Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 lagging behind in software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As discussed in this thread: Not seeing Sentry Mode

Looks like people who have taken delivery in the last few weeks have maxed out at 2019.7.105. We're missing the unconfirmed lane change, Sentry mode, and bunch of AP fixes.

Could we find a way to track HW3 people on HW3 and when they get a SW update? The API still seems to report APH3 (Which is gen 2.5 HW) in the option_codes for my vehicle, so not sure we've got a good way to know for sure if we're on HW3. I took delivery of mine on 4/18/19, so it should be HW3.

If this is the case then I bet it's even more likely that Tesla replaces HW2.5 with expediency. If there's one thing in life that sucks it's running two parallel systems and bug fixing two parallel systems while working on an advance path that eclipses the older system. So, there will likely be a lag where HW3 isn't as good, but then eclipses 2.5 whereby 2.5 will be the laggard until Tesla does the upgrade.

TLDR: HW3 will lag in the next several months, it then eclipses 2.5, then 2.5 lags until Tesla can afford to upgrade 2.5

Remember that HW3 still provides the control for AutoPilot. There are plenty of owners who have HW 2.5 with AP but not FSD and do not plan on purchasing FSD so therefore will not be receiving HW3. So any further development has to work on both platforms, at least as it relates to the AP functionality.

Reactions: dloop
Remember that HW3 still provides the control for AutoPilot. There are plenty of owners who have HW 2.5 with AP but not FSD and do not plan on purchasing FSD so therefore will not be receiving HW3. So any further development has to work on both platforms, at least as it relates to the AP functionality.

Tesla doesn't have to update anything for auto pilot or advance that feature on older cars. They may want to for various reasons, but there is no requirement. Think of all the other electronics you buy where a more advanced model comes out that has features older hardware could support. When push comes to shove, I'd place a bet on older hardware being updated slower, less frequently, and eventually not at all except for critical flaws rather than just making performance improve from acceptable to great.