Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC Recirculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each time I start my MY, I have to press the button to recirculate the a/c. Is there any way to make that the default setting? I live in Florida and my a/c is on pretty much anytime I am in the car. I don't like the ICE fumes that get sucked into the vents and there is nothing I can find in the manual that addresses it..
Any suggestions?

So not sure if this is true or not...

But I've heard that the recirculation of the air is not enabled on any cars by default. Due to the off gassing of cars of the interior they make the cars start by bringing in the outside air for fresh air. Then you can choose to recirculate it yourself. Not sure I fully believe this but it makes some sense.

My thought:

Could also be due to hot climates where you don't want to get in the car, start the ac in recirculate mode and circulate the insanely hot interior air only (assuming you didn't pre cool the car), the ac will work that much harder.

But I've heard that the recirculation of the air is not enabled on any cars by default. Due to the off gassing of cars of the interior they make the cars start by bringing in the outside air for fresh air. Then you can choose to recirculate it yourself. Not sure I fully believe this but it makes some sense.

My thought:

Could also be due to hot climates where you don't want to get in the car, start the ac in recirculate mode and circulate the insanely hot interior air only (assuming you didn't pre cool the car), the ac will work that much harder.

Earlier today, I went out to my Y to verify. It was not pre-cooled, but was temp-protect at 100F, I immediately opened the climate page and it showed "recirc" enabled.

I set to recirculate as default about a month ago on a hot day when outside temp was near 100F, and going to recirc immediately improved the temp of the air by several degrees. Makes sense if it is not cooling 100F air but recirculating ~80F air to cool to 70F.

Earlier today, I went out to my Y to verify. It was not pre-cooled, but was temp-protect at 100F, I immediately opened the climate page and it showed "recirc" enabled.

I set to recirculate as default about a month ago on a hot day when outside temp was near 100F, and going to recirc immediately improved the temp of the air by several degrees. Makes sense if it is not cooling 100F air but recirculating ~80F air to cool to 70F.

Ah I always keep mine on auto so maybe that's part of it.

Yeah I think once the air inside is lower than outside the recirculation setting would be more efficient.

My thought:

Not so unless that is brand new. I have a couple years old Subaru Outback and it really annoys me. Putting HVAC on auto always turns on recirc and I have to turn it off. My preference is for recirc to be normally off so I'm happy to hear this. Hopefully it stays that way until some day in the far flung future my Y shows up<g>.

Not so unless that is brand new. I have a couple years old Subaru Outback and it really annoys me. Putting HVAC on auto always turns on recirc and I have to turn it off. My preference is for recirc to be normally off so I'm happy to hear this. Hopefully it stays that way until some day in the far flung future my Y shows up<g>.

Every car I've ever been in or owned the recirculation is off by default. Never drove a Subaru though

Every car I've ever been in or owned the recirculation is off by default. Never drove a Subaru though

Just did it a couple hours ago. Was driving earlier with no ac. On the way home, it's now hotter so the easiest thing to do is hit the 'full' button as it's closer and significantly larger. You can't miss recirc going on because it's the only button in the area that lights when on (ex. the ac it self shows up on the temp display).

This was my first subaru. Interesting car that had a number of 'quirks' that were different from the Toyotas and Nissans I've driven for the last couple decades. Ex. windows only go up/down with the key 'on'. Every other car going back 30 years or so that had electric windows would work in the "ACC" position. If you use the remote to lock the door, then use the key to open it, the alarm goes off. Can't exactly remember this one, but I think it was if you lock with key, it only locks the driver's door and not all 4 doors. Has NO inside hatch release. You have to get out and release from the back.

Reactions: Young Phenom