Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto defogging windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's just me, but I definitely remember a time in my childhood when the solution to fogged up windshields was to roll down the windows. After some shivering by the passengers, the windshield would defog. Did everyone do this, or was this a "frugal" solution?
Putting the windows down keeps things from getting WORSE from a bunch of warm humans piling into a cold car and exhaling hot humid breath in a closed space, but has no particular effect on actually defogging the windows.

Once the cabin heats up enough to raise the dewpoint your breathing isn’t as much of a problem so you can put the windows back up.

Interestingly, I've recently gotten a 2023 M3 as a trade-in for a 2018 M3. Being the whacko I am, I've been Reading the Manual.

So, the defogger/defroster on this car has three, count them, three! settings.

Off.

Defog.

Defrost.

Off is colorless; defog lights the indicator green; defrost lights the indicator red. Hitting it again goes back to colorless.

Is this standard for all Teslas, or just the ones with a heat pump?

This has been the case since the 2012 Model S. The icon colors are blue and red.