Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW1 - no cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2013.
Nov 12, 2014
Mentor, Ohio
That radar seems to just collect snow...
IMG_20170129_083127.jpg

That's why they moved the radar behind the fascia on X and facelift S...

On a side note: Through testing I've found out that the heater element ("radome heating") in the Bosch fwd radar that you've depicted here, turns on automatically when the temperature drops below 4 or 5°C (39 or 41°F). The radar actually gets pretty hot, you'll be able to feel it with your hand.

Just a shame the heater only melts like a millimeter of snow/ice. The rest of the build up you'll have to remove manually :(

I had this exact problem yesterday with the heavy, sticky snow that was falling. I stopped and cleared it, and the helped for a whopping five minutes or so. I kind of wished the "smart" (Traffic Aware) cruise control would fall back to "dumb" (Traffic Oblivious) when it can't be smart.
And, boy, if you're using AutoPilot when this happens the car really goes crazy, beeping frantically and flashing red warnings.

A possibly related issue: later in the day after the snow stopped I was driving along on the interstate with no cars in front of me, using AP(1), and all of a sudden a truck showed up on the autopilot display (but not in reality) and the car braked fairly hard. After a moment it went away and the car resumed its cruise speed. A few minutes later this happened again. I'm wondering whether this might be some (really annoying) artifact caused by residual ice or snow in and around the front radar?