Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All! I have been trying to find a clear answer on this but I can't! Probably because Tesla has so many versions and has changed so many things for so many prices haha. When I take my car in for the MCU2 upgrade next week do I get any HW upgrade? I know I am forever stuck with AP1. I wasn't sure if I even understand the relationship between the MCU2 upgrade and any (if there is) corresponding HW upgrade. Can someone break this down baby style? I have a 2016 P100DL with an 8/2016 manufacture date. As I said, I have AP1 but am getting the MCU2 upgrade next week. Do I get an HW upgrade with that? Do you all know what version it would be? Or is AP1 the same meaning as HW1? Is it part of the MCU2 price or separate? If it means anything, under "specs" I have "Autopilot with Convenience Features". A walkthrough would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
In terms of what hardware will be changed when you do the MCU1 to MCU2 update, they will:
  • Replace the physical MCU, so the processor that runs all the media interface/controls that drive the main screen and instrument panel, browser, climate control, etc. But this does not touch autopilot in any way as stated above
  • Replace the center main screen
  • Replace the screen for the instrument panel
  • Remove the AM/FM/XM radio tuner - the original radio tuner is not compatible with the new MCU
  • If selected as an addition upgrade item, install a new digital FM/XM radio tuner ... note there is NO option for AM with MCU2.
Hopefully you will see that all of your profiles will be carried over, although depending on how long the hold the car, some of these may need to download from cloud after you pick-up the car.

From my experience, any Homelink devices that you may have programed (like garage doors) will not get carried over and you will need to reprogram the homelink unit.

Note that there is a slight difference in the reset functionality for the screens. Currently your car with AP1 has two different resets ... pressing the scroll wheels resets the main center display. To reset the instrument panel you need to do a separate reset using the two buttons above the scroll wheels. After the MCU2 upfit there will be just a single scroll wheel reset and this will reset both screens at the same time. Reason for this is that the instrument panel is now just a slave display off the the main MCU processor, and not it's own independent processor as with MCU1.

One tip ... make sure before you leave the service center than you can not only connect to your car with the app, but lock/unlock/start climate control via the app. Some have had problems where the service center forgets a step to fully enable app capability, or for some reason it doesn't take the first time.

Hope you continue to enjoy your (new to you) car.

In terms of what hardware will be changed when you do the MCU1 to MCU2 update, they will:
  • Replace the physical MCU, so the processor that runs all the media interface/controls that drive the main screen and instrument panel, browser, climate control, etc. But this does not touch autopilot in any way as stated above
  • Remove the AM/FM/XM radio tuner - the original radio tuner is not compatible with the new MCU
  • If selected as an addition upgrade item, install a new digital FM/XM radio tuner ... note there is NO option for AM with MCU2.
Hopefully you will see that all of your profiles will be carried over, although depending on how long the hold the car, some of these may need to download from cloud after you pick-up the car.

From my experience, any Homelink devices that you may have programed (like garage doors) will not get carried over and you will need to reprogram the homelink unit.

Note that there is a slight difference in the reset functionality for the screens. Currently your car with AP1 has two different resets ... pressing the scroll wheels resets the main center display. To reset the instrument panel you need to do a separate reset using the two buttons above the scroll wheels. After the MCU2 upfit there will be just a single scroll wheel reset and this will reset both screens at the same time. Reason for this is that the instrument panel is now just a slave display off the the main MCU processor, and not it's own independent processor as with MCU1.

One tip ... make sure before you leave the service center than you can not only connect to your car with the app, but lock/unlock/start climate control via the app. Some have had problems where the service center forgets a step to fully enable app capability, or for some reason it doesn't take the first time.

Thank you so much! That is EXACTLY the breakdown I was looking for. I am excited for the screen and processor upgrade. Especially with the bubbling on my screens. I am going to do the Sirius/FM upgrade with it for sure! Thank you again for your detailed and knowledgeable response to this (and my other questions you have also answered)!

One followup question! I saw there was an eMMC recall (mine not affected). When I get my MCU2 upgrade is that upgraded as part of the package or is that something separate I would have to request?
The MCU upfit will supersede the need to do the eMMC recall.

The original MCU1 used a fairly small eMMC chip, and combined with Tesla pounding it by continually rewriting with a ton of low level system diagnostic messages, the chips would wear out over time. That could cause certain functions like turn signals to not always functions which NHTSA ultimately ruled as a safety defect and necessitating recall.

The MCU2 uses a substantially larger eMMC chip, and while all eMMC chips have a finite life, the combination of much larger size and elimination of the excessive level of data rewrites resolves the issue, for at least as long as anyone has experienced with any car so far.

Reactions: David Harvey
The MCU upfit will supersede the need to do the eMMC recall.

The original MCU1 used a fairly small eMMC chip, and combined with Tesla pounding it by continually rewriting with a ton of low level system diagnostic messages, the chips would wear out over time. That could cause certain functions like turn signals to not always functions which NHTSA ultimately ruled as a safety defect and necessitating recall.

The MCU2 uses a substantially larger eMMC chip, and while all eMMC chips have a finite life, the combination of much larger size and elimination of the excessive level of data rewrites resolves the issue, for at least as long as anyone has experienced with any car so far.
Ahh wonderful! I was confused because in some of the older posts I read it seemed like for the recall people would get the new eMMC chip but NOT a new MCU so I wanted to make sure I did not have to order anything extra kf they were independent. As long as I get upgrades for both I am good!

When my upgrade to MCU2 was completed here in the UK on March 22nd 2021, my driving computer was also upgraded (known here as HW3) or in Tesla parlance, 'Full self-driving computer'.

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 69
  • 1447-Tesla MCU1 upgrade-22.3.21.jpg
    1447-Tesla MCU1 upgrade-22.3.21.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: MdlSP100D'16