Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Season - Evacuating - Take the Tesla or ICE Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's that time of year again in Florida where watching hurricanes is a weekly event. When we evacuated for Irma, getting gas was a real problem. We had to go from the South end of the state to the panhandle and there were times where we weren't sure if we were going to be able to get enough gas to make it the next few miles or back home. With now having the Model Y, I wonder what that evacuation would have been like. Power outages are obviously an issue, but if given the choice, would you take the electric or gas car. Obviously the evacuation route may dictate this, but did any of you experience this with Irma or any other evacuation and how was it with charging?

unless you are actively driving in a hurricane, I would think that during the evacuation the power will be on most anywhere thus allowing you to recharge along the way to safety. As for returning home after the hurricane, if the power is off, you wouldn't be able to pump gas anyway or recharge, so I would assume staying putt at your safe destination is the answer for any vehicle until the power comes back on

unless you are actively driving in a hurricane, I would think that during the evacuation the power will be on most anywhere thus allowing you to recharge along the way to safety. As for returning home after the hurricane, if the power is off, you wouldn't be able to pump gas anyway or recharge, so I would assume staying putt at your safe destination is the answer for any vehicle until the power comes back on

The OP is in Florida. Florida mandates all gas stations constructed after 2006 have the ability to operate with alternate power sources (generators) and that all gas stations (along evacuation routes) also have that capability. So - if hte power is out - you are more likely to have access to gas than to electricity to recharge.

See Florida Statute 526.143 Alternate generated power capacity for motor fuel dispensing facilities. - here: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

I'd rather not have to deal with it - but think I'd have both cars "full" and then make the decision when the evacuation order is issued.

I am in Florida too and I'll go with ICE for sure. One of our PHEV cars will easily go 500 miles on gas alone and close to 600 if we drive under 60 mph. I am sure all the superchargers would be packed and I can gas that car up and in 10 min and be on my way. The 500 miles should easily get us out of the range of most hurricanes if we drive the most direct route to escape.

I am also very thankful we aren't way down the peninsula like in Miami or Ft Myers. We have a lot of escape routes we were are at.

Reactions: NotThatChewie
I am in Florida too and I'll go with ICE for sure. One of our PHEV cars will easily go 500 miles on gas alone and close to 600 if we drive under 60 mph. I am sure all the superchargers would be packed and I can gas that car up and in 10 min and be on my way. The 500 miles should easily get us out of the range of most hurricanes if we drive the most direct route to escape.

I am also very thankful we aren't way down the peninsula like in Miami or Ft Myers. We have a lot of escape routes we were are at.
We are South of Ft. Myers so only 2 ways out. Go north on 75 or East to Miami, depending on which way the storm is heading. I agree with going with the gas car the more I think about it, but I remember that Tesla did a release to increase range on cars when Irma hit. Just wondered if anyone had experienced that and did evacuate with a Tesla.

Reactions: Gadget63
The OP is in Florida. Florida mandates all gas stations constructed after 2006 have the ability to operate with alternate power sources (generators) and that all gas stations (along evacuation routes) also have that capability. So - if hte power is out - you are more likely to have access to gas than to electricity to recharge.

See Florida Statute 526.143 Alternate generated power capacity for motor fuel dispensing facilities. - here: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

I'd rather not have to deal with it - but think I'd have both cars "full" and then make the decision when the evacuation order is issued.
If you're a Floridian, you know that the gas station having power isn't the issue. It's all the idiots (typically snowbirds) stocking up and panicking the day before depleting the gas stations of fuel. After a hurricane it can take 2-3 days to get trucks into the stations for refueling, depending how affected the area was. Most gas station owners are kind of dicks, they more than likely won't let you charge there.

Unless your on the coastline or in a trailer park, it's rare to see an evacuation order. When I say coastline, I've always lived 5-10min from the coast, never received an evacuation order in nearly 40 yrs.

We are South of Ft. Myers so only 2 ways out. Go north on 75 or East to Miami, depending on which way the storm is heading. I agree with going with the gas car the more I think about it, but I remember that Tesla did a release to increase range on cars when Irma hit. Just wondered if anyone had experienced that and did evacuate with a Tesla.
Just head to Tampa, due to the bay, it's basically a nice little bubble that never really sees that much damage. Fairly short drive from Ft. Myers, I just wouldn't take the Skyway 😉

Reactions: NotThatChewie
I don't have a gas car anymore.. We have 3 EV's, 2 long range and 1 short range..
I would certainly take the MY.. Power outages don't usually happen before the storm when people are evacuating. I'd charge to 100% and drive with the AC off at moderate speed like 60 - 65 mph to make sure that I can make it as far as possible in case of long lines at charging stations.. I always carry the Chademo adapter so I don't have to rely on Superchargers only. I have no worries taking the MY in case of an evacuation.. I'm in Central Florida and can easily make it all the way to Georgia on a 100% charge if needed.. Tifton or maybe Savannah if I'd drive 60 mph without AC.
I'm very Central and Hurricanes come here, they already lost steam. Irmaa hit my house at CAT 2.. No damage..

Last edited:
I don't have a gas car anymore.. We have 3 EV's, 2 long range and 1 short range..
I would certainly take the MY.. Power outages don't usually happen before the storm when people are evacuating. I'd charge to 100% and drive with the AC off at moderate speed like 60 - 65 mph to make sure that I can make it as far as possible in case of long lines at charging stations.. I always carry the Chademo adapter so I don't have to rely on Superchargers only. I have no worries taking the MY in case of an evacuation.. I'm in Central Florida and can easily make it all the way to Georgia on a 100% charge if needed.. Tifton or maybe Savannah if I'd drive 60 mph without AC.
I'm very Central and Hurricanes come here, they already lost steam. Irmaa hit my house at CAT 2.. No damage..
I am pondering the same thing. Soon to be Tesla MX owner and live in the Florida Keys. During Irma we evacuated in our Tahoe. We were able to get gas even with long lines. Our first stop was Orlando at a campground, we rented a cabin. They had 50 amp power hookups. We then had to head further north to Ocala where the power went out for weeks after the storm in the area we were staying. A ton of huge trees came down on power lines. We then headed back to the campground in Orlando where they had power and waited until we could return to the Keys. Power came back on there the day we arrived home. I think we would have been OK in an EV, however, I don’t have any experience with charging stations before and after a storm. Gas was in short supply for a while. Were folks able to charge their EVs before and after the storm?

We only have 2 EVs now in Houston. During the Texas February power outages the gas stations around us were all shut down. I'm not sure if this was due to no back up power, no employees or no gas left to sell...

I am pondering the same thing. Soon to be Tesla MX owner and live in the Florida Keys. During Irma we evacuated in our Tahoe. We were able to get gas even with long lines. Our first stop was Orlando at a campground, we rented a cabin. They had 50 amp power hookups. We then had to head further north to Ocala where the power went out for weeks after the storm in the area we were staying. A ton of huge trees came down on power lines. We then headed back to the campground in Orlando where they had power and waited until we could return to the Keys. Power came back on there the day we arrived home. I think we would have been OK in an EV, however, I don’t have any experience with charging stations before and after a storm. Gas was in short supply for a while. Were folks able to charge their EVs before and after the storm?
I have been living in Florida since 1997 and lived all over the state, including Miami Beach, Sunrise, Clearwater Beach, Clearwater, Largo and Lakeland and I can't recall any power outages BEFORE a storm, just during and after.
I do have the Chademo adapter which doubles my charging options.. No worries about doing anything with our MY that we did with ICE. If power goes down, usually gas stations are down also..

Reactions: Gadget63