right up.
Circumstance:
Powerwalls fully charged but offline, medium sun, grid outage
Steps:
1. Ensure powerwall switch is on
2. Remove cover from gateway
3. Instal wires into jump pins on gateway
4. Touch wires to 12v power source
5. See lights go on in the gateway
6. Wait about 5 minutes, powerwall backup resumed

The second link that @power.saver shared is a youtube video showing that includes this jump starting process. This is the video I remembered making the rounds previously.

Thanks again @power.saver for re surfacing these for me to link here.

• Helpful
Reactions: power.saver
Just a reminder of how intense rain can generate large debris flows;
news article from the Elizabeth Lake /Lake Huges area from 2015, when 1.45" of rain fell. The forecast from Hillary is 2-10", depending on the location.

Debris flows have unusual flow characteristics, and can be quite fast, which means that they can carry enormous amounts of material, since the rock/debris transport ability goes up at something like the velocity to the sixth power (not exact, and under debate, but close enough).

Joh McPhee wrote an interesting book, entitled "On the Control of Nature", in which one of the three essays covers debris flows out of the San Gabriels.

Stay safe!

All the best,

BG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
My wife and I are just finishing up preparations:

IMG_0564.jpg

(little attempt to lighten the mood... although we are actually snacking on that stuff right now, lol stay safe everyone!)

Reactions: BGbreeder
My wife and I are just finishing up preparations:

View attachment 966650

(little attempt to lighten the mood... although we are actually snacking on that stuff right now, lol stay safe everyone!)
Nice. You too.

BTW, which part of Riverside County do you reside in? If you are in desert region east of the mountains, that is the area of most concern. Some of those areas can get over 12 inches of rain. The coastal side of the mountains won't be as bad (the opposite of winter storms); only expecting 2 to 5 inches.

I'm on the eastern edge of LA County near the only spot where Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, and Orange County meet. We are expecting 3-4 inches here.

Just make sure you have gas if you have a generator. Was in Florida in 2005 when we had three hurricanes back to back. Lost power for 3 weeks at a time, got it back for a little while and then lost it for another 2 weeks. Now all of our gas stations have backup power.
This will be a true test of the supercharging network, if millions are to evacuate, the regular lines for gas cars will be three and four hours and then stations will run out and not get anything for a week. Don't know how long the wait will be at superchargers if the same situation comes up. Just make sure your cars are charged up all the way, since you can run the air conditioner on them in the event the power at your home goes out.
It's times like this I wish that Tesla would let us connect our cars to power our homes like Ford does with their F-150s
Hurricane Ida. The hit on the grid took out hundreds of thousands of customers. If the track had turned west only 10 or 20 miles I would have been in it. Meanwhile just across the Mississippi River people were firing up their generators to keep cool and run their fridges. This drives up fuel consumption at a massive rate. One station owner stated he gets a load of fuel and it lasts three to four days. During the peak of the outage a load of fuel was lasting three to four HOURS. The refineries couldn't keep up and fuel had to be trucked in from out of state.

In my case I have a 22kw natural gas generator. Just to run a Tesla wall charger will take up half of the capacity. Could do it if I have to. It's going to cost me around $100 USD a day to run the generator at half load. Maybe a travel charger as a backup in this case?

Just checking in on the rest of you here in our little niche community that might have been impacted by this. How is everyone doing?

For me (here in Temecula), other than the rain being warm (and we dont normally get "warm" rain) I had no damage at my house at all, and really no indication that this was anything other than a regular rainstorm. No thunderstorm, no lightning, and we didnt feel the earthquake people are talking about either.

One of my AC units stopped functioning this weekend, which frankly has been more impactful than the storm for me (which, TBH is a good thing).

Just checking in on the rest of you.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Just checking in on the rest of you here in our little niche community that might have been impacted by this. How is everyone doing?

For me (here in Temecula), other than the rain being warm (and we dont normally get "warm" rain) I had no damage at my house at all, and really no indication that this was anything other than a regular rainstorm. No thunderstorm, no lightning, and we didnt feel the earthquake people are talking about either.

One of my AC units stopped functioning this weekend, which frankly has been more impactful than the storm for me (which, TBH is a good thing).

Just checking in on the rest of you.
Yep, for the media saying you guys were going to be destroyed, I sure am not seeing this based on folks I am talking with or articles I am reading.

2.96 inches at my place. We have received more during many winter storms. In fact there was at least 5 times we had winter storms drop over 3 inches at my place last winter alone. But we did have a lot of wind Sunday night as the center of the low passed over.

Like I stated earlier, the concern was always the desert areas east of the mountains, not the coastal side of the mountains. The desert areas, which receive anywhere between 1/2 to 1/4 the annual precip as the coastal side ended up getting a lot more rain out of this storm than the coastal side. Some getting more than their annual precip in one day.

On a side note, this storm did now bring our calendar year precip to over 30 inches at my place, and we still have November and December (the beginning of our rainy season) to add more to the calendar year

• Informative
Reactions: power.saver
Weather forecasting always has to report the worst case scenario. Especially for hundred year events. No surprise.

The worst weather for hurricanes and tropical storms traveling north is the northeast quadrant. I live near the coast in San Diego, and the storm went 30-40 miles east of us (northwest, then southwest quadrants), so wind was strong, but not devastating. We got 2.5 inches of rain spread over a day and a half.

2.96 inches at my place. We have received more during many winter storms. In fact there was at least 5 times we had winter storms drop over 3 inches at my place last winter alone. But we did have a lot of wind Sunday night as the center of the low passed over.

Like I stated earlier, the concern was always the desert areas east of the mountains, not the coastal side of the mountains. The desert areas, which receive anywhere between 1/2 to 1/4 the annual precip as the coastal side ended up getting a lot more rain out of this storm than the coastal side. Some getting more than their annual precip in one day.

On a side note, this storm did now bring our calendar year precip to over 30 inches at my place, and we still have November and December (the beginning of our rainy season) to add more to the calendar year
With that said. For August, this is a lot of rain. Because it literally doesn't rain here in August. For December through March, this is a typical larger winter storm, minus all the snow in the mountains